• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Millionaire tech entrepreneur shot by cops while defending his home from burglar

Ummmm…. HaKuna Matata is African Swahili.

How would being a native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander help🤔🤔

My bad. Ire. Ire, man. I get all up inda GANGA, man. Because I'm now Pacific Islander, man.

(Pac-Isl has the lowest incidence of crime. Ergo, if I'm PI, no one is going to rob my house.)

How is race not an issue in this situation? Someone else called the cops and said homeowner was WHITE. Cop shows up and sees a dark skinned south Asian guy outside the house with a tricked out black ASSAULT WEAPON with HIGH capacity banana clips, military style optics and military style tricks on every rail shooting into the house.
Race isn't an issue - he was Sri Lankan (basically Indian)! That's like, dark white. Must have been a case of mistaken identity. /sarcasm

Ehh giving potential bad guys a free chance to take the first shot might not be such a good idea. Having cops know at the back of their minds if they do 'use their weapon on duty' they don't automatically get everything taken care of, including paid leave and all civil liabilities paid by the taxpayer is another avenue. Also, no retiring at 28 and getting a pension for the rest of your life after executing a man.

There was a lot of bad in that shoot. People called in someone with a gun in a hotel window. Drunk man (.27 BAC) given conflicting orders by two different officers. In his drunkeness, tries pulling up his pants which the police think is him reaching to his waistband.

Gun ended up being a pellet gun, the guy was unarmed, but that is info the officers couldn't have. That shoot is under the "lawful but awful" folder.

Bad training for generations of law enforcement and the mentality of everyone from judges, prosecutors down to “come and take it” types on NES have us all Dick whipped.

In America people own and carry guns. Not only is it legal, it’s in our f***ing constitution! There is no excuse for a cop to be mag dumping on a dude for holding a gun absent other circumstances. Saying “PSGWSP” only perpetuates this BS.
Think about this. Thanks to the left's attack on police, all the experienced, talented, educated cops have left the profession. They have been replaced by bottom of the barrel, affirmative action, we can't get anyone else replacements. And those are the ones who will be coming to your house for a call.

It's part of the leftist push to bring communism to the US. These less-talented cops will make more mistakes, shoot more innocents, and cause more disruption, thus causing more lack of support and hatred for the police.

That shoot is under the "lawful but awful" folder.
I agree with that, but I will say this. I'm not a cop, but I suspect there are, or were, a lot of cops who wouldn't have felt the need to be that cautious in the first place and would have had him cuffed more quickly and without the f'd up game of Simon Says. There is no life without risk. The less risk cops are willing to take on in situations like that, the more civilians are going to get shot needlessly in situations that, in hindsight, we find lacked much actual danger.

So sad. Exact example of what NOT to do when a cop shows up at your house. Step 1 - Don't be brown. Also would help - don't be holding a tricked out assault weapon outside where scared neighbors can see. Before the cop car even rolls up your block, you need to make sure gun is nowhere NEAR you, get on the ground on you knees, cross your lower legs and stretch out both hands high in the air and open the webbing of your fingers so the cop can see your hands are no threat -- for AHHFISAHHH SAFETY. By following these sensible directions, you might not be killed by the cop and quad tapped with his patrol rifle as soon as he exits the cruiser. Be prepared to have a scared rookie with a patrol rifle pointed at your head barking orders to get on the ground, get kneed at the back of the neck and cuffed before you have a chance to have a conversation with the cop and apprise him of the situation.
On your knees with legs crossed behind you? That’s gonna make me fall on my face. That directive is like designed to have you fumble and be ventilated. Like that pest control guy in the hotel, the cops AR said “you are f***ed” on the dust cover lol

Think about this. Thanks to the left's attack on police, all the experienced, talented, educated cops have left the profession. They have been replaced by bottom of the barrel, affirmative action, we can't get anyone else replacements. And those are the ones who will be coming to your house for a call.

It's part of the leftist push to bring communism to the US. These less-talented cops will make more mistakes, shoot more innocents, and cause more disruption, thus causing more lack of support and hatred for the police.
Police have nobody but themselves to blame for the public’s negative view of them.

This is not new and it’s not just the left who have an issue with the cops.

Police have nobody but themselves to blame for the public’s negative view of them.

This is not new and it’s not just the left who have an issue with the cops.
If I had to deal with dirtbags every hour of my work day, I might not be so perfect either.

I cut them a lot of slack.

If I had to deal with dirtbags every hour of my work day, I might not be so perfect either.

Every hour they work they only deal with dirtbags? It’s also what they signed up for.

Good for you. A lot of us have high expectations of people who are able to violate our civil rights. They are the armed enforcement wing of the government and I view them as such.

LOL you think other professions don't deal with difficult people? Psychopaths aren't the way they are because difficult civilians make them so. They were psychopaths before and policing is the only profession that would let them in. Also, not everyone a cop encounters is a dirtbag (although they like to think so).

I agree with that, but I will say this. I'm not a cop, but I suspect there are, or were, a lot of cops who wouldn't have felt the need to be that cautious in the first place and would have had him cuffed more quickly and without the f'd up game of Simon Says. There is no life without risk. The less risk cops are willing to take on in situations like that, the more civilians are going to get shot needlessly in situations that, in hindsight, we find lacked much actual danger.
If I was make a point about one part of this that was f***ed, from point of call to the first suspect exiting the room had to have been a fair amount of time. 20 minutes at least. Call comes in > dispatch police > police arrive > determine room on fifth floor from witness employees > climb / elevator the fifth floor > yell for occupants to exit > occupants don't hear cuz drunk > call the room phone > they answer and exit one at a time. No shots fired in all that time. Which means you aren't dealing with an active shooter taking up an elevated position, at most it is a potential active shooter, and as time goes on the probability of it being an actual shooter goes lower and lower. Especially when there are no soft targets around the hotel.

Taking it to the flip side, even typing up and looking up the info here took me 20 minutes, under no stress. Trying to pull all that together without the benefit of the internet to handle all the important research and data gathering versus doing it in real time on scene?

What risks were present at the time. Not what we knew after the fact, but with only the information available at the time. I believe we've had the "if it came to engaging vs escaping a shooter" argument on here, and most of us are on the tuck tail end of things, especially if family is involved. Which is to say, most of us are risk averse.

watched video. read some of the mind numbing comments here. If that guy was an “entrepreneur”, then he was also the stupidest entrepreneur in the history of entrepreneurism. If police are responding there is no way on earth anyone with functioning cortex would go outside of their home, let alone with a visible firearm. Further, if one is asking for help from police (by calling 911) then why would the same individual make their job harder? This guy did not leave his home to protect anyone’s life. It’s inexcusably stupid.

If police were called to my home for a break-in, and they found someone outside with a rifle, I’d hope they shoot the bastard on the spot!

Taking it to the flip side, even typing up and looking up the info here took me 20 minutes, under no stress. Trying to pull all that together without the benefit of the internet to handle all the important research and data gathering versus doing it in real time on scene?
I'm not going back to watch it all over again, but my guess was that they were inordinately concerned that they would be ambushed at the room and so were trying to extricate the "perps" one at a time from a safe position. I think based on what they knew at the time that this was a "dangerous" (to the public) level of caution that just wasn't warranted by anything they knew or were seeing at the scene.

I'm not going back to watch it all over again, but my guess was that they were inordinately concerned that they would be ambushed at the room and so were trying to extricate the "perps" one at a time from a safe position. I think based on what they knew at the time that this was a "dangerous" (to the public) level of caution that just wasn't warranted by anything they knew or were seeing at the scene.

That was exactly the case. I don't know what is warranted for level of caution for that call. I do know interpreting that reach as a reach for a weapon was a reasonable thought. I just know I would not want that job.

Back
Top Bottom