Mini 14 mags

SKS Ray

NES Member
I recently picked up a mint stainless Mini 14 and love shooting it. I have one of the factory 5 round mags that came with it, and a pre ban 20 round aftermarket magazine. Problem is the pre ban mag sometimes fails to feed unless I have it positioned just right. I've heard of converted AR mags that people have problems with and I don't think this is one of them, just an old high cap mag made in the US that doesn't work too well. Is there any thing I can do to make it feed more reliably? I know its vague since I don't have a shot of the magazine to show but has anyone had experiences with aftermarket mags and had to do filing or tweaking on them?

Don't know how easy, but check some other forums "for sale" boards for pre-ban Mini-14 mags.

Another thought is replacing the springs with Wolff springs (available typically from Brownell and Midway for short money).

Ruger factory mags will work well. Most aftermarket mags don't work well, if at all. I quickly got $50 each when I sold off all of my Ruger factory mags.
Sorry, but there aren't any alternatives, unless someone has recently started making high quality mags for the Mini.
There are no viable conversions of other non-mini14 mags.
Jack

The old PMI Precision Metal Industires mags seeem to work well. I had abunch when I had my mini and they all worked. Usually these can be found NIW at most gun shows. I believe the company is no loner in Business.

Factory ruger Hi caps can be very pricey. I was told guys that have the full auto Rugers will pay top dollar to get Factory mags. I also dont belive Ruger sold to many Hi-caps to the civilian market

I have a clear polycarbonate (Lexan, maybe?) "combo" mag; Mini-14/AR-15.

I never used it in a Ruger because I sold the Mini as soon as I bought my AR, but it works well in the AR. You might look at one of those.

Of course, since AR mags are plentiful, I don't really need a combo mag anymore.

Back
Top Bottom