Mini SHTF scenario

That was why I was questioning because I have heard both but those selling filtration and home distillation seem to be the ones say it is safe and the ones saying it is unsafe seem to have an agenda as well. I'm leaning that for short term and with adequate food drinking distilled water shouldn't pose a problem but if I assume, well...

I'm on a well. I store enough treated water to last my family a month. I also live next to a small lake and like humans thousands of years ago, know how to start a fire.

Plenty of options...

1)I have enough gas for the generator where I can run it for a week or so. The well will run no problem.
2)Next, I have a hot tub with around 600 gallons in it. I can boil and filter it for another long term option.
3)If need be, I can rig up a rain catch, and tap the hot water heater.
4)Finally, I am with in hiking distance of a spring fed lake

That said, I plan on putting in my Flojack Emergency hand pump for my back yard well in a couple months. I think I have emergency water stores covered NP.

Like derek says, we have around a weeks worth of water on hand. We don't drink our tap water, and I get the stuff pretty cheap at work.

stored water = 80 gallons (drinking and cooking)
frozen water to help freezer run more efficiently when not full is currently 12 gallons. (defrost, boil and use for cleaning)
our dehumidifier catches about 2.5 gallons per 3 days currently (with a little treatment -boil or other - could be used for cooking)
Lake is less than a mile away (treat and use as needed)

I have a 55 gallon drum, plus there is the 50 gallon hot water heater. If I need more than that, I can filter/boil.

But, I don't enjoy sitting in my own stench for very long; that takes quite a bit of water to shower. But, since this is only a localized water outage, I would simply shower at the gym at work. (That's what I did during the week of power outage last October.)

Wow. My plan was to dig a hole in the back yard, put a bucket down at the bottom, cover the hole with a plastic bag (weighting the edges so it doesn't blow away or fall in, then place a very small stone in the middle of the plastic, just enough weight to create a low point over the top of the bucket. Leave it overnight and in the morning you'll have some water.

It's a lot easier to tap the water heater!

I am in the process of digging a sump pump hole in my basement. I hit water 6" down.

I'd use my MSR Miox water purifier to purify my sump pump water, then drink it.

I have town water plus a well. I have a bailer that I can use to get water from the well, but at some point I'd like to fabricate a quality hand pump. I also have 15 gallons of water stored in my basement plus my 80-gallon hot water heater. I have the water thing pretty much covered.

How far down can a hand pump work? I have an old well which was replaced due to state regulations (could not pump enough continuously over 14-48 hour period), which I'm sure is still just fine. I am hoping they didn't dump rocks down it, and just capped it off. A hand pump would be really nice, and could be used to water the garden all summer.

If you have a well, the pump is FUBAR, and jammed in the casing - the well service company will take 72 hours minimum to get there, but "guarantee" you'll be OK within 148 hours.

Bottled water is in short supply at the local store (can't make it too easy [wink]) and you can get one case of 24 16 ounce bottles.

Enjoy.

I have enough food and liquid to make it at least a week. I can't think of a single reason my well pump would be stuck in the casing. Also I work for a pump company granted we don't do anything residential, and can't drill a well, but I'm reasonable sure I can call in a few favors to be back up and running within 12 hours.

How far down can a hand pump work? I have an old well which was replaced due to state regulations (could not pump enough continuously over 14-48 hour period), which I'm sure is still just fine. I am hoping they didn't dump rocks down it, and just capped it off. A hand pump would be really nice, and could be used to water the garden all summer.

It depends on the pump but if it's a vacuum pump then 33 ft. is the physical max at which point the weight of the water will create enough of a vacuum that the water actually boils. There are other types of pumps though, google "deep well pumps".

If you are in Mass I bet it was filled. Which if someone decided they weren't going to use it filling is the right thing to do because it would serve no purpose but to allow contaminants into the water supply.

If you are in Mass I bet it was filled. Which if someone decided they weren't going to use it filling is the right thing to do because it would serve no purpose but to allow contaminants into the water supply.

This. Closing unused wells is a regulation in most states for the reason David stated. However, most homeowners don't know that this regulation exists or want to pay the $$ to have it done. It may still be usable. My thoughts only.

Last edited:
If everything else when wrong, I have a 32-gallon trash can that I could line with a plastic trash bag and collect rainwater or melt-water fom the downspout. [wink] The water would be run through the Vario water filter and then become potable.

I will stay put and have my elected officials take care of me. After all, I elected them so they can take care of my needs. They represent me, so If I am in need, they understand my pain, Or......
take care of myself by using the emergency contingency plan I have in place in case of social or environmental distress. Have food, water, health, defense, energy always ready

Even if there's no water in the house, you could just stay at a friend's house in another town. It's just three days. The hard part is not knowing how long a situation will last.

You have lots of water in the hot water tank. Just kill the power and drain it as you need it. I have 55 gallons of water on hand 24/7 because of the HW tank.

Think inside the box. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom