Moopey's LR-308 Build Thread

Yeah from the info I found real quick, it says you check it the same way as 5.56, so I am not sure what's going on.

Something isn't right. If it won't close on a go gauge, your headspace could be off, and I would not fire it, until you can figure it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Forster gauges from midway
Forster Headspace No-Go Gage 243 Winchester 260 Remington 7mm-08

GO says 243-308 1.630

NOGO says 243-308 1.634

Maybe try putting the BCG back together, and trying it that way. With the Forster gauges, you do not need to take it apart.

I put the BCG Back together. Same result. My next step is to take the bolt completely apart. But I need to find a set of punches. know anywhere that sells them locally?

I think there is something else going on. If a 5.56 BCG is the same as a .308 BCG, you do not need to take apart the BCG with the Forster gauges.

If you have a harbor freight near you they have plenty of cheap punches.

ooh, I do actually. Wasn't sure i needed some super special gun only punches. haha. I'll see if I can bribe the wife to go get them while I'm at work. Thanks!

On a more positive note, the Troy rail is the perfect length to cover the gas block and overall the rifle is lighter than I thought it would be. Haven't weighed it though.

Last edited:
Take both the extractor and ejector out so there's no resistance. Put the GO gauge in the chamber. Pull the bolt back half way, let it go and let the buffer spring seat the bolt, then make sure that the bolt closes all the way.

Just let it go?? I would never do that. I use the forward assist, or just press on the back of the BCG with the upper off the lower. Works just fine for me. I would never slam the BCG onto a gauge in my chamber.

Yeah. It's not ideal. But some manufacturers recommend it. Taking both the extractor and ejector off may work with the finger pressure alone. I'd suggest that first.

You would think that would maybe give you a false reading, on top of maybe damaging something.

It should work with pressing on it with your hand. If not, I say something else is wrong.

The wife just left harbor freight with that set of 8 punches.

I may post something in the QD buy. Only downside is no one else has 308 stuff to compare.

Hopefully I can figure this out tonight.

Remove the ejector and spring. Then, with the upper only, push the bolt carrier forward, it should go into battery. No Go is at the upper limit for chamber headspace. Field is over the limit.

Remove the ejector and spring. Then, with the upper only, push the bolt carrier forward, it should go into battery. No Go is at the upper limit for chamber headspace. Field is over the limit.
^This

finally took the bolt completely apart and checked the headspace.....still doesn't go into battery with the GO guage. boo. whats usually the next step? bring the rifle to a gun smith or call either the barrel or bcg manufacturer?

Did you do what I suggested?

Yeah. I took the ejector pin and ejector spring out. The put the bolt back into the carrier, installed the cam pin and firing pin. then placed the entire BCG into the upper. placed the gauge into the chamber and tried putting the carrier into battery and it wont go. Carrier sticks out of the back of the upper a bit.

Like I said, there is something else going on.

Bring it to a gunsmith before you start returning parts.

The guy who I sent you the info for will take care of you and figure it out for not too much money. If something is bad, then return it.

Like I said, there is something else going on.

Bring it to a gunsmith before you start returning parts.

The guy who I sent you the info for will take care of you and figure it out for not too much money. If something is bad, then return it.

Will do. I'll try calling him tomorrow.

Where do you live?

I'm in Taunton.

I hope its something stupid like the gauges being wrong.

Thanks again for the info guys.

Ok. Well your a ways from me. I wish I had it in front of me. As Neil suggested, taking it to a smith would be your best bet at this time. I'm not familiar with your neck,of the woods.

Usually most barrel or BCG's will not have any headspace issues. That is not to say that it doesn't happen from time to time.

Hopefully you can get it figured out, because I don't know what else to try.

Any new news? I live near by and have a 308 I built. I'm more than willing to try and help you out.

I really appreciate the offer. A local member of a .308 forum offered to meet up at the plymouth range tomorrow to see if his bolt would make a difference. If the plans fall through I'll take you up on your offer. Gotta love NES!

Back
Top Bottom