(More) Machine Gun Questions

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
I have three:

What's the difference between a Form 3 and a Form 4?

Who are the machine gun dealers in Mass?

If I were to buy a machine gun from a Mass dealer (I live in Mass), how does the process work? Do I go in, pick one out, pay for it, fill out the paperwork, wait until it's approved, get it signed off by my CLEO, then pick it up?

TIA

Form 3 is for tax exempt transfers. IIRC they're used when title 2 firearms are transferred between FFL/SOTs or through an estate.

One-eyed jack is a NFA dealer and is pretty close to you.

The CLEO signoff comes before the paperwork goes off the the BATFE. Also, you need the MA License to Possess a Machine Gun first. Otherwise, I believe you're correct.

Also, I'm very happy to see you asking these questions.

As jar mentioned Form 3 is used between dealers to transfer the firearm into your state or local to you from wherever else it is.

Form 4 is used to pay the tax/transfer it to you.

You dont need the CLEO sign off for a MG, just when doing a Form 1 for manufacturing.

I have three:

What's the difference between a Form 3 and a Form 4?

Who are the machine gun dealers in Mass?

If I were to buy a machine gun from a Mass dealer (I live in Mass), how does the process work? Do I go in, pick one out, pay for it, fill out the paperwork, wait until it's approved, get it signed off by my CLEO, then pick it up?

TIA

Question one answered.
Any dealer who has an Special Occupational Tax Class 2 can do the transfers, as far as Dealers I think you would be surprised there are quite a few. At ZHA We are, Jack is, I think there are some on the dealers section etc...
On the third question you have it just about right except the signoff is done BEFORE the paperwork gets sent in to the ATF, but yes, go in look and purchase and WAIT>>>>>>>Then Wait some more....Some dealers do not stock many machineguns so you may have to find one advertised and have your dealer purchase it for you (form 3) and then do the form 4 (tax stamp 200.) to you.

Depending what you are looking for, we may have something.

Not certain, but I believe that the C&R would act as it does with other purchases, allowing you to purchase directly from a seller in another state, with all the other NRA approvals and paper work still required.

Ken

Not certain, but I believe that the C&R would act as it does with other purchases, allowing you to purchase directly from a seller in another state, with all the other NRA approvals and paper work still required.

Ken

Yep, what Ken said is correct. You can buy and sell C&R NFA items in interstate commerce with your C&R license. That's one of the reasons there are spaces on Form 4s for FFL information. Because C&R FFLs can't have SOTs, you will have to pay normal transfer taxes. You still have to have CLEO sign offs/fingerprints/pictures/etc and a Green Card in MA.

--EasyD

It's not so much the expense of the federal paperwork and "taxes", or the obscenely inflated costs of the guns (due entirely to the ban on civilian ownership of newly registered guns), it's the cost of feeding them properly. If you're not going to shoot it as it was intended, you might as well get a good airsoft replica and pretend it's the real thing.

Ken

It's not so much the expense of the federal paperwork and "taxes", or the obscenely inflated costs of the guns (due entirely to the ban on civilian ownership of newly registered guns), it's the cost of feeding them properly. If you're not going to shoot it as it was intended, you might as well get a good airsoft replica and pretend it's the real thing.

Ken

Oh, don't worry about that.[wink]

I think that you still have to pencil it out in your log. Jack.

Really???I have never heard that, who/where would you pencil it out to? Not saying you are wrong just never heard of that before...

Also I think DannyK45 meant with C&R MG's and C&R license you don't need to file 5320.20's...

Also call me a stickler for wording but:
... Because C&R FFLs can't have SOTs, you will have to pay normal transfer taxes...--EasyD
With a C&R license when buying a C&R gun from out of state individual you will only have to pay 1 $200 TAX not 2 $200 TAXES, so you can cut out 1 tax on out of state purchases...

Last edited:
Also I think DannyK45 meant with C&R MG's and C&R license you don't need to file 5320.20's...

That's what I meant could not remember the form.

Really???I have never heard that, who/where would you pencil it out to? Not saying you are wrong just never heard of that before...

With a C&R license when buying a C&R gun from out of state individual you will only have to pay 1 $200 TAX not 2 $200 TAXES, so you can cut out 1 tax on out of state purchases...

I agree that there would be no one to pencil out guns to when crossing state lines as a C&R holder. Any other FFL holder that crosses state lines doesn't have to do anything like that, why would a C&R holder?

As to C&R licensees not being able to hold SOTs and still having to pay tax, my statement is completely accurate. The scenario of saving $200 in an out of state transfers is a benefit to the C&R holder, but unrelated to my statement.

--EasyD

I've got one, does the Green Card overlap with a standard LTC-A? In other words if your LTC expires are you still good to go until the Machine Gun License expires as well?

I've got one, does the Green Card overlap with a standard LTC-A? In other words if your LTC expires are you still good to go until the Machine Gun License expires as well?

A Green Card and a LTC are separate.

Also, a Green Card can ONLY be used to poses machine guns. You can't use a Green Card to own/buy/etc other firearms, ammo or large capacity feeding devices.

--EasyD

By "pencil out" I mean that you write in the movement of the gun when you take it to another state. Say you take it to a shoot in NH, you would write in your log with pencil " To NH May 6- May 8." When you get back, you erase it. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom