Mosin Front Sight Adjustment

Ok so I took out my new (to me) mosin today. It was awesome, but I have a question. I left handed and the rifle shoot right. The sight is off to the left a bit, so I tried to adjust it to the center. I attempted to tap the sight to the right but no dice. I tried heating it up and then tapping, but still no luck. I'm fine to adjust the sight picture, I'm just curious if there's a way to get this thing to move.

Last edited:
FYI, I'm assuming the rifle you has is a full lenght 91/30.

If you have a m44 or m38 carbine, you need a different tool for the wider front sight base

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

the sight can be moved by brass drift and hammer with support.....not easy though and more times than not you end up moving it to far....get the tool

the sight can be moved by brass drift and hammer with support.....not easy though and more times than not you end up moving it to far....get the tool

I have one that i took to the range and it was pretty consistant with being about 6 inches off center to the right @100yrds using an SA1. All the shots were on that line so I think I can rule out shooter error. Any advice on how to use the tool (once I get it)? Thanks!

nice thanks for the link.

also my Mosin issue (random and off-topic [laugh] )

I was noticing that I could barely feed any rounds after the first one. Luckily warwickben was there last weekend and told me that it was probably my interrupter. I had no idea what that meant. I stripped it and noticed wood chips in the stock. Re-assembled it and GTG. Rep Ben when you have the chance. [wink]

I have one that i took to the range and it was pretty consistant with being about 6 inches off center to the right @100yrds using an SA1. All the shots were on that line so I think I can rule out shooter error. Any advice on how to use the tool (once I get it)? Thanks!

The amount (roughly) you need to move your front sight is a simple calculation. You need 6.0" of correction on the front sight.
So you multiply 6" x (sight radius measure from back of front post to front of rear leaf sight) 91/30 is about 24" so 6x24 = 144
now you need to change yardage to inches 36"x100 yds = 3600" now divide 144/3600 = .04" so you need to move your front sight .04" to the right to bring the shot group to center....roughly. I use some sort of small reference mark on the front sight....paint, small punch marks ect ect. I then use the little depth tip on my digital caliper to get to roughly where i need to be. I use a punch/hammer and block of something softer than the barrel to move my sights. tool would be easier....but my mind says thats 20+ bucks worth of ammo? same formula works for front sight change for elevation.

The amount (roughly) you need to move your front sight is a simple calculation. You need 6.0" of correction on the front sight.
So you multiply 6" x (sight radius measure from back of front post to front of rear leaf sight) 91/30 is about 24" so 6x24 = 144
now you need to change yardage to inches 36"x100 yds = 3600" now divide 144/3600 = .04" so you need to move your front sight .04" to the right to bring the shot group to center....roughly. I use some sort of small reference mark on the front sight....paint, small punch marks ect ect. I then use the little depth tip on my digital caliper to get to roughly where i need to be. I use a punch/hammer and block of something softer than the barrel to move my sights. tool would be easier....but my mind says thats 20+ bucks worth of ammo? same formula works for front sight change for elevation.

This is great. Thanks! I found this also: Ralph?s Guide to Your First Mosin Nagant 91/30 Pt. 3 | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

I'm not so sure if attaching the bayonet would greatly affect or correct a high shooting 91/30? I have not bothered to try mine.
For me I think its the the actual distance the mosin was "zero" for. Consider that. I don't know for sure but my uncle said he was trained to aim some where between the belly button and belt buckle of a standing person. Or the lowest portion you could see.
So if they zero the mosin for when they where used originally in the trenches a 300-500 yard shot was not uncommon. So a 91/30 zero @300 yards will hit approx 5" high @ 100 and zero @ 500 will hit approx 12" high @ 100.

I like to have my mosin point of impact at 100 yards to be just about 3" high on the 100 meter setting. This gives me a good chance to get close to the center of the SR1 targets while holding at 6 O'clock on the black aim point.

Good thing iscthere are several opptions to correct poa/poi from cheap to complete sight replacement front and rear.

I have not yet seen anyone actually do a bayonet no bayonet test with their mosin nor have i really looked either? You might get lucky and have your groups tighten up with bayonet attached as it will for sure change the harmonics of the barrel???? I know my M44 with bayonet extended shoots aprox 2" right with bayo extended.

Last edited:
I just did the tap adjustment using my set on the front sight. Went real easy after a few soft taps. No need for the sight adjustment tool with Soviet rifle.

Back
Top Bottom