Mosin-Nagant Wildcat???

I am hoping someone here can help me out.

I have been thinking of having on of my numerous M91/30 or a M44 rebarrelled with a 6mm bore.

I know some of he costs of building a "wildcat" rifle like this, but I know nothing of building the cartridge.

I was thinking I could just neck down he russian 7.62x54 to a 6mm and just have the action rebarrelled and reamed for the new "cartridge"

any advice would be helpful

I've looked into your options, and we've discussed them, but, I'll post here, so anybody willing to help will know of what we spoke of.

This also applies to other actions other than a Mosin Nagant.

A 6x54R would be overbore capacity, almost identical to a 6x284. Barrel life would be drastically reduced, and would be about 1500 rounds, assuming a Stainless Steel barrel. Chrome Moly would be worse. For a 6mm, I recommend a 6x250 Savage, commonly used by IBS Hunter Class shooters.

I'd go no smaller than 6.5mm with this case, and actually a 7.62x54R with a .308 bore would give you what you want. You would definitely have to shoot handloads in it, though.

The 338 you PM'd me about would be better, and you could also blow out the case walls, giving you something more like a 338-30 WSM. If you want REALLY long range, build a 338 Lapua Mag, but you'll either pay big bucks, or use an (ughh) 1917 or 1914 Enfield, much as you and I hate them. A Springfield, 98 Mauser or long action Rem 700/Win 70 will be too short, I believe.

Big, clunky, cocks on the closing, heavy. I'd rather use a Winchester Model 70 or Remington Model 700, or a 98 Mauser or 03 Springfield.

But, they're all too short to build a long magnum on.

Remember 1914 or 1917 Enfield, not a No. 1 Mk III or No. 4, MK 1. It may be a tough action, but definitely heavy and clunky. I'd throw a Speed Lock into it anyways.

I realize that there is no way to know without building it and testing it,
but can you give me an educated guess as to the type of velocities and trajectory I might get if I were to go with the 6.5-7mm range.

remember that if I go down in size I am looking for a varmint/pest control cartridge.

you are deffinately right bout the 1914 and 1917 but as you know those rifles do nothing for me. I much prefer my Mosins

as to the 338, would the shorter case of the 54R rather then that of the slightly longer 06, be to underpowered to still have the punch needed for "big game" at langer ranges??? say 450 yards plus

I do agree that the 308 slugs in the 54R case would greatly enhance the untility of this round as you could then load for anything you wanted due to the vast array of bullets with which you can load your cases. I am thinking that I may go that road with this project and see how it turns out, then later on I might try the true wildcat if the desire to do so is still there

A 6.5x54R would have about the same statistics as a 6.5x284, another (used to be) common wildcat, it would also be slightly less than a 6.5-06. The 7x54R would duplicate the 284 Win, or slighlty less than a 280 Rem.

I suggest you try out the RomAK 3, or even my 91/30 (1944 Ishevesk, soon to be a fake sniper), and see what a good bore and .308 bullets will really do. You'll be surprised.

will deffinately have to try it out,
though I will have to wait a while given the fact that the Army would not look too kindly on shipping a rifle with ammo over to me to try out.

occassion has presented itself once again to try out the SVD (real thing) and once again I am not disappointed in the accuracy and punch of this rifle. It also has me thinking again about my ideas for my rifle build once I get home. I think for this one I amgoign to go with the .308 bore and have to learn to reload :? hopefully I can figure that out. If I succeed in making the whole thing work out for what I am trying to do then I will go ahead and give the 6.5x54R another thought.

Back
Top Bottom