Mossberg "590 Shockwave": factory-made 14" barrel non-NFA 12GA firearm

Made a few modifications...none were a piece of cake. Story later...looks awesome.

T9MAMn7.jpg

Ok so here's the deal... If you want the Magpul MOE forend, it takes significant modification to work with the shockwave. Its made for the full length forend hardware on the 500/590s but the shockwave is 1+1/8" shorter. I used my milling machine to machine the internals down that far and then it took some frustrating dremel work and file work to seat the anti-rotation spacer, etc. An hour later and it was on.

The heat shield is much sketchier and I dont endorse what I did. The stock mossberg 500/590 heatshield fits exactly to the end of the barrel but there are issues you need to overcome:
-The shockwave has the oversized/thick walled barrel that the heat shield isnt designed for. It wont fit over the front without significant force.
-Once on, the tightening tabs will not allow a screw through due to the thick walled barrel being lower than normal in the shield.
-The heat sheild will not allow the forend to move once installed.

In order to get the heat shield on, i put a threaded rod into one tab of the heat sheild with four nuts inside. I gradually moved the nuts outward, stretching the heat shield apart until the barrel would slide in. When close, I cut the threaded rod out and used a combination of vice/ratchet nut magic to get the barrel all the way in.

After this, to make the forend able to slide later you want to put the entire thing in your vice and squeeze the heat shield to fit the contour of the barrel to add the least thickness possible where the forend slides along it. This isnt too easy as the metal is somewhat spring tempered and you do NOT want to have to put this on and off more than once as far as i'm concerned. I did this with my milling machine vice and you can see a nice crisp crease in the back of the shield where I set the bend.

This then involved more shaving off the forend, squeezing of the heat shield, etc for 30 minutes until it was cycling smoothly.

I put off what to do up front for a long time but decided F-it, took everything off, used high-heat JB-Weld right up front where all the pressure is clamping the shield to the barrel and repeated the annoying process of installing the heat shield on the barrel.

Without the JB weld, the pressure of the friction alone was so strong I had to dead-blow hammer the last 1/16" onto the barrel so with it, I'm pretty sure this sucker is never coming off unless I want it to. I let it dry then ground the tabs right off since they weren't what was putting the squeeze on the barrel anyways.

It survived a few boxes of ammo so far. I think it will do fine. The JB Weld is not whats holding it on the barrel...there is enough spring pressure that its already stronger alone than I'd have put on there with the tiny nuts and hardware they supplied.

I also got the talon grips for it. I have these on half my guns now and they are awesome. Huge improvement.

kYXvuVV.jpg

Last edited:
Here's hoping these are popular enough that either Mossberg or aftermarket produce a heat shield that fits the 14" barrel without a lot of customization.

where does the rebate indicate TAC-14? it reads "remington 870". they're not the same model. i would be very surprised if Remington is offering rebate on a relatively high demand product (at least for remington) like the TAC-14.
My UPC # was on the list of redeemable shotguns so...

I've been told by a couple shops now that the AG sent out guidance that they are now considering the Shockwave type shotguns as a pistol. One place told me that the state will, in fact, "Be coming for all of those shotguns" and "Dealers have been incorrectly putting them into the system either as shotguns or entering overall length as barrel length." I have no reason to believe they're misleading me or ill-informed, just repeated what I have heard. Has anyone else heard anything?

I've been told by a couple shops now that the AG sent out guidance that they are now considering the Shockwave type shotguns as a pistol. One place told me that the state will, in fact, "Be coming for all of those shotguns" and "Dealers have been incorrectly putting them into the system either as shotguns or entering overall length as barrel length." I have no reason to believe they're misleading me or ill-informed, just repeated what I have heard. Has anyone else heard anything?

[frown] Always taking away our fun. [frown]
[frown] Massachusetts Sux. [frown]
[frown] Maura is a bag of excrement. [frown]
[frown] Baker is not a real Republican. [frown]

This is going to be interesting...

I'm still hoping my state DOES decide these are handguns under state law

I'm still hopeful that New Hampshire state law classifies these as handguns, meaning anybody can have a loaded Mossberg in their vehicle, ATV, etc so long as the barrel length is shorter than 16".

I've been told by a couple shops now that the AG sent out guidance that they are now considering the Shockwave type shotguns as a pistol. One place told me that the state will, in fact, "Be coming for all of those shotguns"
According to GOAL, once these "pistols" have been sold to an individual, they're legal to possess, the AG can only restrict dealers from making any future sales, can't reverse the dealer sales made in the past.

According to GOAL, once these "pistols" have been sold to an individual, they're legal to possess, the AG can only restrict dealers from making any future sales, can't reverse the dealer sales made in the past.

I don't know about that. Didn't Bass Pro shops sell glocks that then had to be returned by the customers because of the AG threatening BP?

Edit:
I remember years ago when Bass Pro opened and started selling Glocks. A rat who owns a gun shop in Attleboro which is North East from here, reportedly called the AG back then and turned them in.

Not "reportedly" . . . the RAT admitted what he did at a BOD meeting a day or so later and was very proud of his accomplishment. I was there and witnessed this, have never been in his shop since that day.

No, it was strictly Glocks that he reported to the AG and the AG demanded that BP recover. I was in the store at the grand opening and went back the following morning when the last Glock sold was returned.

Much of it is still here on NES. I was a Mod here at that time and was furiously deleting posts that members were posting giving evidence of what BP was doing improperly. Too little too late however as the RAT found enough info to contact the AG and bring the house down on BP.

Here's the major thread:
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-Bass-Pro-On-the-wrong-side-of-the-AG-already

There were numerous others as well, much stuff was "sanitized" like the current Mods do today when someone posts the name of a company that will deal with M*******s.

Last edited:
Maybe I ate dumburgers for lunch today, but I read all the posts and I'm still not getting it-- I live in MA, I have a LTC, can I buy one of these in a gun store? If so, which one? Could someone 'bottom line' it for me?

I may be wrong here but fed law says you can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) out of state if it complies with your states law. Maura's enforcement notice 2.0 is not law. Shotgun is available for sale in many neighboring states.

I may be wrong here but fed law says you can buy a long gun (rifle or shotgun) out of state if it complies with your states law. Maura's enforcement notice 2.0 is not law. Shotgun is available for sale in many neighboring states.

Except federally it's not a "shotgun" it's a "firearm".

Except federally it's not a "shotgun" it's a "firearm".
Correct -- this means you need to have it transferred via an in-state FFL, and Maura has those under her thumb.

See the November ATF Newsletter from 2009:
BATFE said:
A firearm with a pistol grip in lieu of the shoulder stock is not designed to be fired from the shoulder and, therefore, is not a shotgun. Since it is a firearm “other than a rifle or shotgun,” the purchaser must be 21 years of age or older. Additionally, interstate controls apply. The licensee and transferee must be residents of the same State.
For why this is true, check out 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)

Last edited:
Correct -- this means you need to have it transferred via an in-state FFL, and Maura has those under her thumb.

See the November ATF Newsletter from 2009:

For why this is true, check out 18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)
This is why courts and legislators are not allowing changes to this. Post brady bill there is really no remaining justification for that part of the GCA other than restricting access of non criminal gun owners to legal guns.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I wonder how many FFLs incorrectly transfer these as "shotguns" vs "other"? Any pistol grip only (stock never having been on it) would be an "other".

I'm still hopeful that New Hampshire state law classifies these as handguns, meaning anybody can have a loaded Mossberg in their vehicle, ATV, etc so long as the barrel length is shorter than 16".

Yea, but getting them into the state is the hard part (just like any off list handgun)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

In short, it shouldn't....

But legally it should just be put in like any handgun.

Or better yet, sell it to me and let me deal with it :)

Please read above posts by Kevin_NH. this thread is just full of wrong info. it's painful.

please stop calling the shockwave a pistol. by this logic then a car is a boat and a foot is a hand. please.

- - - Updated - - -

How should the Shockwave/ TAC-14 look on an E FA-10?

it's not clear how to completely accurately perform an FA10, but then again the FA10 is completed and that's all that matters. the options are only handgun, rifle or shotgun. this highlights the sad state of full potato created by asinine state and federal descriptions of what-is-what. my understanding is that various FFLs were calling the AG's office to obtain info on this, and the response was "can't sell it because it's a handgun". well that's absurd on a range of levels, including simple logic, federal laws, ATF guidance, etc. But hey when was the last time it stopped them before? My guess it that they're egregiously throwing it under "the list" because the AWB clearly doesn't apply.

maybe MFS did an "interview" on the shockwave to expedite the ban process. who knows.

Last edited:
Please read above posts by Kevin_NH. this thread is just full of wrong info. it's painful.

please stop calling the shockwave a pistol. by this logic then a car is a boat and a foot is a hand. please.

- - - Updated - - -

it's not clear how to completely accurately perform an FA10, but then again the FA10 is completed and that's all that matters. the options are only handgun, rifle or shotgun. this highlights the sad state of full potato created by asinine state and federal descriptions of what-is-what. my understanding is that various FFLs were calling the AG's office to obtain info on this, and the response was "can't sell it because it's a handgun". well that's absurd on a range of levels, including simple logic, federal laws, ATF guidance, etc. But hey when was the last time it stopped them before? My guess it that they're egregiously throwing it under "the list" because the AWB clearly doesn't apply.

maybe MFS did an "interview" on the shockwave to expedite the ban process. who knows.
You may not agree with it, but according to the state if Massachusetts it is considered a off list handgun. Since the efa-10 form is a Massachusetts form, you should follow their guidelines.

Their guidelines are wrong, but that dosnt mater. Same as if you were to efa-10 a new AR. It's legal (because her change was illegal) but you still can't do it.

Back
Top Bottom