Most Current Technician and General Question Pools with Answers?

aeromarine

NES Member
A while back another NES member was kind enough to send me copies of the Technician and General Test Pool Questions with answers, and I have been using those to study for the upcoming test session in Billerica scheduled for November 9th at the local public library. However, I just learned that I let so much time pass between receiving those questions and starting my preparations that the information I obained is now out of date. If anyone has copies of the current 2010 and 2011 questions with answers for the Tech and General tests I would be very grateful if you would send them to me by email. Thanks and I look forward to getting on the air soon!

Last edited:
The Tech question pool changed in July 2010 and the General pool changed in July 2011 so if your books are older than that some of the questions will be different.

You can download the current question pools from the ARRL here.

When I was studying I used the online test generator at QRZ.com. Click on Practice Tests in the upper right area.

Good luck!!!!!

I just passed the tech on Saturday at a tech in a day class in Gloucester. Best way to pass is to read the question and only the answer, rinse, wash and repeat. Do not try to understand the wrong answers and learn the material, just learn the correct answers and when you take the test the answer will pop out at you.

Thank you for the very helpful suggestions! The QRZ.com site was fantastic for practicing the tests.

By the way, if you're intested in practicing code this site is also great and I see it, too, has sample written tests for all the ham licenses. I've been using it on and off for several years to practice code and never noticed the written test sections before!

http://aa9pw.com/morsecode

Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

Although I studied using the out of date question pools, after making a few runs through the practice exams on www.aa9pw.com and www.QRZ.com I was able to squeak by and pass both the Technician and General tests last night in Billerica. By coincidence NES member "Big Bird" was one of the three VE test proctors!

Currently, I have an old ICOM R7000 and Kenwood R1000 which should provide pretty broad band coverage, and am working on getting some antennas up so I can listen in while waiting to get a transmitter or transceiver and finally get on line. I used to listen to a lot of short wave radio and crystal set transmissions back in the mid 1950s when I was very young. But then life started getting busy. I'm really looking forward to getting back into it!

I have to give full credit to the NES "Ham" forum and the Billerica Radio Society for finally getting me motivated enough to get my license. It's always been on my mind to do but some how he various steps required and, in particular, finding a VE just created too many obstacles to deal with. But hat thinking seems pretty silly now.

All this talk about tests and licenses and equipment. Blah blah blah. Let's get on the air.

ETA. Congrats on the new license. You're going to have a lot of fun

Last edited:
Let's try for 3.893.00 if that's not open we can post another frequency here. ACtually i'm going to start a new thread right now announcing our plans for the QSO and we can post any updated frequency changes there.

I don't yet have a good HF antenna so I tried using a single length of long wire running across the second floor of my house and also plugged my old Kenwood into the Diamond D130J Discone antenna I use for VHF/UHF scanner receptions. I got mainly static but did hear some conversation down at 3.958 but didn't realize it was the NES group. So I kept searching at 3.983. Wish I had known you had shifted to 2 meters. Guess I should have checked back here to see that. What is the freq for the Waltham repeater?

Here's the info on the Waltham repeater.
Negative offset and a pl tone of 136.5
146.640 - MA Waltham W1MHL FM/
P25 NAC293 136.5 Middlesex 490278 2011/07/26

Back
Top Bottom