• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NEWB question

Alex978

NES Member
I just got a Baofeng UV-5R (3 of them) as well as an upgraded antenna and I'd like to just monitor for now. Is there a list of local frequencies that I can program in to listen (police, fire, etc)? Also, is there a frequency that is used most, like in the CB world 19 is the "go to"??? TIA

I just got a Baofeng UV-5R (3 of them) as well as an upgraded antenna and I'd like to just monitor for now. Is there a list of local frequencies that I can program in to listen (police, fire, etc)? Also, is there a frequency that is used most, like in the CB world 19 is the "go to"??? TIA
If you program in the FRS channels you can yell at some of the neighborhood kids calling each other "poop head" over their walkies..... 🤣

www.nerepeaters.com

www.repeaterbook.com

146.520 is the 2m simplex calling frequency. You won't likely hear much, but it's worth programming in. 446.000 is the 70cm simplex calling frequency. Same there.

You can also program in the FRS, GMRS, MURS frequencies. Technically that radio is not approved for use on those services. Technically. You can certainly monitor them with it though, just not transmit. Technically.

Sadly, most people who buy a 'feng, and program in their local repeaters are disappointed with the lack of chatter.

Some people find programming Baofengs from the keypad to be a rite of passage. It's not. It's the worst interface in the world of radios, and learning to do it doesn't prepare you for programming other radios. Get the programming cable and use Chirp.

Then get your ham license. Listening is one thing, but I assume you got them "for emergencies". You'll need to actually get on the air and learn what works, what doesn't, etc. It's not an exclusive club, quite the opposite. The tests are there to be passed, not to weed people out.

www.nerepeaters.com

www.repeaterbook.com

146.520 is the 2m simplex calling frequency. You won't likely hear much, but it's worth programming in. 446.000 is the 70cm simplex calling frequency. Same there.

You can also program in the FRS, GMRS, MURS frequencies. Technically that radio is not approved for use on those services. Technically. You can certainly monitor them with it though, just not transmit. Technically.

Sadly, most people who buy a 'feng, and program in their local repeaters are disappointed with the lack of chatter.

Some people find programming Baofengs from the keypad to be a rite of passage. It's not. It's the worst interface in the world of radios, and learning to do it doesn't prepare you for programming other radios. Get the programming cable and use Chirp.

Then get your ham license. Listening is one thing, but I assume you got them "for emergencies". You'll need to actually get on the air and learn what works, what doesn't, etc. It's not an exclusive club, quite the opposite. The tests are there to be passed, not to weed people out.
Thank you for this!

No problem. There are a number of similar threads, almost all started by @Coyote33, asking a lot of the questions you'll likely have. It's worth reading through them. Eventually we berated him into getting his ticket. Stick around long enough and we'll get you too!

Assuming you know little or nothing about ham radio, there are three license levels you can get (there are others that exist but only because people are grandfathered): Technician, General, and Extra. Think of Technician as a drivers license that's good for city streets, General lets you get on highways and planes, and Extra lets you get better seating on the highways and planes and lets everyone know you're a nerd. I use those analogies because Tech privileges are almost exclusively local/regional comms, General you can talk all over the country and the world, and Extra you basically get a little more bandwidth in the nicer parts of the bands and you get to look down on everyone.

Some good resources:

No problem. There are a number of similar threads, almost all started by @Coyote33, asking a lot of the questions you'll likely have. It's worth reading through them. Eventually we berated him into getting his ticket. Stick around long enough and we'll get you too!

Assuming you know little or nothing about ham radio, there are three license levels you can get (there are others that exist but only because people are grandfathered): Technician, General, and Extra. Think of Technician as a drivers license that's good for city streets, General lets you get on highways and planes, and Extra lets you get better seating on the highways and planes and lets everyone know you're a nerd. I use those analogies because Tech privileges are almost exclusively local/regional comms, General you can talk all over the country and the world, and Extra you basically get a little more bandwidth in the nicer parts of the bands and you get to look down on everyone.

Some good resources:

Great, thanks again! Definetley diving into it

I see you’re in Peabody. PM me your email address and I’ll shoot you a PDF of Essex County PD, fire, etc. frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom