Mountainhouse Discussion

Since this topic was kinda spun off the MRE groupbuy thread I figured it would be best to give it its own thread...

The Mountain House products are second to none. The #10 cans have a 25+ year shelf life as they are packed in Nitrogen and the Pouches have a 5-7 year shelf life. I have had probably 10 different ones and they are all excellent. The two person pouches...well, I have eaten one myself but then again I always eat too much...could easily be for 2 people in a survival situation.

I regularly participate in the mountainhouse groupbuys on another forum. I honestly don't think we could get enough people here interested to do the kind of volume that they do to get the prices they get. We are talking well below Dealer cost...The last buy was around $100,000. I mean guys buying $6000 worth of it at a whack. They welcome new participants all the time and have no problem with it. You pay either using Gearpay or a Postal Money order and your food shows up at your door in a few weeks...

I would not mind organizing a group order for everyone here and distributing. They offer free shipping on orders over $2000, so we could all save that way. Would anyone be intersted in that? You have to be a paying member on the other forum to participate in groupbuys, so I would not mind organizing since I already am.

Derek, would that be ok with you?

The prices are supposed to be going up slightly in Sept but from talking to the people that run it the prices are only increaing slightly and are still WAY below the prices you would pay anywhere else.

Anyone that is interested I can send you the current price list to look over so you can get an idea of what the prices are like. The one stipulation that Mountain House gives them is that they cannot post the prices they are getting anywhere because their dealers get pissed when everyone knows how much this stuff really costs... [rolleyes][laugh]

If your interested PM me with your email and I will send you the current price list...

Snowjoker, I'd be interested - mostly because I'm wondering how and where to even start stocking food that can be stored yet won't get my wife looking too strangely at me...

I started my wife off by buying a few pouches here and there (You can buy the individual puoches of many of their products at REI, Dick's, Some Walmarts) and letting her try them. She thought they were really good. Then I started sliding in the "These would be really good to have around in case something happened." comments... She is still not as into being prepared as I am but she understands where I am coming from...

Hmm... there's a Dick's right up the street; I was going to stop there on the way home to pick up some ammo anyway...

I hear that the spag is really good...as are the rice dishes.

Like I said in the other thead...me and the kids had the fruit. It was really good, and tasted like fresh fruit.

I got in with Snowjoker for a few cases of the fruit. It's easier to keep around and better than cherieos and the like... And they loved it.

Snowjoker, I'd be interested - mostly because I'm wondering how and where to even start stocking food that can be stored yet won't get my wife looking too strangely at me...

Ross, you can even start with your everyday items. Things you buy all the time, if they are on sale pick up a few more.

For us I just need more shelf space.[laugh]

I run a wilderness counseling program and buy mountain house meals in bulk (40-50 at a time) I can usually get them at 30-50% off retail (plus s&h).
As a matter of fact I can get most outdoor items and climbing gear for the same deal. Anyone interested let me know. I usually place an order once a month or so.

check out www.nitro-pak.com. They're prices on Mountain House are cheaper then thos ethe internet and free shipping for orders over $100. They also sell other survival gear. I was looking at suture kits and other first aid stuff last night.

The group buy prices are about half of what they charge...

Wow! that would be awesome! I should have realized that a group buy would get a huge discount. I was looking for a copy of the pricelist from the last buy to give me an idea so I can prepare myself (my bank account) for the next buy. Can anyone email it to me? [email protected] there is an underscore(_) between the g and 2

Thanks!

I just (Last Night) got the new price list. The prices went up, on average around $3 per case. If you are interested in getting the new price list please let me know and I will send it out to you.

There is no date yet for the next group buy but it is not far off. I will give all the details on the dates etc. once I get them.

FWIW I saw an episode of Unwrapped on the food network last night on camping food and they featured Mountainhouse meals and how they're made. Here are the air times for the episode:

September 04, 2007 12:00 AM ET/PT
September 14, 2007 11:30 PM ET/PT
September 15, 2007 2:30 AM ET/PT

Ok, the Mountain House buy started over at the other forum.

For those of you that are interested in ordering for yourselves PM me and I will let you know which site it is. I am not trying to steal their thunder, I am simply trying to help out anyone that is interested here that wants to try and combine orders to reach the $2000 minimum for free shipping. Please be aware that you need to be a paying member over there to order.

For those of you who want to order through me (Since I am a paying member over there already) I can have all the orders shipped to me. Maybe we can reach the total for free shipping if we combine our orders and then we can set a time and place for folks to meet and get their stuff from me. If we don't make the free shipping total, once I get our total back from the folks running it I will let you know what your total is with shipping and you can send me the money at that point. DO NOT SEND ME ANY MONEY UNTIL I TELL YOU WHAT YOUR TOTAL IS.

Here is what I need and the timeline for orders.

There is a 5% handling charge tacked on by the folks running this. So add that to your total when you send it to me.

Email me at [email protected] with your order in the following format:
Screen Name
Real Name
Phone Number - very important for shipping purposes only
Order (Example)
1 case 30-113 Vegetable Stew $##.##
3 cases 30-121 Chili Mac $###.##
TOTAL $###.##

Order Cut-off Date: September 25, 2007
Payment Cut-off Date: October 5, 2007

If you don't have a pricelist and you think you want in email me and I can send it to you.

Back
Top Bottom