moving gun collection

I am temporarily relocating for work and will be moving all of my belongings during this time. Has anyone moved their gun collection via moving company. Any issues? Considerations? My safe is going too. ship the wrapped or cased in the safe? Thoughts?

How far are you going (MA -> NH, MA -> CA, etc)? Is the moving company insured and bonded? Can you possibly move the firearms yourself and have the movers just move the safe?

all I have to say is... buy every gun you've ever wanted during those 9 months... BEFORE moving back. [smile]

moving 1/2 way across country for a 9 month deal
can't do it all myself
yes, licensed and bonded

You might consider shipping the guns to yourself. If it was a relatively short move, you could have done it yourself, but yeah, halfway across the country is too far to go without stopping. I would be hesitant to have the movers move the guns, even if you put them in a durable, locked container for the move (or kept them in the safe). Main reason would be that the guns/safe/container would be out of your presence for a significant amount of time. I know my own comfort level isn't that high.

How far are you going (MA -> NH, MA -> CA, etc)? Is the moving company insured and bonded? Can you possibly move the firearms yourself and have the movers just move the safe?

+1. That's what I'm doing, emptying out the safes and have the mover lug them empty to the new location.

When I moved east many moons ago, the mover would not accept the responsibility for firearms. ALso, they accepted no chemicals and that inclulded ammunition. Maybe things have changed?

Within the last 5 years I made 3 moves - to Vermont and back to Mass., then to a house in Mass. Each time the movers would not have anything to do with the Firearms or Ammo, Reloading Powder or Primers. All Hazmat stuff, so you may have to move them yourself. Was a trip heading down I-91 with 20+ firearms and over 10K rounds in an Explorer that was just a lil back heavy. Certainly made me keep to the speed limit for once.

Problem with moving guns via movers is you need to provide them with an inventory of everything...including SN's. I also believe they will NOT move ammo...

Moving it yourself is fine, but I would suggest either transporting the ammo/powder in a separate vehicle or better, selling all or most of ammo/powder (to US) and buying a new supply when you reach your new home. Or for that matter, renting the ammo to an NES member. They can't shoot it all before you get back! Um, stay away from Eddie Coyle and someone named Flotter.

Nothing makes you more nervous than driving a small bomb during rush hour...

And whoever suggested buying every gun you ever wanted while you aren't a Mass-ochist, +1,000,000. Keep receipts and logs. (search the gun laws/mass forum for the reason if you don't already know)

When I moved east many moons ago, the mover would not accept the responsibility for firearms. ALso, they accepted no chemicals and that inclulded ammunition. Maybe things have changed?

I'm always amused by the selective concern shown by some people about "chemicals". Is there anything that they do move that doesn't consist of "chemicals"? Maybe they only accept plasma for transport.

Ken

May not be an option but since is for only 9 months why not leave some or all of them with someone in MA, get some where you are going for this short time and forget about it.

Dana

May not be an option but since is for only 9 months why not leave some or all of them with someone in MA, get some where you are going for this short time and forget about it.

Dana

I'm going to regret it... and it'll really stretch me thin... but I'll put myself on the line for another NES member in need.

With MUCH hesitation... I offer my house as a place to store your guns for those 9 months.

I know I know... It's a lot to offer... but I'll take one for the team [smile] [wink]

Just let me know when a good time is to pick up your safes [smile]

When I last moved the movers would not move my guns or any reloading equipment or material. Had to do myself, including the gun safes. A real pain!

Striped1,

if you'd like, you're more than welcome to use my basement. You can lock them in your own safe (I don't want/need the combo or access to your firearms). my home has a security system, and I'm starting construction in the basement, where I will have a room "blocked" in concrete with a heavy steel door (not quite a vault door, but same idea). you can put your safe in there, and pick it up in 9 months when you return.

When I moved up here from Florida the movers would not take the ammo but did allow me to send my 2 handguns with them. The driver of the truck was the only person that knew about the guns and we filled out separate inventory paperwork for the handguns.

My car was placed in the back of the truck and I double locked the guns in a case and put that in the spare tire compartment of my car. The move went well and I still have my firearms.

I have read the legal section of this site and still don't understand about bringing guns into this state.

I think you'll find it in the earliest posts in Gun Laws / Mass.

It boils down to, you can bring with you what you have legally purchased while you were not a resident of Massachusetts.

If you leave Mass, become a resident of say, Utah. Buy firearms there lawfully, if/when you move back to Mass you can simply bring them with you (without any filing, I think) but you would be well served to keep receipts and be able to document when you bought them and that you weren't a Mass resident at the time.

You could be a local hero, because, if I understand those points correctly, you effectively bypass the restrictions on types of weapons.

(corrections /amplifications, anyone?)

IANAL

I think you'll find it in the earliest posts in Gun Laws / Mass.

It boils down to, you can bring with you what you have legally purchased while you were not a resident of Massachusetts.

If you leave Mass, become a resident of say, Utah. Buy firearms there lawfully, if/when you move back to Mass you can simply bring them with you (without any filing, I think) but you would be well served to keep receipts and be able to document when you bought them and that you weren't a Mass resident at the time.

You could be a local hero, because, if I understand those points correctly, you effectively bypass the restrictions on types of weapons.

(corrections /amplifications, anyone?)

IANAL

a little confusion there... you still cant bring back "assault weapons" with evil features, or post ban high cap mags. as far as "bypassing" restrictions, what restrictions are you referring to? if you mean buying firearms not for sale in mass, ie kimber, springfield, hk, new glocks, etc, etc you wouldnt need to prove anything about buying them legally out of state. There is no restriction on the ownership, only on their sale by dealers.

a little confusion there... you still cant bring back "assault weapons" with evil features, or post ban high cap mags. as far as "bypassing" restrictions, what restrictions are you referring to? if you mean buying firearms not for sale in mass, ie kimber, springfield, hk, new glocks, etc, etc you wouldnt need to prove anything about buying them legally out of state. There is no restriction on the ownership, only on their sale by dealers.

I guess those are the restrictions I was talking about. My recollection from reading the posts (and I was reading a lot of stuff at the time, so some of this is likely to be jumbled).

This thread talks some about that subject: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=508

Also, though, those early discussions talked about what did or did not have to be registered via fa-10. If you move to Massachusetts while owning / bringing a gun you don't have to register. This thread talks about that subject. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2600

Both threads are old, things could have changed. They could be wrong. They could be incomplete. I could have misunderstood. IANAL.

If it was a relatively short move, you could have done it yourself, but yeah, halfway across the country is too far to go without stopping.

Uhh, the vast majority of the country, especially the middle is not NY or MA. You don't need a license for anything. Who cares if he stops, so long as it is not in NY?

Uhh, the vast majority of the country, especially the middle is not NY or MA. You don't need a license for anything. Who cares if he stops, so long as it is not in NY?

Hey, if you're comfortable with leaving your collection, worth a significant dollar value, in the trunk of your car overnight in some hotel parking lot, be my guest. I just a) don't trust the vagaries of other state's laws that I don't know b) don't trust hotel/motel parking lots and c) can drive a very long distance in one go. I'd still be tempted to float my collection down on a boat to avoid NY though. [wink]

If you live outside MA and move here, you have to get an FID or LTC after a short period or else you can't permanently keep what you brought in.

Dana

If you live outside MA and move here, you have to get an FID or LTC after a short period or else you can't permanently keep what you brought in.

Dana

I think its like 60 days.

The first thing I did when I got here was join the NRA, don't give me a hard time...I know I should have joined years ago, join GOAL and visit the local police station to find out what I needed to do to get my permit. I got everything taken care of within the grace period.

I think its like 60 days.

The first thing I did when I got here was join the NRA, don't give me a hard time...I know I should have joined years ago, join GOAL and visit the local police station to find out what I needed to do to get my permit. I got everything taken care of within the grace period.

180 days.

180 days.

I got the 60 days from this quote on GOAL's website:

"The law exempts new residents from state licensing requirements for 60 days. However, one may not transport any firearm, rifle or shotgun during that 60-day period, as the exemption is only for possession in the home while applying for the necessary license(s)."

Did I misinterpret? Sorry for going off topic...[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom