• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Moving to Boston

SPO38

NES Member
So, I plan on moving to Boston in the near future. I own a pre-7/20 AR. I had just planned to leave it at my folk's house in the 'burbs, but I'm told that even the ownership (not posession) of the rifle requires a special license. Is there any truth to this?

So, I plan on moving to Boston in the near future. I own a pre-7/20 AR. I had just planned to leave it at my folk's house in the 'burbs, but I'm told that even the ownership (not posession) of the rifle requires a special license. Is there any truth to this?

Yes, it is true. The one-time opportunity to get the license has long passed.

http://goal.org/masslawpages/bostonawban.html

ETA: ownership ok, not possession within Boston. If you really care about any of this.

Last edited:
If you already live in MA. and have an LTC A you have no problems in still owning the rifle.You just can't own it in Boston,or just let say keep it in your Boston location.

Yes, it is true. The one-time opportunity to get the license has long passed.
The one-time opportunity was for a city of Boston AW license and has nothing to do with the unfortunate event of 7/20.

Thank you all for the responses!

If you already live in MA. and have an LTC A you have no problems in still owning the rifle.You just can't own it in Boston,or just let say keep it in your Boston location.

Well that's my question. I plan to change over my LTC, however I wouldn't be bringing the rifle with me. To be honest, I'm leaving all of my long guns with family as I feel its a more safe location for them. I just wanted to make sure that I'm ok to own the rifle and live in the city, even if I'm not actually possessing it in the city.

You can still own it, no problem. Just don't ever bring it into Boston.

Maybe you should clarify if you are moving to the city of Boston or the Boston area, but live in other town near Boston. LTC's are determined by the chief of police of the town you live in.

I know it, I can read it, but I still don't get how it is legal for a city or town to go against MA State law, which itself is going against Federal law and the US Constitution. How on earth is a person to know and obey all of these individual local variations, not become a PP and stay out of prison?

Last edited:
I know it, I can read it, but I still don't get how it is legal for a city or town to go against MA State law
The Boston AW ban required state legislative approval of a "home rule petition". Also, MA does not have any specific pre-emption law, so prohibiting something allowed by state law is not necessarily "going against MA State law".

Back
Top Bottom