muzzle brake vs flash hider

hello,
so as i understand flash hiders are 1 of the evil features that combined with 2 more would make a rifle illegal? so detachable mag and pistol grip plus flash hider = assault rifle? (post ban configs obv) so would a muzzle brake or compensator be legal?

hello,
so as i understand flash hiders are 1 of the evil features that combined with 2 more would make a rifle illegal? so detachable mag and pistol grip plus flash hider = assault rifle? (post ban configs obv) so would a muzzle brake or compensator be legal?

if the barrel is threaded you will have to permanetnly attach the brake/comp, but yes they are legal and not an "evil feature" unlike flash suppressors.

thanks. i did read the earlier post that was similar to mine but got even more confused than when i started reading it. so off to order a "compensator" and some liquid solder! 8)

1. A detachable mag is NOT an "evil feature."

2. I sincerely doubt that "liquid solder" will meet the criteria.

The detachable mag is a prerequisite, not a feature. You can have only one feature (pistol grip, usually)

The standard for permanently attached brakes tends to be blind pinning and welding. Silver solder (1100 degree mp) would be the bare minimum. I doubt this is what you're using.

I fear that welding would compromise the barrel integrity. I guess I could very well solder the comensator. but I think that would look like isht.. i guess i'll just mig weld it with as low as possible heat.

The majority of permamently affixed brakes out there are welded. It does not compromise barrel integrity.

1. A detachable mag is NOT an "evil feature."

2. I sincerely doubt that "liquid solder" will meet the criteria.

Solder is fine provided it melts higher than 1100 degrees. You would want to use something like:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=6647/Product/STL_1205_SILVER_BRAZE

It's probably more expensive than sending your barrel away to be pinned & welded but it is an option. Just put is on the threads, install the comp and heat the whole thing up with a torch.

Which "liquid solder" does NOT.

Hence my admonition.

Stop being difficult ... the one I posted melts at 1145 degrees so will work and be legal and is solder. Solder is defined as:

"any of various alloys fused and applied to the joint between metal objects to unite them without heating the objects to the melting point."

So therefore any material used to join 2 objects together without melting them together (that would be welding) is considered soldering.

- Adam

Stop being difficult ... the one I posted melts at 1145 degrees so will work and be legal and is solder.

Well, how very wonderful for you. And how utterly irrelevant.

As those of us who were paying attention realize, the OP referred to using "liquid solder" to attach his muzzle brake. As "liquid solder" is an oxymoron, he obviously was NOT referring to anything metallic and/or requiring heat. What the OP appears to be contemplating is this, or an equivalent thereof:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-25906-Liquid-Solder-Tube/dp/B000HBM2ZI

Ergo, it will NOT meet the temp / permanency requirements for a muzzle brake in MA.

you guys are like little girls pocket book fighting..

i am just going to pin and weld it. I contacted someone that does this for a living and they were awesome about it and gave me the directions.

The ATF made a ruling on what constituted a permanent attached muzzle device. It is still in existence for overall barrel length. IE. a 14.5 inch barrel that has a permanent muzzle device to make it the legal 16 inches.

However, the ATF no longer cares about threaded barrels. MA does, but there has been no legal definition by MA on what constitutes a permanent device on the muzzle for the barrel to be considered not threaded.

Sticking with the ATF interpretation, might give you something to hang your hat on, but there is no state definition.

The ATF requires 3 weld tacks equally spaced around the barrel, or silver soldered, or blind pinned to be considered a permanent part of the barrel.

So can anyone tell me if the PWS FSC47 is legal in MA??? Its designated a Compensator but the company mentions it has flash suppression properties too.
http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=6

First:

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

Second:

Yes.

So can anyone tell me if the PWS FSC47 is legal in MA??? Its designated a Compensator but the company mentions it has flash suppression properties too.

Most probably legal. According to the letter on the manufacturer's website (see link below) ATF ruled the FSC47 not a flash suppressor, which is the best you can go on, as the state does not seem to offer any such determination.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/documents/ATF_30_47.pdf

So are all threaded barrels illegal in Mass?

No, it is context specific.

Threaded barrel on most handguns = legal (Except the odd pistol that violates the MA AWB, like a typical postban AK/AR pistol)

Threaded barrel on bolt action rifles = legal

Threaded barrel on semiautomatic rifles = probably illegal if the rifle has a pistol grip and a detachable mag , pending other AWB crap. If rifle is preban, then it doesn't matter.

Also, if the threads are unuseable, you have a barrel nut welded on over them, or some other muzzle device welded/pinned/silver soldered on over them, then the threads don't count as an
evil feature because they're rendered useless.

-Mike

I have a 10-22 with a tactical solutions threaded barrel and TS compensator. I never thought it was a problem because it does not fall under the AW rules, IE no pistol grip, no bayonet lug etc.

I have a 10-22 with a tactical solutions threaded barrel and TS compensator. I never thought it was a problem because it does not fall under the AW rules, IE no pistol grip, no bayonet lug etc.

If it doesn't have a pistol grip, adjustable stock, bayonet lug or grenade launcher, the threaded barrel is legal.

right off there website....

All of the FSC Series muzzle devices have been classified as a non-flash suppressing device by the BATFE, thus removing any restriction from assault weapon ban states or provinces. See the BATFE document

Back
Top Bottom