Muzzle Brakes Vs. Compensators for AR

The machining quality of Ultradyne devices is outstanding. They all include a timing nut mounting system (no crush washers).

This is what we use on our 10.5” barrels, it is 1.69 inches in length.

Keep in mind this is a linear compensator, the theory for us is that with that short of a barrel we want everything going away from the shooter as much a possible.

🐯
How's the athena work out for stuff like shooting indoors and mitigating concussion from the blast? I have been eyeing that one but thinking of going with a Hera Arms Linear Comp Gen 2 LC Gen.2 | HERA GmbH

How's the athena work out for stuff like shooting indoors and mitigating concussion from the blast? I have been eyeing that one but thinking of going with a Hera Arms Linear Comp Gen 2 LC Gen.2 | HERA GmbH

I don't shoot indoors. The function is fine and as stated the machining is excellent. Sorry, I cannot help with a comparison to the Hera Arms comp other than to note the difference in the MSRP for that German made product vs. the US made Ultradyne.

🐯

I don't shoot indoors. The function is fine and as stated the machining is excellent. Sorry, I cannot help with a comparison to the Hera Arms comp other than to note the difference in the MSRP for that German made product vs. the US made Ultradyne.

🐯
Yeah the ultradyne is cheaper. It's kind of a size thing, wouldn't mind trying out a larger muzzle device. The A2 is okay indoors but i'm hoping a linear comp will send the blast away better.

I have the Hera Arms Gen 1 LC and love it…

View attachment 505128

Sweet, mine should be here next week. Very excited to try it. It looks really nice with that hand guard too. Seems like kind of obscure company but I found it looking at this comparison table of muzzle devices and recoil mitigation. https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Table-All.jpg

Yeah the ultradyne is cheaper. It's kind of a size thing, wouldn't mind trying out a larger muzzle device. The A2 is okay indoors but i'm hoping a linear comp will send the blast away better.

Sweet, mine should be here next week. Very excited to try it. It looks really nice with that hand guard too. Seems like kind of obscure company but I found it looking at this comparison table of muzzle devices and recoil mitigation. https://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Table-All.jpg

it was recommended by Rainier Arms to bring my Noveske 13.5” barrel to legal length. It looks great with a 15” handguard.

D84A7F41-7D96-4DAB-9228-BC8E63E24E1B.jpeg

it was recommended by Rainier Arms to bring my Noveske 13.5” barrel to legal length. It looks great with a 15” handguard.

View attachment 505206
I am a bit jealous of the noveske 13.5" I really like how that looks with the fde hand guard.

I might put mine on a 14.5" barrel I have. I was originally gonna use a 12" fde hand guard but after seeing yours I might have to use my 15" black hand guard so it tucks in like that. I have been eyeing buying a ballistic advantage 13.7" but I'm not sure If I should.

Was rainier arm's recommendation the main reason for buying? They are good people over there from my experience. Does it feel too heavy at all?

^ ignoring the douche-canoe comment…
(Not helpful in the context of the thread)

🙄

It’s a factory Noveske, so to replace the flaming pig flash hider to Massify it, I needed a longer comp. the size, look and feel of the Hera LC is damn near equivalent to the Noveske flash hider, and was an unnecessary $300 expense, other than “compliance” otherwise, it suits my needs perfectly because I wanted to keep the look and feel of the factory rifle.

Yeah, believe me I would have a suppressor if it were legal.

Ah thats cool, I think it replicates the look of the flaming pig really well. The Hera Arms LC definitely caught my eye with how nice it looked. I hate to say it but some of the muzzle devices companies offer can look kind of shitty. And most are surprisingly small. I got to hold an Archon MFG linear comp and it was much smaller than I pictured. I was actually about to buy a surefire socom + warden combo but decided not to.

The price is terrible, but I already have a brake now which is extremely loud. The Yankee Hill Machine Phantom comp/brake. It is pretty loud inside. So the thought of putting another muzzle brake on that will be pin and welded seems a bit counter intuitive.

Why would one neuter the barrel to 13.5 just to attach heavy muzzle devices back to 16”. That makes no sense. A barrel is a pressure vessel. I want my projectile move as fast as possible. Run a 16” to get the mid length gas system and a lightweight muzzle device for whatever purpose is needed. Or better yet I mostly run 18” rifle length suppressed to get the benefits of max velocity and smooth rifle length gas system.

Why would one neuter the barrel to 13.5 just to attach heavy muzzle devices back to 16”. That makes no sense. A barrel is a pressure vessel. I want my projectile move as fast as possible. Run a 16” to get the mid length gas system and a lightweight muzzle device for whatever purpose is needed. Or better yet I mostly run 18” rifle length suppressed to get the benefits of max velocity and smooth rifle length gas system.

The barrel is factory at that length (13.7” *I misspoke earlier…)

8F6F3C4C-4684-4B65-9966-1B0B233B73F1.jpeg

The barrel is factory at that length (13.7” *I misspoke earlier…)

View attachment 505355

Noveske makes quality components, but most of their products are gimmicky, driven by aesthetics and horribly overpriced. This rifle is a perfect example. It is a complete contradiction. the 308 cartridge has only 13 and whatever inches of barrel yet still brought to 16” overall…it just makes no sense. The gas system appears to be carbine? Good luck getting that to run reliably or smoothly. Hopefully it has an adjustable gas system (Noveske makes a very cool one but it’s expensive and clunky). Unfortunately their website has zero info, again because they rely on fancy cerakote to sell their overpriced rifles.

Regarding this barrel length….
Of late there has been enthusiasm for the 13.7 or 13.9 pinned to 16” with a longer keymo muzzle device like the SOLGW NOX. The idea behind this is that one can get a mid length gas system with a QD muzzle device for attachment of suppressor, yet still maintain shortest possible OAL. In absence of suppressor, dwell time is very short so these run on the margin of reliability unsuppressed. Triarc, Rosco and SOLGW have popularized this barrel setup. Ballistic Advantage and others have joined in. My guess is that Noveske is pulling a “me too” only they’ve totally missed the point from a functional perspective.

For $3500 I could have two LWRC’s or two PWS rifles, or an LMT and a BCM. Or if i were insisting on 308 I’m pretty sure $3500 would get a POF and another nice rifle. No comparison. Noveske is out to lunch.

Last edited:
^ ignoring the douche-canoe comment…
(Not helpful in the context of the thread)

🙄

It’s a factory Noveske, so to replace the flaming pig flash hider to Massify it, I needed a longer comp. the size, look and feel of the Hera LC is damn near equivalent to the Noveske flash hider, and was an unnecessary $300 expense, other than “compliance” otherwise, it suits my needs perfectly because I wanted to keep the look and feel of the factory rifle.
You seem a little Fanny flummoxed there boss.
As if you think the world doesn’t exist beyond the boarders of draconian rule.

Noveske makes quality components, but most of their products are gimmicky, driven by aesthetics and horribly overpriced. This rifle is a perfect example. It is a complete contradiction. the 308 cartridge has only 13 and whatever inches of barrel yet still brought to 16” overall…it just makes no sense. The gas system appears to be carbine? Good luck getting that to run reliably or smoothly. Hopefully it has an adjustable gas system (Noveske makes a very cool one but it’s expensive and clunky). Unfortunately their website has zero info, again because they rely on fancy cerakote to sell their overpriced rifles.

Of late there has been resurgence of enthusiasm for the 13.7 or 13.9 pinned to 16” with a keymo muzzle device. The idea behind this is that one can get a mid length gas system with a QD muzzle device for attachment of suppressor, yet still maintain shortest possible OAL. Triarc, Rosco and SOLGW have popularized this barrel setup. Ballistic Advantage and others have joined in. My guess is that Noveske is pulling a “me too” only they’ve totally missed the point from a functional perspective.

For $3500 I could have two LWRC’s or two PWS rifles, or an LMT and a BCM. Or if i were insisting on 308 I’m pretty sure $3500 would get a POF and another nice rifle. No comparison. Noveske is out to lunch.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game

F23476C1-41BE-4734-848D-865BFF187D30.jpeg

Read reviews. Some compensators are pretty good at doing that other thing that MA doesn't approve.
Or just grab Jerry Miccukek's comp. I've switched to it on everything I have and won't look back.

I just seems to do everything well, and isn't as ear shattering as some other options.

LaRue, noveske, KAC SR-15
All are good. I like my LaRues, do not need anything else.

Yeah, all good sh*t… I wasn’t trying to turn this into a d*ck measuring contest, LOL

We were talking about the comps, I wasn’t even gonna mention what the Hera was mounted on, but the 13.7” barrel is not as common as 14.5”

I’ve owned several ARs, and have upgraded over the years. I like that Noveske, but have BCM and DD also that are just as functional.

I use a custom made blast shield that goes around tranquilo break. Works very well.

Yeah, all good sh*t… I wasn’t trying to turn this into a d*ck measuring contest, LOL

We were talking about the comps, I wasn’t even gonna mention what the Hera was mounted on, but the 13.7” barrel is not as common as 14.5”

I’ve owned several ARs, and have upgraded over the years. I like that Noveske, but have BCM and DD also that are just as functional.
Yeah I just wanted to poke your brain since I just bought the same comp. I already knew this was a hot issue before i posted anything. Not sure why but it really stirs some people up.

Of late there has been enthusiasm for the 13.7 or 13.9 pinned to 16” with a longer keymo muzzle device like the SOLGW NOX. The idea behind this is that one can get a mid length gas system with a QD muzzle device for attachment of suppressor, yet still maintain shortest possible OAL. In absence of suppressor, dwell time is very short so these run on the margin of reliability unsuppressed. Triarc, Rosco and SOLGW have popularized this barrel setup. Ballistic Advantage and others have joined in. My guess is that Noveske is pulling a “me too” only they’ve totally missed the point from a functional perspective.

for what its worth I have a 14.5" with a midlength gas system and i think you can also get 13.7" with midlength.

I have the SUREFIRE Warcomp and LANTAC Dragon® Muzzle Brake and both work well…. I also like the Strike Industries King Comp as a combo comp/flash hider
I have a Lantac Dragon and BMD on a PCC, well made but heavy AF on the front end.

Yeah I just wanted to poke your brain since I just bought the same comp. I already knew this was a hot issue before i posted anything. Not sure why but it really stirs some people up.

for what its worth I have a 14.5" with a midlength gas system and i think you can also get 13.7" with midlength.

Lots of guys, myself included, put a lot of effort into getting their dream rifle — whether a factory build or home build. I get how guys get bent when other guys crap on their pride… many guys have several, but we all have our favorite. It’s funny how something not personal becomes so personal.

I currently have 14.5” also… previously also had a build with a Ballistic Advantage barrel, BCM KMR rail and the Strike Industries King Comp and really love that setup. I decided to sell it at the time and subsequently replaced it with something else.

@cams if you think the Lantac Dragon is heavy, don’t try the Hera LC, LOL

Just stating fact.

While im at it heres another one: People who go out of their way to comply with statist gun legislation are a malignant cancerous growth on the colon of freedom.

While I fundamentally don’t disagree with your off thread comment, I call B.S. Sounds like a whole lot of forum posturing for the purpose of stirring up sh*t.

You posting a picture of a suppressor… so that’s either GFE, or you paid the GOV for right to ownership (cancerous, right?) — so if it’s personally owned, you’re a hypocrite for complying. If it’s owned by Big Army, routinely you follow direct orders from command whether you agree with them or not — compliance.

So since you’re on the moral high ground and own your suppressor without a tax stamp, please continue to educate us all on how we’re part of the problem. I always welcome to hear articulate and educated commentary that add value.

While I fundamentally don’t disagree with your off thread comment, I call B.S. Sounds like a whole lot of forum posturing for the purpose of stirring up sh*t.

You posting a picture of a suppressor… so that’s either GFE, or you paid the GOV for right to ownership (cancerous, right?) — so if it’s personally owned, you’re a hypocrite for complying. If it’s owned by Big Army, routinely you follow direct orders from command whether you agree with them or not — compliance.

So since you’re on the moral high ground and own your suppressor without a tax stamp, please continue to educate us all on how we’re part of the problem. I always welcome to hear articulate and educated commentary that add value.

Lol oof i guess you got me on that one. Touchet. Although here in AZ you can legally build your own not subject to the nfa, all of mine are not.

Suppressors are the best muzzle devices though, they outperform flash hiders at flash suppression plus all the other benefits.

Lol oof i guess you got me on that one. Touchet. Although here in AZ you can legally build your own not subject to the nfa, all of mine are not.

Suppressors are the best muzzle devices though, they outperform flash hiders at flash suppression plus all the other benefits.
I agree with you. For the time being though suppressors alone aren't enough reason to make a dash to a free state just yet. The guys I shoot with in new hampshire sometimes rag about that. Also I believe that a midwestern state had similar laws and the feds screwed a guy over, but I think it was more a shop was selling them outright to citizens and the customer who was involved wasn't building his own.

Back
Top Bottom