My holster project

Well I found myself a new hobby. I'm now addicted to making holsters. I spent the last few nights making myself some IWB holsters. I've worked with leather before so it was nothing new to me. Kydex on the other hand is all new. After a short learning curve with the Kydex I was getting the stuff to form the way I wanted.

My father always tought me to be a craftsman and not to half ass anything. He always tells me to put my heart and soul into everything I do. I'm now teaching my son the same thing. He's only 12 and already asking me to show him how to make a holster. If he takes to it I'll be buying him his own leather working tools. [smile]

This is pretty much my start to finish process for making a holster.

1. Hand cut the leather from a few patterns I made.
2. Bevel the edges and burnish them. Beveling and burnishing makes for a nice edge on the leather that won't wear against your skin when wearing the holster.
3. Make a vacuum form of firearm in Kydex.
4. Cut out Kydex form on bandsaw.
5. Wet sand all edges of Kydex to a nice smooth, shinny edge.
6. Drill out mounting holes in Kydex. Bevel holes for a nice smooth edge.
7. Position Kydex form on leahter and mark mounting holes. Punch out all mounting holes in the leather.
8. Seal leather with an acrylic sealer and let dry.
9. Wipe leather with a leather conditioner.
10. Install Kydex form and belt clips.
11. Test fit and adjust tension.

A couple of the holsters have rubber washers under the mounting screws. The Chicago screws I had were to long and needed washers under them. I ordered some shorter ones. Hopefully they will be in this week. I'm not really a big fan of the rubber washer look. Even though it gives a more "industrial" look.

The holsters on the left are made with horsehide. The upper right is veg. tanned leather. Lower right is drum dyed black. So it is black all the way through to the back. The holster with the Ruger sp101 was made with .080 Kydex. It has less definition and is harder to mold. The other three holsters were made with .060 kydex.

Nice job. Does the ejection port in the slide act as a "lock" in the last photo where the vacuum left an impression?

Yes the ejection port and trigger guard impressions act as "locks". The depth of the impressions and how tight you tighten your belt control how hard/easy it is to draw the firearm from the holster.

Here you go PixelPusher. Leather working tools. Press and vacuum former I made from some scrap metal and wood that I had laying around. Things not in the pics are: Bandsaw, shop vac, drill press, and oven.

ntomsw: I wasn't making these with the intent to sell any. It was more of a just wanted to see if I could do it project. I've had a few members ask if I could make them one. So I might have to reconsider things and maybe make a few and see how things go. For price I would have to say anywhere from $55-$70 depending on choice of leather and Kydex thickness. Looks like I may have to start saving up some $ for blue guns.

They look great just a question about the top two. You can see it in the last pic better but the vac form looks like it has formed around the top part of the trigger. Have you looked to see if the trigger gets caught or moves when holstering? I know it wouldn't ad a double action and would take a hell of a lot to go wrong on a 1911 style but it was just an observation I had.

But they do look like quality holsters congrats.

The impression in the trigger guard area looks deeper in the pic than what it really is. A lot of the Kydex holsters on the market have the same impression around the trigger. I've holstered it many times and it doesn't seem to catch the trigger. It doesn't even come close to contacting the trigger safety at all.

I just finished making this OWB style holster tonight. I used my last piece of Kydex to make it. I'll be ordering some more tonight. Going to order some different colors this time. [smile]

Finally received my first order of dummy guns. So now I can really have some fun molding stuff. I have a few new ideas for some owb style holsters that I want to try. I've decided to put my heart and soul into making holsters. So I contacted my town zoning board and a business lawyer. I'm going to do this by the book and start my own business. I'm not going to quit my day job just yet. But hopefully someday if I can make holsters and other leather items fulltime I will say adios to my current day job.

Sweet! Start molding kydex to fit Sig 1911's and you'll corner that market. None of the "supertuck" style holster makers make them (afaik). You can use my ultra for a mold if you like.

I had a little free time while my wife and sone were out of the house for a bit. So I made up a Holster for a G26. The green is actually a lot brighter in person. The photos make it look faded out. In person it looks just like the green they use on the Grave Digger monster truck. This one was made using .080 Kydex so there is bit less definition to it. I cut a finger grove into the kydex on this one. I felt it helped draw the pistol from the holster easier. It allows the hand to grasp the grip fully with no interference.

Last edited:
I have to go to the lawyers on Tuesday to finish signing some paper work. I just finished setting up my shop today. I'm almost finished making my website. I have all my suppliers lined up. So hopefully everything will be ready to go in a week or so. It is going to be tough working a day job, making holsters at night, and still finding the time to be a husband and father. I'm dedicating a 100% to making the holster business profitable. As I would LOVE to quit my day job as a Ford tech. 22 years of working for Ford and I'm ready to say adios to them. The auto industry isn't what it used to be.

CrackPot I'm glad to hear the holster arrived and it met your approval. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom