My mom the quasi-anti

So my mom has always "hated" guns. She never expressed any truly anti 2A sentiments but always made it pretty clear that she hates guns. They're scary. She isn't and never has been in favor of infringing on other people's 2A rights and agrees that 2A is an individual right. She just doesn't like them and wouldn't want one.

So I told my mom a while ago that I was getting an LTC, but she just thought it was so I could take my shotguns out of her house in ME finally. She is staying at my place in Saugus tonight because she works in Lynn and every now an then likes to break up the Maine to Lynn commute with an overnight at my place.

So after dinner tonight I showed her my LTC and told her I'd probably be taking my shotguns back soon. She asked what the LTC means, and I explained that it is unrestricted and I can carry a loaded handgun on my person just about anywhere blah blah blah. She didn't seem to fond of the idea by didn't seem to have much of a problem with it either. So then we started talking and this is how the conversation went:

Me: So I may or may not have bought a handgun.
Mom: for what?
Me:protection and range fun. I like to target shoot it's a lot of fun. If I had a handgun would you want to see it?
Mom: no, i don't like guns
Me:come on
Mom:fine but be careful

I went to the safe brought back the firearm to the living room, inspected the gun demonstrating safe gun handling. I handed it to her with the action open and showed her how to close the slide, rack it, and dry fire.

Mom: So where around here can you legally shoot a gun.
Me: Malden, I belong to a club there.
Mom: oh.
Me: Next time you're down, wanna go shoot it?
Mom: OK

So now apparently my mom kinda likes guns. We talked more and she agrees that they're good protection. She gave me the what about if there were young children crap, and I explained safe storage etc etc. After a short while, she cleary is ok with guns now. I can't wait to take her to the range.

She even went as far as to ask what someone needs to do to get a license. I let her know that in Maine it's cake.

I wonder if I can convince her to go all the way with it?

sweet.

I went to the safe brought back the firearm to the living room, inspected the gun demonstrating safe gun handling. I handed it to her with the action open and showed her how to close the slide, rack it, and dry fire.
Mom: So where around here can you legally shoot a gun.
Me: Malden, I belong to a club there.
Mom: oh.
Me: Next time you're down, wanna go shoot it?
Mom: OK

So now apparently my mom kinda likes guns. We talked more and she agrees that they're good protection. She gave me the what about if there were young children crap, and I explained safe storage etc etc. After a short while, she cleary is ok with guns now. I can't wait to take her to the range.

She even went as far as to ask what someone needs to do to get a license. I let her know that in Maine it's cake.

I wonder if I can convince her to go all the way with it?

sweet.
Easy Son. [wink]One step at a time. You got quite a few giant steps out of the way and I congratulate you on that. I bet she'll have a blast at the range. If she does, try to get her to a Women's shoot. There is almost nothing more convincing to a woman (middle age or above) than seeing her peers partaking in the activity and being proficient at it.
Best regards.

FINE: This is the word women use to end an argument when they feel they are right and you need to shut up.

From "what women say and what they mean."

Good luck anyway. [smile]

Gee, I always thought it was "whatever". I will have to update my book of ways to win/end an argument...[grin]

Hard to know where this is headed because everybody's personality is a little different. If she agrees to go to the range with you try to pick one that might have some other women there. Teach her all the safety rules - and go slow. Then let it sink in for a while.

My girlfriend says the same things about guns as your mother does. She has gone to the range with me a couple of times and has mentioned going with me other times. She still isn't what I would call gun friendly though.

One argument I have started using lately is this:

Person who needs to be convinced: "guns are bad, they are used to kill people - only bad people have guns"

Me: " well you are sort of right, guns are used to kill people. I can't really argue with that if we are going to be completely honest about this whole thing. But you cannot stick you head in the sand about reality - and if all the good people decide to not have firearms, and not learn how to use them safely - then what you are basically doing is saying that the only people you want to have guns are the bad people. Are you trying to tell me what you really want is a world full of bad people with guns and good people who can't do anything about it? Do you think I am a bad person? Do you think that you are a bad person? If not - then why would you want to be disarmed - and why would want me to be disarmed? "

That actually has sent a few people off muttering a little and thinking about it.

Looks like a nice job![wink]
A big mistake I was initially making is labeling people who do not like guns as "gun-haters" and showing them in every possible way that they are as wrong as it gets. Later, I began to understand that many "gun-hating" people simply lack knowledge about guns and their purpose. Other had some bad experience in theur lives previously (for example, were exposed to violence or military conflicts in their old countries). Yet other just never thought about having a gun for any reason.
I can see that in my own family. If you ask me what is shooting, my answer will be: "This is a fun activity". If you ask that my husband, who had been through a civil war in his country of origin, he will say that this is something people do to kill each other. If you ask my Mom, she will say that this is something people enjoy, but she never understood that. I strongly beleive that the best thing you can do is to explain that people buy guns and do target practice primarily because this is fun, and even if you have a gun for self-defense, that does not mean you will be looking for situations where you need to use it. It's good to describe that shooting requires much of focus, concentration, and calmness, and people who shoot regularly are careful and follow the safety rules. In fact, there are more drunk drivers than drunk shooters!
I think it is acceptable if someone does not want to own a gun, for as long as this person is fine with our rights for firearm ownership and self-defense. However, if someone tells me that guns should be banned and you need to have mercy and compassion for criminals... I'm sorry, you are as wrong as it gets![smile]

Last edited:
Job well done, so far.

I hope when you get her to the range, you have a .22 for her to shoot. It won't help
your cause to give her a .45 or a .357 snubby to shoot for the first time. Her first
shooting experiance needs to be pleasent, any thing less, and nothing will be gained.

just my .02

Job well done, so far.

I hope when you get her to the range, you have a .22 for her to shoot. It won't help
your cause to give her a .45 or a .357 snubby to shoot for the first time. Her first
shooting experiance needs to be pleasent, any thing less, and nothing will be gained.

just my .02

I was hoping Eddie Coyle would let me borrow his .500 S&W Mag for her first shooting experience[smile]

Back
Top Bottom