My Stupid Question of the day.

Can i, a Mass FID holder take my long guns into NH for trap shooting?
I know, Probably a stupid question that has been asked before, but i couldn't find it when i searched.

Last edited:
NH, like almost 90% of the states, is a default right to possess firearms state. As long as your long gun is unloaded and locked in the trunk when you bring it up, you're fine.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a stupid question and just goes to show how sheltered people in MA are. It's been asked several times this week.

NH, like almost 90% of the states, is a default right to possess firearms state. As long as your long gun is unloaded and locked in the trunk when you bring it up, you're fine.

yea, its kinda bad that i even need to ask, but you never know... i am a mass resident after all......

p.s. thanks!

Yes, it's a stupid question and just goes to show how sheltered people in MA are. It's been asked several times this week.

[rolleyes]

WTF? Way to be cool to people.

Stop trying to Be Scriv Jr. You give good, accurate advice, but you come across as a dick in the way you present it.

Do you think that does anything to promote our cause? [hmmm]

I don't think the OP took it personally, nor was it intended that way. I think you need to check your panties. Thanks [thinking]

I don't think the OP took it personally, nor was it intended that way. I think you need to check your panties. Thanks [thinking]

I'm not trying to pile on here but to be honest, when I first read your reply, I thought "hmmm, that was kind of rude". Maybe you didn't intend it to be that way but it sure came out like that. People ask "dumb" questions all the time. I'm sure there was a point in your life when you knew nothing about guns. We learn by asking. I learned how to search the forum for answers but I didn't learn because someone showed me, I learned because some people thought that replying 5 or 6 times to one of my dumb questions just to tell me I was wasting their time was more efficient than either answering it or showing me how to get the answer for myself. Your reply to the OP is a perfect example. If you simply answered his question without the preceding insult it would have taken you half the time and energy to type it. Although I do have to give you credit, at least you answered it. Most wannabe d-bags would just insult the guy without answering it.
[laugh2]

BTW, who ever determined what makes a question "dumb"? I always thought the only dumb question was the one never asked.

All hail king of the internets and all powerful know it all NES gun god genius Vellnueve for taking some of his precious time to impart just a crumb of his vast wisdom upon a mere mortal.

The fact that you devoted enough time out of your busy internet schedule to type a reply shows how much you are a forgiving and graceful god.

Last edited:
The question IS stupid.

People in MA and other such states have to get out of this mindset where they need permits, licenses, signed letters, etc to buy guns and realize what the rest of the country is like.

If you don't know what freedom is, how are you going to push for it? We shouldn't be pushing for a legislative overhaul of the licensing system, we should be pushing for its elimination.

The question IS stupid.

People in MA and other such states have to get out of this mindset where they need permits, licenses, signed letters, etc to buy guns and realize what the rest of the country is like.

If you don't know what freedom is, how are you going to push for it? We shouldn't be pushing for a legislative overhaul of the licensing system, we should be pushing for its elimination.

I understand exactly what you are trying to say but your original reply read as if the OP was stupid. I'm not bashing you, I'm just trying to give you another perspective.

If the question is so stupid,why did you answer it ?

The question is stupid because it assumes that government permission is needed everywhere to own guns, not just in MA. It is important to correct this fallacy quickly, before bad ideas are spread.

I understand exactly what you are trying to say but your original reply read as if the OP was stupid. I'm not bashing you, I'm just trying to give you another perspective.

Well, I specifically referred to the question. It hurts me inside every time I see it asked, because it really does show what living in MA for a lifetime can do, never knowing how the rest of the country lives. And again, I don't believe the OP took it personally.

Ehhhh you came off like a prick. A lot of your legal advice comes off like you're a huge prick. You seriously don't notice that?

The question is NOT stupid. Unfortunately, it's a vaild concern.

If it were a different set of states, the answer may or may not be different.

What's stupid is that it is a vaild concern.

witness the assorted MGLs cited in :

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/101332-Long-range-shooter?p=1441662#post1441662

when the potential problems that an honest misunderstanding of the labrynthine laws are factored in, it's much better to ask first.

What's stupid is getting jammed up after not asking, when the knowledge is easily avaialble....

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/faq.html

I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?
You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.

vellnueve said:

asshat.jpg

ibtl27bf23xd0-1.jpg

The question is NOT stupid. Unfortunately, it's a vaild concern.

If it were a different set of states, the answer may or may not be different.

What's stupid is that it is a vaild concern.

witness the assorted MGLs cited in :

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/101332-Long-range-shooter?p=1441662#post1441662

when the potential problems that an honest misunderstanding of the labrynthine laws are factored in, it's much better to ask first.

What's stupid is getting jammed up after not asking, when the knowledge is easily avaialble....

It is NOT a valid concern. MGLs mean dick outside of MA.

I always chuckle when I read one of these questions about a Mass guy wanting to bring guns when visiting some other state....The always start with "I have a MA LTC, FID, whatever". Truth is, 95% of the states do not give a shit. You are free to possess and own firearms so long as you are not federally prohibited. The only reason a license is needed is to carry a concealed handgun and a quick trip to handgunlaw.us will show how few states accept MA's LTC for that purpose.

While I kinda agree the "stupid question" thing was over the top, I too find it sad that so many Mass residents do not know what freedom (WRT firearms) is like and that they assume that their system is the norm. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Well, I guess the consensus is that I was over the top. My apologies to the OP for any insult you may have perceived in my response.

My post was not intended as any sort of personal attack and was instead intended to be a lament of the MA system that has perpetuated the myth among residents that a license is needed to possess any kind of gun anywhere in the US.

I certainly don't think it was stupid to ASK the question, since you want to be sure, but I certainly believe that the conditions in this state (that have people asking such questions, which would draw a "WTF are you talking about?!" response almost anywhere else) are most certainly stupid.

Again, apologies to BruceW if you were offended.

Last edited:
The real problem is that shooters are a minority....if there was no recipricosity for driver's licenses, there'd be trouble....

But since driving is a neccesity, as opposed to shooting, it's a different game.

While the precise question was regarding a long gun going from PRM to a free state, the overall situation WRT to interstate travel is a problem....when there is (presumably valid) advice about "not stopping for gas in NY or NJ", FOPA notwithstanding, the problem is more than just Massachusetts'.

It's bad enough that each state regualtes guns differently.....what's the travesty is that one state's licence is not honored by all others.

The real problem is that shooters are a minority....if there was no recipricosity for driver's licenses, there'd be trouble....

But since driving is a neccesity, as opposed to shooting, it's a different game.

While the precise question was regarding a long gun going from PRM to a free state, the overall situation WRT to interstate travel is a problem....when there is (presumably valid) advice about "not stopping for gas in NY or NJ", FOPA notwithstanding, the problem is more than just Massachusetts'.

It's bad enough that each state regualtes guns differently.....what's the travesty is that one state's licence is not honored by all others.
When are you going to understand this?

FOPA is necessary in less than a handful of states

FOPA is unnecessary outside of a handful of states, mostly in the NE. Even Illinois (the only state west of the east coast to require a license just to posses) statutorily recognizes the right of residents of other states to travel with unloaded firearms TO Illinois and THROUGH Illinois.

If you drove to Ohio with long guns and drove straight west through NY, FOPA is unnecessary since possession of long guns is not licensed in NY, nor in any other state that you would travel through.

Once you get here, so long as you don't carry concealed without the license of a state Ohio recognizes, NOBODY is going to ask for your papers. You do NOT need to worry about what to tell a cop if they stop you on the road. You do NOT need to worry about being "unlicensed" and keeping a handgun at the ready for self defense in your hotel room. You do NOT need to worry about being "unlicensed" when you need to buy some ammo.

Why is that concept so hard to understand!?!?!? UUUGGHHHHHH!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The real problem is that shooters are a minority....if there was no recipricosity for driver's licenses, there'd be trouble...

No. The travesty is that a license is required at all. Most free-staters never even hear of FOPA because it is understood that transporting your guns to most states is OK

When are you going to understand this?

FOPA is necessary in less than a handful of states

FOPA is unnecessary outside of a handful of states, mostly in the NE. Even Illinois (the only state west of the east coast to require a license just to posses) statutorily recognizes the right of residents of other states to travel with unloaded firearms TO Illinois and THROUGH Illinois.

If you drove to Ohio with long guns and drove straight west through NY, FOPA is unnecessary since possession of long guns is not licensed in NY, nor in any other state that you would travel through.

Once you get here, so long as you don't carry concealed without the license of a state Ohio recognizes, NOBODY is going to ask for your papers. You do NOT need to worry about what to tell a cop if they stop you on the road. You do NOT need to worry about being "unlicensed" and keeping a handgun at the ready for self defense in your hotel room. You do NOT need to worry about being "unlicensed" when you need to buy some ammo.

Why is that concept so hard to understand!?!?!? UUUGGHHHHHH!!!!

+1. I was trying to say the same thing but it's hard to write long responses on a blackberry.

The OP's original question was not based on NH laws per se, but on the difference between the laws in NH and Mass.

I maintain that the question was valid. It should not have to be asked, but reality says otherwise.

An analogy: A NH driver has to know that he is legally required to put his seat belt on when he crosses the Mass. border; the Mass driver has to know that the seat belt is a "primary offense" in other states, as opposed to Mass., where it's not.

The OP was right to ask. He shouldn't have to, but from the point of view of a Mass. resident, it's a prudent move.

As for vellnueve's point that it's a travesty that a license is required at all, and that "Most free-staters never even hear of FOPA because it is understood that transporting your guns to most states is OK , " ....we're not talking about anywhere other than Mass., and the mindset that develops in the PRM.

I think that in the final analysis, OP is cool to take the Trap gun up north, and that, from the point of view of a PRM resident, it was a legitimate question. Also, living in PRM one gets used to the restrictions, and naturally believes that others have similar difficulties.

Those living in "free states" should understand that the potential problems faced by a Mass. resident for a screw-up are potentially draconian....that's why there are warnings on this forum about bringning into Mass. post-ban hi-cap mags from a free state. This situation tends to make one cautious....it may not be right, but it is, unfortunately, the situation....

We don't disagree. The point is that to seek change and freedom, one must first understand what freedom is. To me, no form of license to possess is acceptable in a free society. Of course we must play by the rules, but in order to advance any kind of legislative or judicial process to change the rules, you need to know what it's supposed to be like.

Well, I guess the consensus is that I was over the top. My apologies to the OP for any insult you may have perceived in my response.

My post was not intended as any sort of personal attack and was instead intended to be a lament of the MA system that has perpetuated the myth among residents that a license is needed to possess any kind of gun anywhere in the US.

I certainly don't think it was stupid to ASK the question, since you want to be sure, but I certainly believe that the conditions in this state (that have people asking such questions, which would draw a "WTF are you talking about?!" response almost anywhere else) are most certainly stupid.

Again, apologies to BruceW if you were offended.

I wasn't offended, and I didn't take it as a insult, so no apologies are needed.

As my Title hints too, I figured it would be a stupid question for the experienced people on the forum, but I have only been into shooting for 3 years, and this was the first time I even considered leaving the state with my guns, so I wanted to make sure it would be legal. I agree, it is kinda sad I even need to worry about it.

We don't disagree. The point is that to seek change and freedom, one must first understand what freedom is. To me, no form of license to possess is acceptable in a free society. Of course we must play by the rules, but in order to advance any kind of legislative or judicial process to change the rules, you need to know what it's supposed to be like.

AMEN!!! Well Said; or typed

Back
Top Bottom