Need an answer to a question I thought I already knew

I recently posted a question about reloading equipment for .223. I received clear responses to that post. However, on another forum I posted the same question about reloading for .223 plinking and was told that I would not be able to save money by reloading.

My question, therefore, is somewhat Mass specific. What per round cost can I expect considering I live in Mass (mail order restrictions and all)? I do plan on using existing brass.

That depends on alot of things. What are you going to be shooting and what kind of accuracy are you wanting are the 2 bigges. Primer will cost you abt 2 cents ea. If you want to go with canister powder your going to have abt. 8 cents in powder, or you can abt. cut that in 1/2 by useing surplus powders. As for bullets you can buy pulled mil. bullets for a few cents ea. that are only good for range shooting and then not real accurate. Good hunting bullets will start at abt 9 cents ea. and go you to 20 cents ea. or more. A good guess for smoe fairly accurate hunting ammo would be around $ 26 for 100 rounds if you have brass.

I figured out once not long ago, even taking the cost of the brass into consideration (reloaded 10 times), that each round was 18.5 cents. I believe that was a R-P brass, 53 SMK, 20 of H4198 & Rem. 7 1/2.
Of course, if you figure in your time to make up 200 rounds at a whack @ $28.00 an hour.................well.........you get the picture.

BRAVO SIERRA

I have been working on purchasing bullets, powder, and primers. Here is what I have so far:

$79 - 8lbs of powder
$20 haxmat fee
$93 - 3000 bullets
$80 - 5000 primers
$21 - shipping

Price per round: .10 (ordered from one web site)

Last edited:
just my .02, I thought you couldn't ship primer and powder together. If so, it looks like another $20 hazmat fee, and maybe another shipping fee. Could be wrong. If I am, please let me know where you're getting your stuff from. I'd like to order from them.

kurt

just my .02, I thought you couldn't ship primer and powder together. If so, it looks like another $20 hazmat fee, and maybe another shipping fee. Could be wrong. If I am, please let me know where you're getting your stuff from. I'd like to order from them.

kurt

Check any online source (even those that won't ship to MA). IIRC haz mat regs require primers and powder to be shipped separately. Thus, two fees and two S/H charges.

My regular email order source of reloading components (name withheld but available to those who PM me) says in their current ordering instructions "Powder and primers may be shipped together . . . provided the total weight of the order remains below 60 lbs." I've ordered many things from them, but not powder or primers, so I don't know if that's how they operate or if it's a misprint or a misunderstanding.

However, the mega grand-daddy of all outdoor suppliers (you know who they are (not Midway), and I don't think will ship to MA anyway) says in their catalog "Shipping regulations require that primers and powder, even if combined on the same order, be shipped in separate packages, each with an additional $20 hazardous materials fee . . ."

This seems like the sort of thing that the Dept. of Transportation would control, rather than it being left to the policy of individual merchants. I've always bought my hazmat stuff locally, so I honestly don't know if the first place will indeed combine them.

I have ordered 8lbs of 844 powder, and 5,000 primers from one company...3,000 .223 bullets from another company. The per round breakdown is as follows:

.035 (bullets)
.04 (powder)
.02 (primers)

Total cost per round (shipped to my door): .095

I also purchased a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press with .223 dies ($138.91).

Spreading the cost of the press over 10,000 rounds (about 2 years) will add .015 to the cost of the round.

That would mean that the total startup cost for the first 10,000 rounds brings the per round cost to .11 per round.

Update...received all components.

I have ordered 8lbs of 844 powder, and 5,000 primers from one company...9,000 .223 bullets from another company. The per round breakdown is as follows:

.033 (bullets)
.033 (powder)
.02 (primers)

Total cost per round (shipped to my door): .086

I also purchased a Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press with .223 dies ($138.91).

Spreading the cost of the press over 10,000 rounds (about 2 years) will add .015 to the cost of the round.

That would mean that the total startup cost for the first 10,000 rounds brings the per round cost to .10 per round.

NICE!

If you have any questions with that Lee press, just give me a shout and I'll do what I can to help you out. I already have 1 setup for 45ACP, and plan on getting a second to be dedicated to 40S&W.

Thank you for the offer of help...I very well may need it.

I am also interested in getting the .40 dies.

Back
Top Bottom