Need help figuring out proper load for 180gr swc

So here are the details:
Reloading .45 ACP pistol
180grain SWC lead
Accurate #5 powder

Now the papers from accurate show loads for 170 and 185grain as follows

Bullet Wt start load max load min COL(inch)
170 gr swc 8.1 gr 9.0 gr 1.130
185 gr swc 8.0 gr 8.9 gr 1.230

So how do you calcuate a safe range of loads and min COL??

Any suggestions? Anyone reload a 180grain before?
Thanks for any suggestions

I'd start with 8.0 grains of #5 and seat the bullet to the point where the round drops into your barrel flush and with a clunk (just like a factory round would). Start with an over-length cartridge and keep seating the bullet to where you have no interference from the shoulder of the bullet; about .010" deeper than the point of interference should suffice. Make sure the COL is not longer than the recommended dimension and that it functions in your magazine and chambers consistently. If you end up with the bullet shoulder well into the mouth of the case, I'd question this bullet style and set it aside in favor of standardized bullets.
Measure your test round and use that COL as your reference. Check for proper cycling and typical pressure signs when fired.
No guarantees, but sometimes you have to work up your own data as you come across unknown/unpublished bullet profiles etc.

You will be fine with the data for the 185 gr bullet. As NavelOfficer says let your barrel tell you the best OAL. Normally there will be about 1/32" (.031) of shoulder showing with SWC's in a .45 but you need to determine what fits your chamber. Just curious - how did you pick AA #5 powder? The classic load for your bullet is 3.5 - 4 gr of Bullseye.

I've had good results with Red Dot and these bullets. Like the others have said, you want to load them as long as possible. The limiting factors are:

1. The cartridge fits into the mag

2. The bullet doesn't hit the rifling when you chamber the cartridge.

Thanks for the input....believe it or not someone suggested I check the weight (I bought these already made; lead cast) and just assumed the weight was what was on the box. However they seem to weigh 184gr so I can safely follow the 185gr recommendations. Thanks for the reply though.

Marvel. I got the Accurate from a friend...so I just started with that. As an aside is Bullseye the preferred powder for .45ACP? How about Red Dot? Will they measure well in a Lee Pro Powder Measure? Thanks for your input.

I don't know about it being the preferred powder for .45ACP overall. Bullseye is what a lot of target shooters, myself included, use under a 185 gr SWC for punching paper. I can't speak about Red Dot but Bullseye is fine granules and meters very consistently.

i use 5.0 grains of bullseye for my 230 grain cast heads with a gas check. ive used that loading for 35 yrs now.

bob

Back
Top Bottom