Need help from any Dillon 550 users

I just bought a 550 machine (along with some older Dillon press that appears to be a auto-index progressive for .410s).

The 550 seems to be just the main unit itself, without the auto prime system or the powder system. I bought it from Eric Manna Distributing which is going out of business.

I know nothing about this machine, other than it's a manually indexing progressive press which is light years ahead of my single stage Lee and seperate powder measure.

Right now it appears to be missing part of the auto-prime system as well as the powder measure system. I got the two presses combined for $75, so I figure I got a solid deal but I knew I'd need to finish the system.

Would these be the correct assemblies to buy?

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23996/catid/6/Dillon_RL_450_Upgrade_Auto_Prime_Syst_

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23629/catid/6/RL450_AT_500_Dillon_Auto_Powder_System

http://www.dillonprecision.com/content/p/9/pid/23630/catid/6/AT_500_Auto_Eject_System

I think there's also a few screws/pieces I need to buy, but it seems like most of the unit is there, just not the ancillary systems.

Pictures below. This is the entirety of the 550 that I got, everything that I got is in the picture.

press1.jpg

press2.jpg

press3.jpg

I also got five sets of dies and a caliber conversion set to .40 for $75 total.

Last edited:
FYI.... I just got a 550 as well and the seller told me there were some issues and missing part... So, I called Dillon, got a confirmation to send it back with all parts that I have and they are sending a complete set back to me - that is service..... I leave the fixing to the experts - I did not want to take a chance.....

I am looking forward to starting the reloading when the new/refurb. machine arrives next week.....

FYI.... I just got a 550 as well and the seller told me there were some issues and missing part... So, I called Dillon, got a confirmation to send it back with all parts that I have and they are sending a complete set back to me - that is service..... I leave the fixing to the experts - I did not want to take a chance.....

I am looking forward to starting the reloading when the new/refurb. machine arrives next week.....

That is what I was going to recommend doing. If you don't feel like sending the press back I'll take it off your hands for $100. haha

Pete

You are missing a lot. If you go to the dillon precision web site download a manual on the
550b and take a look at the parts breakdown. If I were you, and I own a 550, I would
not nickle and dime it. I would just send it back to them and have them put it together
for you.

www.dillonprecision.com

You have no powder system, no primer system, no cap for the indexing mechanism, no
conversion kit, no dies. It looks like it was cannabilized for parts. Saying that, Dillon might,
repeat might, give you a good deal on either putting yours together or giving you a new
one. Either way, you can't beat that. If you would like to sell it instead of going through
the hassle I would give you what you paid for it.

Regards,

TBP

Well, I do have the dies (for .40, .357, 9mm, 30-06, and 5.56) and a conversion kit for .40, which is the main caliber I'm concerned with loading for now, so I'm not worried about that.

I'll give them a call next week and see what can be done. I figure that the machine as I got it is easily worth what I paid for it, and from the looks of it the priming mech and powder system should cost me about $150, so I'll probably see if they'll rebuild it.

The dies alone are worth what you paid, and more.

However, you need the entire primer system and a powder hopper. The conversion kit should have come w/ 3 locator pins, the shell plate and the powder funnel/case beller that goes in the powder hopper.

Newer 550's also have a positive mechanical link; an arm that goes from under the shell plate to the arm on the powder hopper. This actually pulls and pushes the powder bar, which used to rely solely upon the case beller to push it back and a spring for its return.

Yep, the conversion kit I got had the 3 pins, shell plate, and the funnel. It's just not installed.

I paid 75 for the press (and also got some older Dillon auto-indexing press that I can't identify at the moment, it's not listed on their site) and 75 more for 5 sets of dies and the conversion kit. That's still a decent deal, right? I was planning on getting a progressive press anyway, and this seemed pretty good (even with the $150 or so for the primer/powder systems the press itself should cost me about 200)

Last edited:
Send it back to Dillon and have them fix it up. I've had mine for 15 years and have done a couple of bonehead things and Dillon keeps bailing me out

Sending it back to Dillon will also insure that all the parts are installed and aligned which is a BIG plus.

If you want to take advantage of the easily changeable caliber feature, you would have to get a quick change kit for each caliber. They run about $90 each. In addition, you will need a caliber conversion kit for each caliber. Did it come with them all or just the $40S&W?

Check out this forum for a load of useful info on the Dillon system.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=78

They only had the .40 kit. But right now that's all I need (although I have the four sets of dies as well.

I mainly picked it up to feed my M&P40. Most of my other loads are rifle. I'll be picking up the .38/.357 kits later on, but I just tried an IPSC practice run for the first time and I love it, as does my M&P. Probably .45 in the future as well, although I hear it's a pain to switch from small to large primers, so just .40 for now. I picked up the other dies figuring I was saving at least 50% on each set (turns out I saved more like 75% on each set, compared to Dillon retail price). .223, 9mm, 30-06, and .38/.357 and those are all calibers I'll load down the road.

Right now, though, my primary purpose for this machine is to turn out more .40 S&W than my Lee single stage can do at a time.

I think I'll be sending it back, I sent them an email and will call them this week.

Either way, I figure I saved money since the setup normally is about $400 retail.

They only had the .40 kit. But right now that's all I need (although I have the four sets of dies as well.

I mainly picked it up to feed my M&P40. Most of my other loads are rifle. I'll be picking up the .38/.357 kits later on, but I just tried an IPSC practice run for the first time and I love it, as does my M&P. Probably .45 in the future as well, although I hear it's a pain to switch from small to large primers, so just .40 for now. I picked up the other dies figuring I was saving at least 50% on each set (turns out I saved more like 75% on each set, compared to Dillon retail price). .223, 9mm, 30-06, and .38/.357 and those are all calibers I'll load down the road.

Right now, though, my primary purpose for this machine is to turn out more .40 S&W than my Lee single stage can do at a time.

I think I'll be sending it back, I sent them an email and will call them this week.

Either way, I figure I saved money since the setup normally is about $400 retail.

Switching between large and small primers is not a problem. Takes about five minutes
tops. Switching powder bars is another story. PITA. I purchased two additional powder
funnels and have them set up with extra small, small, and large powder bars so I don't
have to change the powder bars. You might not have to switch powder bars between the
.40 and .38/.357 if your loads are in the 3 to 10 grain range. Outside of those ranges you
have to change powder bars. You have a great deal and Dillon is great to work with.

Cool, like I said, .40 is my first concern. .45 in the future and the others as needed.

It really sounds like Dillon has great CS.

Did you send out to Dillon?

I got my 550 back and all parts were replaced and it is such a change compared to my single stage (Rock Chucker). I have already had to call Dillon for a replacement part that I broke and they have sent it out to me NO CHARGE [smile] A few of you have already stated this, but I definitely get another Dillon press....

Well, Dillon just called and said that it has be refitted with everything. Total cost, including the original price of the machine that I paid, comes to about $185. I figure that's pretty good.

I would just make sure if they are rebuilding it for you at the $185 that they will extend a new warranty to cover you in the future. Dillon CS is great so I am sure that rebuild most likely covers you again for future issues.

I have been so pleased with my Dillon 550 I would recommend it to others all day long.

Back
Top Bottom