Need help locating post about shrapnel in someone's cheek

Hi all.

I thought I had read a post here at NES about a fellow shooter who had recently had a piece of jacket come back and lodge in his cheek. The post talked about him going to the hospital and the surgeons not being able to remove it because it was so close to a nerve in his face.

Can anyone point me to that post? I'm meeting with my club this evening (Monday night) and we're going to discuss this in order to help avoid a similar event happening here. I've had stuff including metal jackets bounce back at me even at 100 yards. It's dangerous, to be sure, and I'd like to have that poster's situation to use as an example as to what can happen.

TIA!

Rome

Thanks! That actually wasn't the one I was looking for but that'll do. I'll just keep searching. Maybe it was at another forum but all I wanted was some data to speak to the club about.

The one I read was about a fella who was siting in his high-power rifle at 25 yards.(too close in my opinion but commonly done.) The rounds he was using were jacketed and part of the jacket hit something behine the target and flew back hitting him in the cheek. He got himself to the hospital and they were very concerned because the shrapnel was too close to one of his facial nerves. So, it may just stay there.

This can be a real problem if it hits you. If, however, it hit a youngster or another shooter it could be a major issue. Wearing glasses and hats is one way to keep your eyesight but getting hit in the arm, underarm (like the post you've provided) or hand or face is always serious. I've had it happen where jackets have bounced back from 100 yards but didn't get hit myself but saw the piece come back, glinting in the sun, and landing on the roof of the range.

Thanks! We're also going to purchase a good first-aid kit with blood stoppers at our range very soon. Every range should have one, imho.

Rome

Hi all.

I thought I had read a post here at NES about a fellow shooter who had recently had a piece of jacket come back and lodge in his cheek. The post talked about him going to the hospital and the surgeons not being able to remove it because it was so close to a nerve in his face.

This latter part doesn't appear to be the case. He said there was no metal in his face. Also, there is a reason these plates become dangerous. They are shot with high powered rounds and pitting occurs. The pitting acts as small deflectors not allowing the round to continue on the right trajectory (down) when striking the plate. If you have thick enough plates and limit the rounds to 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP and prevent magnum rounds, the type of problems discussed there become highly unlikely.

ETA: I really need to reload the page just before typing... Anyhow, point stand about why the plates are dangerous when pitted.

For that reason, I do not like using jacketed ammo in big revolvers. Suff like .454. I have seen them spit backwards. I think under the high pressure, the cylinder moves slightly and misaligns, and a shard of copper can blow back from where the cylinder meets the barrel.

I never thought about it bouncing back, I've only been shooting a month or so though. However, I was at an indoor range 2 weeks ago and feel something smack me in my shin, I looked down and there was a big hunk of lead spinning around at my feet ( I wasn't shooting at the time, just getting ready). I picked it up and it was still hot! I didn't think you could get ricochets like that at an indoor range. Live and learn I guess. I'm glad I didn't take my wife that day, it would have been all over for her.

Back
Top Bottom