need help

I can’t seem to make up my mind on which hand gun to purchase, I am a new shooter and just Joined a Aux. Police Dept.. So I need a gun that I can use for both duty and daily carry.. I would like to keep it under $500 if possible. I am thinking a 9 mil or possibly a 40

Here are the ones I am considering…

Used Glock 19  Great size, expensive, easy to get holsters etc
Used Glock 22 Bit big, re firb’s are available pretty cheap, easy to get holsters etc
M+P 9  I keep reading they have issues and finding a duty holster, kinda steers me a way
M+P 9c  I keep reading they have issues and finding a duty holster, kinda steers me a way
Sigma 9  copy of the Glock 19, great price,

right now I am thinking of the Glock 19 or the Sigma 9

What do you suggest and why? I am in Mass so it has to comply, sigh

thanks

Are you sure it has to be "Mass compliant?" Aren't POs (even auxiliary POs) exempt from the state's "protection?"

[grin]

Are you sure it has to be "Mass compliant?" Aren't POs (even auxiliary POs) exempt from the state's "protection?"

[grin]

A police Dept can order anything it wants.

An individual officer is exempt from the AG regs, but still must abide by the State approved list.

So, the Original Poster needs a gun on the 'list', but can buy any of them including a brand new Glock as he is a sworn officer. many shops will require a letter from the dept, but this isn't required by law.

And I've seen a lot of people finding that the M&P in both 9mm and 40 S&W fit holsters designed for the Glock 21, although not all are real good fits. However, most holster companies now have stuff for the M&P, it just hasn't reached the catalogs yet.

I don't think the Aux is looked appon as an official PO, so I don't think I can purchase just anything [crying], but i will look into it, the regulars are carrying M+P 40's

My local PD Aux required a triple retention holster, does yours? It would seem to be a good idea for a duty weapon.

Check out the Walther p99 or the SW99 (the Walther is rated a little better). Both good guns and triple retention holsters are available for them.

I can't speak first hand, but I've heard nothing but bad things about the Sigma.

On the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about the M&P. The IDPA guys I shoot with seem to love them, and they all seem to have holsters that work. Around here somewhere there is a list of all the big PDs that have switched to the M&P as their duty weapon. Maybe give one of them a call and find out what they use for a holster.

Have you shot the GLOCK and the M&P? I'd say go somewhere where you can shoot them both, and see which one you like better. They're both great guns with similar features and benefits, but completely different ergonomics and grip angles. Which one FEELS better in your hand?

BTW, I don't want to start a sh*t storm, but why 9mm over 40?

If you have $500 steer away from the Sigma. I have one and it is my main range/training gun at the moment. Without modification the trigger is as bad as you hear. It is tough to keep a nice group with it and is frustrating. It is great gun to learn on (as your trigger control will be better) but not one I'd recommend for a duty gun. The trigger it is the guns ONLY bad attribute though. And there really aren't any good fixes for it.

I've pulled a spring out of mine and it is now a lot better but you shouldn't do that if you were using it on duty. I wouldn't have done it if I was using it for protection.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Glock or an M&P. My opinion is that the 9c would be too small for a duty gun. It is meant to be concealed.

Last edited:
Oh, BTW, you will be much more limited on holsters with the Sigma than any of the others. There are not many out there for it.

I have been shooting a Glock 22 which is 40 cal, and was originally thinking of the M+P 9c, so i assumed that the 9 in that size gun would be easier to control.

I was hoping to find a gun that I could use for both duty and concealed carry, and since i am quite new at shooting I assumed the smaller caliber would be easier to become proficient with..

the dept requires a level 2 holster minimum

What exactly does "auxiliary police" mean in MA, anyhow? What town are you in?

Are MA police departments starting to go to the M&P? Any list of which ones?

Have you considered Rugers? The 345 looks decent, as well as the others. Also Sigs?

Regarding the "Fobus" holster, I have one and STRONGLY dislike it. It digs in something terrible. It is a pretty basic paddle holster I got thinking it would be good for range use. It barely is.

From someone who served as a Special/Reserve PO for 17 years . . .

- Check with your Chief to see what is authorized for carry. Restrict yourself to that list.

- If you are sworn and trained/armed as an Aux (some units are and some aren't), then you are a PO under the law and can ignore the AG's BS. ALL Glocks, new, are available to you as LE at LE prices (all guns you referred to come with 3 new hi-cap mags in a blue box for $398.20 with standard sights), BUT you have to buy them from a LE Distributor and have it shipped to your dealer for transfer. Interstate Arms (Billerica) is the LE Distributor for Glock and they will need a copy of your credentials. More info is in a Sticky in the LE forum here (I think) with prices, etc.

- S&W also has a similar program and I believe that Jurek Brothers in Greenfield MA is the LE Distributor for them.

- Stay AWAY from the Sigma. It's junk! Some work OK, but most of us had terrible problems with them.

- Whatever you buy personally will have to be on the EOPS List, as there is no LE exemption from the MGLs.

- Make sure that double retention holsters are available for whatever you are considering, or it will be useless to you on the job. M&P holsters are rather limited right now, so I'd ask any LE distributor or do your own research first to make sure that you can marry a pair (gun and holster) for duty use.

- Stay AWAY from places like "Law Enforcement Supply" (Waltham) that will tell you they will give you a LE Discount on your gun. If they aren't a LE DEALER for the mfr, you need the LE Distributor to ship to a dealer and do the transfer or you will get screwed! A Fed LEO friend of mine got screwed for $550 for a G22 from LE Supply with a supposed "LE Discount"!! Glock publishes the LE price list and that is exactly what you are supposed to pay! [I've also confirmed with Glock-USA HQ that LE Supply is NOT a Glock LE Dealer.]

Good Luck and Stay Safe on the Job.

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it here.

Back
Top Bottom