• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need your help please

A friend trying to get his pistol permit asked me to write him a letter of recomendation as required by CT law. But I have no idea what should be included in this letter. Can you help please?

its been discussed here that those letters are not required by law.

True. The BPFE has said that a town can ask for those letters, but they can NOT require them. There is NO requirement to provide anything beyond what the state requires. They even said that not providing the letters was not justification for denying or delaying a permit. I could see them making it a royal pain in the ass, though. After all, it's state law that it should take NO MORE than 8 weeks, but I've read where people in Bridgeport had to wait for over a year. [angry]

There is no requirement for letters of reference by state statute, but the process will certainly be smoother if you play along with their game. Just give your friend a "to whom it may concern" letter stating how long you've known him, that he is of good character, etc. It doesn't have to be fancy.

The Bridgeport delay is typical. I had a NRA Basic Pistol student who is a PHD doing research at Yale tell me it took him nearly 6 months to get his license. As a non-resident, the DPS issues my license in just over 30 days!

Last edited:
I have known John Doe for many years and I have no reason to believe he is not a suitable candidate for a CCW. Please feel free to contact me at 555-5555 if you have any questions.

Guys, the OP is in CT. We all know the story with references in MA, but I haven't heard anyone talk about CT laws re: letters of reference.

Refuse to provide the letter and let them know why. They cannot preempt state requirements and require anything beyond what the state wants no matter what they say. This was straight from the BFPE, the organization that reviews and issues permits. There used to be a FAQ on this very thing on the ct.gov/BFPE website and they said refusal to provide anything beyond state requirements is not a reason for denial or delay in issuing a permit. I'd contact the BFPE and have them contact your town's PD and set them straight. Or get a written letter. I've dealt with SGT Bastura, who is the XO of SLFU and he's a good guy. I'll bet he can help you out with the BFPE. Here's his contact info:

Sergeant Ronald A. Bastura
Executive Officer
Special Licensing & Firearms Unit

State of Connecticut
Department of Public Safety
Division of State Police
1111 Country Club Road
Middletown, CT 06457-2389

Investigations: (860) 685-8160
Fax: (860) 685-8644
[email protected]

Back