• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES Bullet Casting Seminar

Casting can be fun and rewarding. I love loading 15 cent 30-06 that can shoot pretty darn well or at least better than I can deliver. Although the match was cancelled I was allowed to shoot 25 rounds @ 200 yards prone with sling. Springfield 1903a3 iron sights rear sight on the 700 mark.
160 grain flat nose lee tumble lube design. 16 grains of 2400.
Post a pic soon.

Last edited:
Thats pretty good for irons with an old gun and junky lead ammo [smile]

You can get awesome accuracy with lead if you play your cards right. I wish someone local was into paper patching so we could discuss that too.... ahh well maybe next seminar.
I love the fact that I can shoot pistol ammo for about 4.5 cents a round and I won't go broke trying to get better at any part of the shooting discipline.

Thats pretty good for irons with an old gun and junky lead ammo [smile]

You can get awesome accuracy with lead if you play your cards right. I wish someone local was into paper patching so we could discuss that too.... ahh well maybe next seminar.
I love the fact that I can shoot pistol ammo for about 4.5 cents a round and I won't go broke trying to get better at any part of the shooting discipline.

All I load for pistol is cast. I dont shoot to much pistol though. 9mm 45, 32sw, 38spl all cast loads on the lighter side for nice fun shooting.

Several guys at the range got a kick out of the THWACK the bullet makes on the paper. Slight delay from bullet report then THWACK. it is funny. I have some more loads to test also. Will also find a functioning load for the garand at some point to.

UPDATES UPDATES

We have a couple door prize donations so far.

The owner of Shooting Supply Mark Bouchard ( NES dealer with a very nice shooting and heavily reloading and casting focussed store on state road in Westport) has donated a lee bottom pour production pot IV. These retail for $57 and are a major part of casting. Whoever wins this is way ahead of the game.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/members/22246-shootingsupply
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shooting-Supply/525733164226122?sk=info&tab=overview

The second donation is from Hi-Tek bullet coating and Bayou Bullets.
http://www.bayoubullets.net
Joe from Hi-Tek and Donnie Miculek from bayou have donated (2) 7 oz containers of hi-tek powder to the door prizes. The 7 oz of powder (teamed up with some MEK or Acetone) will coat up to 30,000 projectiles.
If you're not familiar with this stuff just check out the bayou bullets website, or SNS casting, or gateway bullets. Basically it's a super easy to use tumble finish that dries on and is baked to set the resin. When you're done you have a bullet thats pretty much a plated round. It's totally enclosed, no sticky lube, no exposed lead. I've shot this in 357 with full house charges of WIN296 and 2400 with no leading at all. That's pretty impressive.
Here are a couple youtube videos to check out on the coating process.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VevKJgHseWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU7PbbtbAtE

More Updates

MAC1911 is donating some lead to the cause. I guess we can either use this for smelting and send everyone home with some or we can do a door prize. Whatever works best for the seminar I guess.
Thanks MAC1911!!!!

Will also find a functioning load for the garand at some point to.

The 170 grain coated GCSil bullet that I referred to in the other thread has worked just fine in the gas-operated Remington 740 Woodsmaster that I've had available to me this week. It's chambered in .308 Winchester, but my first load brewed intentionally to function in the auto-loader works as advertised. Other lighter loads are fine to shoot, but won't cycle the 740, of course. My starting load is 37.5 grains of IMR 8208 XBR and it works fine.
I'd think the coated bullets would be okay in a gas gun (don't tell anyone, but I run conventional cast bullets in my Egyptian gas gun about 50% of the time and have no issues).
Cheers!

Depending on the location and date. I could help out. I have this set up for testing the Brinell hardness of the lead I could easily hook up a small press to a workmate bench. I have a few pounds of straight lead and some Linotype lead I could donate. I have some molds in a couple of different. 311 for Mosin and 303. 7mm rifle. I live in Southeast Mass so on the other side Shirley is a Hike. :)
20150717_183631.jpg

That would be awesome.
Well the seminar will be in Westport so good for us and you.

I need to cast up some pure lead soon so we can have plenty of bullets for slugging bores too. Very important info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone in the plymouth/hanover area that plans on attending?
MAC1911 has some lead to donate and I was wondering if someone could pick it up before the seminar. (if you live close by) If not i'll make arrangements to grab it.

More Updates

MAC1911 is donating some lead to the cause. I guess we can either use this for smelting and send everyone home with some or we can do a door prize. Whatever works best for the seminar I guess.
Thanks MAC1911!!!!

Good practice for sorting wheel weights. If your going to use WW might as well get some practice sorting and smelting. This batch should be pretty easy. There is some zinc and steel in there but not much vs the last several batches.
One thing I noticed with wheel weights along with less lead I'm finding the average size of the WW are getting smaller this is in part to many shops now using much more accurate balancers.
We do tires at my work on small scale and our average weight used had gone down at least 40%.
Used weight intake is very low. Well over 50% non lead coming in. It takes several months to fill a small bucket.

I received a package from Bayou Bullets yesterday.
One 7oz Package of 1035 Gold coating and One 7oz Package of candy apple red coating.
These will both be door prizes.

That's enough powder to coat over 60,000 bullets (30K per package)
Two lucky door prize winners are going to be very very happy.

Michael Spangler
asp
warwickben
DrBurnsides
Knob Creek
familyman15
Shootfirst
Houdini
J.A.C.
yogi
Flywheel
Russel
01SVTvert
namedpipes
413dan - prefers Shirley
turbo89 - prefers Shirley
Bill Katt
Kicker96FS - prefers Shirley
Hardwired
MadatMarek
Fireescape
1919FAN
BillNed

(23)

To those who expressed interest for Shirley please confirm if you plan on attending despite the fact that it will be in SE MA.

Address/directions to the location will be sent via PM after the list stops changing.

I won't be attending but I live in carver and pick up my son in fall river this weekend so I could be a delivery guy to get the lead from Mac to Mike in new Bedford. I will be going through New Bedford to and from FR Friday afternoon and sunday evening.

Michael Spangler
asp
warwickben
DrBurnsides
Knob Creek
familyman15
Shootfirst
Houdini
J.A.C.
yogi
Flywheel
Russel
01SVTvert
namedpipes
413dan - prefers Shirley
turbo89 - prefers Shirley
Bill Katt
Hardwired
MadatMarek
Fireescape
1919FAN
BillNed

(23)

To those who expressed interest for Shirley please confirm if you plan on attending despite the fact that it will be in SE MA.

Address/directions to the location will be sent via PM after the list stops changing.

I'm out, that's going to be over 2 hrs from me. Hopefully we'll have one closer next time.

Cal

Michael Spangler
asp
warwickben
DrBurnsides
Knob Creek
familyman15
Shootfirst
J.A.C.
yogi
Flywheel
Russel
01SVTvert
namedpipes
413dan - prefers Shirley
Bill Katt
Hardwired
MadatMarek
Fireescape
1919FAN
BillNed
drewh14

(22)

Drew, you're in.

Michael Spangler
asp
warwickben
DrBurnsides
Knob Creek
familyman15
Shootfirst
J.A.C.
yogi
Flywheel
Russel
01SVTvert
namedpipes
413dan - prefers Shirley
Bill Katt
Hardwired
MadatMarek
Fireescape
1919FAN
BillNed
drewh14

(21)

9/27, 9am-3pm ish? Mike and I are still working on some of the finer details as far as food, schedule, etc but there will be more info in the next week or two.

I figure once we're done with the event we can swing by shooting supply. It's about 5 minutes away. That would be a great time to head to a shop that sells primarily reloading and casting supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Spangler
asp
warwickben
DrBurnsides
Knob Creek
familyman15
Shootfirst
J.A.C.
yogi
Flywheel
Russel
01SVTvert
namedpipes
413dan - prefers Shirley
Bill Katt
Hardwired
MadatMarek
Fireescape
1919FAN
BillNed
drewh14

(21)

9/27, 9am-3pm ish? Mike and I are still working on some of the finer details as far as food, schedule, etc but there will be more info in the next week or two.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom