• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New 1911 owner, got a stash of mags, this is not my area of expertise!

MAGA99

NES Member
So, grabbed a sweet 1911TA for a great deal. Got a bunch of random mags too, which is where my questions start. Got it from a friend that likes guns, but is not a gun geek like myself…I’m very geeky on most modern firearms but other than shooting a few I’ve never delved deep into them, until now!

Other than factory SW mags, most of the mags have a ‘pachmayr(r)’ rubber baseplate pad, other side made in USA. 6 of the mags say cold 45, have the pony. 5 of them have ‘M’ on upper corner. One doesn’t have any letter indicating place of manufacture? Most are all blued steel, seem to lack the blue by the baseplate?? One is silver in color, maybe aluminized steel?? It’s magnetic but has an aluminum looking finish??

The one ‘colt’ mag, has same construction and then lack of good bluing on the bottom 1/4-3/8 of the mag just says ‘colt 45 auto’ and no letter, and no pony. Is this a colt mag?

Then there are a bunch of ones blued and stainless, with the pachmyayr base pads that have zero (so far) identifiable marks other than on the base pad. Some have basically identical followers to the colts, a few have domed followers?? No markings I can see.

Then there are a few ‘devel’ mags. They have a ‘duck billed’ follower??

The ones I’ve tried seem to work perfectly.

I’m just a 1911 newb and looking for more background on these metal boxes with springs…..ohhh, and then there are the unmarked extended mags….

I need some learning on 1911s, specifically the mags!

So, grabbed a sweet 1911TA for a great deal. Got a bunch of random mags too, which is where my questions start. Got it from a friend that likes guns, but is not a gun geek like myself…I’m very geeky on most modern firearms but other than shooting a few I’ve never delved deep into them, until now!

Other than factory SW mags, most of the mags have a ‘pachmayr(r)’ rubber baseplate pad, other side made in USA. 6 of the mags say cold 45, have the pony. 5 of them have ‘M’ on upper corner. One doesn’t have any letter indicating place of manufacture? Most are all blued steel, seem to lack the blue by the baseplate?? One is silver in color, maybe aluminized steel?? It’s magnetic but has an aluminum looking finish??

The one ‘colt’ mag, has same construction and then lack of good bluing on the bottom 1/4-3/8 of the mag just says ‘colt 45 auto’ and no letter, and no pony. Is this a colt mag?

Then there are a bunch of ones blued and stainless, with the pachmyayr base pads that have zero (so far) identifiable marks other than on the base pad. Some have basically identical followers to the colts, a few have domed followers?? No markings I can see.

Then there are a few ‘devel’ mags. They have a ‘duck billed’ follower??

The ones I’ve tried seem to work perfectly.

I’m just a 1911 newb and looking for more background on these metal boxes with springs…..ohhh, and then there are the unmarked extended mags….

I need some learning on 1911s, specifically the mags!
Pics of said 1911 please!

Hi OP, I am no expert but maybe I missed what you are asking? If you try the mags and they function fine. Use them. For me, when I get used mags in a 1911 or anything, I change out the springs in the mags as my life is more important than the cost of springs. Also, I know Ed Brown was going a magazine swap for a while and I certainly took advantage of that.

also, maybe post pics with the mags?

Pics of the lit in question would make pants tight. Just saying.
-Rubber base probably means he shot some pistol league would be my guess.

Hi OP, I am no expert but maybe I missed what you are asking? If you try the mags and they function fine. Use them. For me, when I get used mags in a 1911 or anything, I change out the springs in the mags as my life is more important than the cost of springs. Also, I know Ed Brown was going a magazine swap for a while and I certainly took advantage of that.

also, maybe post pics with the mags?
I’m no expert either in this regard!! I duno what I have for mags here….looking for history, info, these ones suck, these were good… etc.

I’m a 1911 newb….I’d appreciate a little lube for what I know is coming!

For range use anything that feeds is worth keeping, for carry (that hybrid holster is for carrying) I wouldn't use anything in my 1911s but Wilson Combat 47D mags ... they are flush fitting and hold 8 rds and have been reliable in all of the 1911's I have ever used or had.

CC
D8B82A63-3647-425D-B1CF-FEFFE4DD9054.jpeg
This my 90-95% EDC. She was real pretty when I bought her, loved her so much I been carrying her for the last 7 or so years….looks worse in real life….

Those are all fine for range use. Can find ‘em in bins at gun stores, shows etc. Like @cookiecutter said I’d only ever trust Wilson, NightHawk, or Tripp Cobra.

On another note, welcome to the addiction! Endless possibilities with mods. Once you’re hooked try a good 9mm 1911. They shoot like absolute laser beams.

For range use anything that feeds is worth keeping, for carry (that hybrid holster is for carrying) I wouldn't use anything in my 1911s but Wilson Combat 47D mags ... they are flush fitting and hold 8 rds and have been reliable in all of the 1911's I have ever used or had.

CC

I agree. If they work, run them but it wouldn't hurt to pick up some better mags for carry. I'm partial to Chip McCormick Powermags, but the 47D's are a great option as well.

View attachment 805104
This my 90-95% EDC. She was real pretty when I bought her, loved her so much I been carrying her for the last 7 or so years….looks worse in real life….
Wow ... I thought my Sig P220 (that I've had as my EDC for about that same timeframe) looked worn, but it's LNIB in comparison :O ... but it wouldn't matter. I point that thing and a half inch hole appears where I want it to ... so if it shows that it's used, I don't really care. Plus, I carry concealed, so it's not like anyone is gonna see it.

Those are all fine for range use. Can find ‘em in bins at gun stores, shows etc. Like @cookiecutter said I’d only ever trust Wilson, NightHawk, or Tripp Cobra.

On another note, welcome to the addiction! Endless possibilities with mods. Once you’re hooked try a good 9mm 1911. They shoot like absolute laser beams.
I’m already well into many other genres of firearm addictions….I’ve been trying to resist the 1911 for many years. I lost :(

Wow ... I thought my Sig P220 (that I've had as my EDC for about that same timeframe) looked worn, but it's LNIB in comparison :O ... but it wouldn't matter. I point that thing and a half inch hole appears where I want it to ... so if it shows that it's used, I don't really care. Plus, I carry concealed, so it's not like anyone is gonna see it.
Previous carry guns were black and wore much better. I loved the FDE for no good reason and it’s worn like shit, prob gonna have it redone…it’s a carry gun that I would t bat an eye if it fell off the roof. Still works. It’s no hammer fired single action metal pistol though….

Mags are mags. Watch 1911 takedown videos. Soon you'll have more experience with metal guns than most glock owners. Enjoy yourself, and read up on how to inspect and buy your next 5.

I'm partial to Chip McCormick
it's all i use. you can catch good sales on chips a couple times a year at midway. i'd pick up 10 12 just to have them. i've said this a few times...i heard a couple years ago, chip sold his line to wilson combat. i don't know any more than that. does wilson manufacture them now? or does he buy them off of c.m.? dunno. what i do know is i had problems with wilson mags. the slide wouldn't hold open on the last shot fired. not all but most. it's not my job to buy new springs ro replace old springs on a bunch of new, not cheap, magazines. not trusting the wilsons, i went 100% chip mccormick mags. i have enough to run all my 1911's and have at least 20 still new in the bags for replacements should i need one. just sayin', everyone's results are different. you got to run them in your own pistols to get an opinion. of course i have dozens of usgi mags and they function fine. go figure.

it's all i use. you can catch good sales on chips a couple times a year at midway. i'd pick up 10 12 just to have them. i've said this a few times...i heard a couple years ago, chip sold his line to wilson combat. i don't know any more than that. does wilson manufacture them now? or does he buy them off of c.m.? dunno. what i do know is i had problems with wilson mags. the slide wouldn't hold open on the last shot fired. not all but most. it's not my job to buy new springs ro replace old springs on a bunch of new, not cheap, magazines. not trusting the wilsons, i went 100% chip mccormick mags. i have enough to run all my 1911's and have at least 20 still new in the bags for replacements should i need one. just sayin', everyone's results are different. you got to run them in your own pistols to get an opinion. of course i have dozens of usgi mags and they function fine. go figure.
Interesting ... I bought both CM and WC (47D) when I first got a 1911 and had the exact opposite experience (CM's failed and WC were flawless) :). Maybe the smart thing for the OP to do is get one or two of each and see how they work in his guns (with his preferred ammo). I thought that they both (CM and WC) looked like really solid and high quality mags, so I am surprised that they seem to perform differently.

Nice pics and nice pistol. I see you are stepping up in the gun department. The triggers will be night and day. Anyway like I mentioned earlier, swap out the mag springs and while they are apart, clean and lube them. for me, I would take them to the range after reprinting them and any hicups at all remove the spring and trash the mag. I do have nighthawk, Volkmann, Wilson magazines as they came with the gun. I did swap out most of my “generic” 1911 mags with generic meaning I am not sure where they came from, when Ed Brown had a magazine swap a few years ago.

I too had a SW1911TA many moons ago…great gun. Mine would not shoot any type of reloads though. I tried several different types but none seemed to work. It ate just about any factory ammo at threw at it. At the SW Performance Store where I bought it the guy said it was due to a match barrel. I don’t believe that but i did shoot the crap out of the gun.
compared to your carry gun, complete disassembly is different. You get a feeling or the brilliance of JMB when you take the gun apart. If you are looking at things to do with it, perhaps over time accumulate say spare springs, pins, etc just in case. Also, when disassemble, pull off the grips and check for corrosion there. Light coat of oil as well should keep it solid.

I have CM's in 45 and WC's in 45, 9, and 10mm. All of them work 100% in every 1911 I own. I've heard Tripp is an excellent magazine but when I find something that works I generally don't stray.

Duno how much I’ll carry this guy, it’s kinda nice for an EDC. I’m an electrician and a dirty woodsman, I’m hard on stuff. Not my first hammer fired all metal gun, love hammer fired steel guns (both aluminum and steel lowers).

Last edited:
Duno how much I’ll carry this guy, it’s kinda nice for an EDC. I’m an electrician and a dirty woodsman, I’m hard on stuff. Not my first hammer fired all metal gun, love hammer fired steel guns (both aluminum and steel lowers).

1911’s are the ultimate edc. It’ll run 10’s of thousands of rounds, and when it wears out you just have it rebuilt/refinished. 1911s survived countless wars and over a hundred years of production. There’s a reason why most gun manufacturers offer a 1911 and people still buy them.

1911’s are the ultimate edc. It’ll run 10’s of thousands of rounds, and when it wears out you just have it rebuilt/refinished. 1911s survived countless wars and over a hundred years of production. There’s a reason why most gun manufacturers offer a 1911 and people still buy them.
Not trying to argue, however, my carry philosophy is more along the lines of cheap disposable always go bang, nothing fancy, who cares if it gets lost and lots of magazine compatibility…. I’m not really so much a Glock guy, they’re the Honda civic or Toyota Corolla of guns. They work, nothing to write home about. (I drive a lariat superduty 350, way fancier than I need).

I’m not carrying my shadow, my cz-75, my 229, 226, 92fs…..I could go on.

To me, a carry gun is potentially a throw away gun. Doesn’t hurt that I have 34 round mags for multiple of these crappy trigger plastic guns in every vehicle and all around the house.

Anyways, I’m upgrading to a fancy Gun, and I’m excited about it.

View attachment 805104
When you put that up for sale in the classifieds, make sure the ad reads "minor holster wear" "Less than 100 rounds fired" maybe LNIB

I'd suggest taking an awl and scratching different letters or numbers onto those mags so if you start getting misfeeds you'll know which mag is faulty.
Also run several 100 round boxes of ammo through that pistol before you carry it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom