NEW-B and a question

Hey Everybody,
Eddie Coyle is a top friend of mine and told me about this site.
So far, searching threads, this looks like a great place with some good people.

Like Jim, I'm in MA and got my LTC about a year ago. I've shot trap in the past and own a few rifles and shotguns.

Now I'm getting ready to purchase my first handgun. Keep in mind whatever I buy will be for having fun at the range and "maybe" to carry occationally.

The big question for you guys is: What would be a good first gun? Revolver or semi-auto? Manufacturer? What caliber?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Last edited:
300px-Imi_uzi_b22.jpg

Depends on your experience with handguns. If you've never owned one or handled one then I'd recommend getting a revolver. A nice S&W M66 is a nice revolver to start with. 38 and 357 mag compatible. Can be carried reliably. You can pick one up for relatively short money.

Pal,

I would've given you the "get a .22 so you can learn to shoot without scaring yourself" answer, but I know that you can shoot, and you said you'd carry it occasionally so here it is:

Glock 19 (9mm) for an auto, or a S&W K-frame .38 (like a Model 10) with either a 2" or 4" barrel. Either of these is cheap enough to shoot, powerful enough to carry, and accurate enough to hit what you aim at when you're at the range.

Look around and buy a decent used one. Then if you ever decide to part with it, you'll be able to get your money back (probably from me).

You may want to consider a .22 handgun. The Ruger Mark II/III series or the Walther P22 would be good choices. The ammunition is inexpensive and will help you familiarize yourself with handguns. A .22 is a poor choice for a carry weapon, but it is still possible.

Another solid choice would be a decent 1911. Do you have a price range?

First off, welcome to the forum, and we won't hold it against you about the Eddie Coyle thing. [smile]

I'd suggest you ask Eddie what his favoite handgun is. He claims it's a beat up antique of a .38 that he can hit shotgun shells with at 100 yards. I'd get one of those. Ask Eddie about it (Might be an inside joke here)

Eddie did give some good advice. You can't go wrong with a Model 10, though I prefer the 4" instead of a 2", unless I am mostly going to be carrying it.

Actually, I'd suggest a used Model 19 S&W, 4" barrel and adjustable sights. Shoots .38 and .357. It's a very versitile gun.

There is a new model S&W also, the 620 or 520, that is a stainless steel, 4" .38/357 with adjustable sights.

I also like the Ruger GP 100. I own two and I've taught a lot of people to shoot with them.

Bill

I just bought a Walther P22 yesterday at FS. Plan on using it as my training gun - and also as a good gun to use when introducing non gun owners to shooting. My wife is somewhat against/afraid of guns and this one did not seem to turn her off too much. I plan on taking her up to the range next weekend and see if an hour or so of target shooting can at least open her mind a little.

Welcome to the crazy house ! Can't go wrong with a Glock. Your choice of caliber and a .22 conversion kit = [smile] .

Ruger MkIII 22-45 is nice for a plinker.

My first semiautomatic hand gun was a Sig P226 in 9mm.

I have owned a lot of fine weapons since then but that was the first and also one of the best I have ever owned.

So depending on how big your hand is I would either get the P226 or the P229 in 40SW.

Two Very accurate and top quality weapons.

Welcome to the crazy house ! Can't go wrong with a Glock. Your choice of caliber and a .22 conversion kit = [smile] .

Ruger MkIII 22-45 is nice for a plinker.

A Glock with the appropriate Advantage Arms .22LR conversion kit is an excellent choice too - that way you are training on the same platform with .22LR as you would shoot in the regular calibre. 9MM and .40S&W are available at Walmart in Remington white box 100 packs for affordable prices which means you can afford to shoot more.

I bought a Glock 22 (.40S&W) as my first pistol - it's easy to shoot, easy to clean, and is pretty accurate.

The big question for you guys is: What would be a good first gun? Revolver or semi-auto? Manufacturer? What caliber?
The one that fits your hand properly. [smile]

Seriously, I have short fingers, so I wouldn't have bought the Model 19 that was my first handgun - but the shop had a set of used Siles rubber grips for it that made it a perfect fit.

While I did follow the path that a lot of folks here recommend (S&W K-frame revolver in .357), a really good idea would be to shoot some of Jim's guns, maybe come with him to the range next time that there's an NES shoot and try out some of the guns there. Most (if not all) of us are pretty easy about letting someone try out our guns and that way you get to look at a LOT of guns at once and you can see what feels right for you and what doesn't.

(FYI... first two handguns for me were the Mod 19 and a Ruger Mk 1... and I mostly shoot my 1911 these days. Carry gun for discreet occasions is a Kahr K9 or a S&W snubbie in .38)

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I have average size hands with long fingers.

I've shot some of Jims guns (including the 500...holy snickers!). I also shot a bunch of different guns during the LTC class. Think I've decided on a semi-auto.

I had no idea there was a 22 cal. coversion kit for Glocks. Presume this is the kit; http://www.advantagearms.com/conversion_kit.html

I like the idea of cheap shooting, but still being able to go back to the original caliber.

Welcome to the forum, Dan!

I would go to the range with as many friends as you can and try a bunch of different guns. Fins out what you like, what you can shoot well, or what just seems to have good mojo for you.

If you are in North Central MA, you are probably sort of close to the Smith and Wesson store, from which you can rent any production gun they have, and shoot it at their range for $25.00 per 50 rounds, and you can rent as many guns as you like, as long as your wallet holds out.

Starting out, I knew no one with many guns so I was at that range a lot, testing different guns, and it was very helpful in my initial selections.

Welcome aboard Dan. I'm a newbie as well and have yet to purchase my first firearm (still waiting for the LTC-A to show up [angry]). For what I want, around the home and range, not carrying, I plan to get a medium frame .357 revolver as a first handgun.

Where in central MA are you? I'm in Winchendon. There is a good group of NES members in and around the area that have been very willing to let me try out their various handguns and rifles to see what "works" for me. Actually, the revolver I liked best so far was EddieCoyle's .45, but that's probably a bit large for you're needs. Yes, I've tried the 500, and no I don't have "the grin" (yet).

Kevin

Another choice to try out and see what you might like is to go up to Manchester Firing Line (Manchester NH) and look thru the stuff they have for rent. See what fits you hand good - and then you can rent it for an hour and try shooting it to see if you like it. I did that with a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 and a Glock 19 before I bought my Glock 22. I really wanted a 19 but they are hard to come by so I got the 22 to tide me over until I can find
a 19.

Hey Everybody,
Eddie Coyle is a top friend of mine.

Dan

If this is truly the case, he will allow you to borrow anything he has for extended periods of time and would even buy something new for you to try. This is the best way to decide on what you really want.

Take your time and shoot the hell out of them before you make a decision. return them to your "Top Friend" only to be cleaned. A true friend will do as you ask.

Regards,

Oh, welcome to the Forum. Try a wheel gun they are real guns [smile]

[wave] hello

I'd say, go to Four Seasons, see what they have used (because why buy new? after the first shot it's used anyway) handle each pistol, see which one feels the best in your hand and buy that one. Why not, it's not like you won't buy more. I don't know anybody that only has one pistol. They're like rabbits, they keep multiplying when you're not looking.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

I have average size hands with long fingers.

I've shot some of Jims guns (including the 500...holy snickers!). I also shot a bunch of different guns during the LTC class. Think I've decided on a semi-auto.

I had no idea there was a 22 cal. coversion kit for Glocks. Presume this is the kit; http://www.advantagearms.com/conversion_kit.html

I like the idea of cheap shooting, but still being able to go back to the original caliber.

That's the one, there are one or two other kits out there also to convert Glocks over to .22LR, but the Advantage kit is the best one out there from everthing I can determine. If you look at the chart you will see that the kits are compatible with multiple Glock models - which means that if you had more than one Glock in the same frame size - say a 17 (full size 9mm) and a 22 (full size .40) the kit would work on both.

I just bought a Walther P22 on Saturday - and I have had the Glock 22 for a month or so now - I can tell you that the Glock is very simple to disassemble and clean - the Walther looks like it is not going to be quite as easy. With one of the Advantage Arms kits I believe you could switch easily back and forth between .22LR and the regular calibre

(snip) Think I've decided on a semi-auto. (snip)

Still leaves lots of decision-room. Have you tried both single & double-action autos for fit? Did the LTC class discuss the difference? With longer fingers you may not mind a double-stack pistol in 9mm or .40 S&W.

People will probably scream a bit at the suggestion, but have you tried a basic military-style 1911A1? It is the best examplle of a single-stack single-action pistol. A good double-stack double-action wonder nine would be a Beretta M9/Model 92 or a S&W 59.

These are all full-size pistols, so your practice sessions will be productive, but your concealed carry may be more difficult.

Trying other's guns is the best bet.

Also, I was talking with one of the techs at Glock and he told me that he's owned an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion for many years, can't break it and says it is a great platform to use for cheap practice. [The discussion went there due to my Wife's post-surgery (carpal tunnel & tendinitis) inability to shoot her G17 comfortably any more.]

So it is on my long list of things to buy some day (meanwhile she has a S&W 622 to comfortably plink with).

Back
Top Bottom