New carry piece?

I'm thinking about selling p99c as and buying a G33. Any thoughts on the glock. My one question is what kind of .357 is it? Sig, gap pretty sure not magnum. All this depends on actually finding and liking G33 available in MA.

The Glock 33 is a .357Sig. It can handle this round but many people find it a handful. You might want to try to test one first unless you are a magnum junkie.

Just finished reading on the difference .357 sig & magnum they seem pretty close, is the ammo as readily available. Next question how expensive to shoot?

It's an expensive round but you can convert it to .40 or even 9mm with a replacement barrel for relatively cheap. Changing to .40 is seamless, changing to 9mm is only recommended for target use.

The .40 Glock barrels just pop in and use the same mags. I tend not to listen to people about how a round handles. When I bought my G29 people were telling me that hot loaded 10mm's were going to rip my arms off.

I still have them and they're attached...

I love my G33. The only drawbacks are there's not a lot of variety for the .357 Sig round, and ammo is generally more expensive. On the plus side, it's a great gun, a great round, and when you shoot it at the range people will ask what the heck is making all that noise. It can be a handful, but it's a nice little carry gun. There's not a ton of .357 Glocks in Mass., but it's always worth posting a WTB thread in the classifieds.

One thing to keep in mind, the .357 Sig round is like a .357 mag round in that without a 4 inch barrel you'll be sacrificing velocity, which is the advantage of that round. If you're looking for a sub-compact Glock, I'm willing to bet you'll get similar performance out of a G27 (.40 caliber) as you would out of a G33. I'm sure there's some chrono junkies on here who could tell you for sure one way or the other.

Definitely shoot one before you buy if you can, but good luck with your search.

I have thought about and am still thinking about getting a .357 Sig but what has kept me away is the fact that .357 Sig is really only made for the 125 gr. bullet intended for two legged critters. When tested the Sig round is not capable of loading heavier "hunting/woods-protection" rounds. So just in case you haven't, keep in mind the .357 Sig is really a one-job tool but it is good at what it does.

If the size of the G33 is not a "must have" then you're better off
getting a G32. The G32 is only marginally larger than your P99c
and holds more ammo. (you can use preban hicaps with it, etc. )

It's probably just me but I find that the G19/G23/G32 point/handle
better. And it's still a skinny gun overall so is not that hard to
carry.

-Mike

I love my G33. The only drawbacks are there's not a lot of variety for the .357 Sig round, and ammo is generally more expensive. On the plus side, it's a great gun, a great round, and when you shoot it at the range people will ask what the heck is making all that noise. It can be a handful, but it's a nice little carry gun. There's not a ton of .357 Glocks in Mass., but it's always worth posting a WTB thread in the classifieds.

One thing to keep in mind, the .357 Sig round is like a .357 mag round in that without a 4 inch barrel you'll be sacrificing velocity, which is the advantage of that round. If you're looking for a sub-compact Glock, I'm willing to bet you'll get similar performance out of a G27 (.40 caliber) as you would out of a G33. I'm sure there's some chrono junkies on here who could tell you for sure one way or the other.

Definitely shoot one before you buy if you can, but good luck with your search.

Good points but the performance part is not quite accurate. I have used 357SIG for about 5 or 6 years on various platforms (currently Sig 239) Not much if any velocity or performance differences between the 4" barrel guns and the sub compacts due to cartridge and bullet design.

357SIG has a very different recoil. Low Muzzle flip and almost a straight back recoil. Great cartridge, not difficult to reload, and cheaper to reload than 40S&W due to it using a 9MM bullet.

Still waiting for my 357SIG barrel for the M&P but hoping for Christmas [wink]

The Speer Gold Dot rounds are the best self defense rounds and about any other 357SIG for practice. (I use Frangible and Clean Fire Frangible)

Enjoy it, but look into the Sig 239 or the S&W M&P compact soon to be out in 357SIG.

I have a G32 3rd. gen. gun, I thought I would like shooting the 357sig round. However I found out that this in not a round you want to go to the range and just target shoot with. The ammo is expensive so I started reloading, you need new brass I tried to use once fired and found it hard to get a consistent reload length. This round also seems to compress my wrist more then most other guns I shoot. A case in point I have a G29 sub compact 10mm. I have no problem shooting this round all day, with the 357sig. I get tired after 100 rounds. Yes you can put a 40S&W barrel in the gun and shoot 40S&W. You would be better served with a G23 (same as the 32 except in 40S&W) and buying a 357sig barrel.
By the way I can supply SS barrels for all Glocks and these barrels you can shoot lead through.
All barrels run around $100.00

I carry a G36 and I am still working on controlling it. I'm pretty comfortable with very close range accuracy but at 15 yards its a struggle to keep fast consecutive shots accurate.

I also have a G23 and am starting to realize that its actually pretty similar in size with my finger extension. I think i could legit carry my 23 just as comfortably as my G36. For me its more the width of the gun than size.

I've toyed with the idea of carrying a 4.25" 1911 because I'm much more accurate with it.

Basically my opinion is that for me, a 45 in a sub compact is difficult. Personally I wouldn't go with a 357. A hollow point 40 caliber should be fine.

A close friend of mine just sold his G36, I shot it on a regular basis and loved it, with the purchase of the S&W DK I will probably shoot steel very little with the G33. I want a lot of stopping power in a small package. This seems to be the answer. I think now that it's been a little while I regret getting the 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom