• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New cartridge breeds

NES Member
Scrivey's joke about the .45 GAP made me chuckle, but than I had to think about it. Just out of curiosity, Does anyone know what the last cartridge design was that "took off" and made a significant effect in the market?

Off the top of my head I was thinking maybe the .17HMR or maybe the 5.7X28

Last edited:
I think you pretty much nailed it with those most recent two. The problems that new calibers usually run into is the cost and availability of the ammo. Many people (myself included) seem to stick to the more common calibers as they are usually available as surplus and easier on the wallet but even that is changing with today's economy.

Although its been out for a while, I'd say that 40 S&W is/was also one of the last new fairly large sellers and I think it was because alot of PDs started using it.

id say that the 17hmr was one of them me and a friend both bought the same rifle in 17hmr they only difference was my rifle has a stainless barrell and a lighter wood stock but stiil a great cartrige for the money i got 500 rounds of hornady for $108.00 yah a little more expensive than a .22 ( $10.00 for 550 rounds).

The .40 S&W's rise was meteoric. We're unlikely to ever see a handgun cartridge take off like that again.

The .40 S&W's rise was meteoric. We're unlikely to ever see a handgun cartridge take off like that again.

I agree - the .40 S&W was something else, (still is). After shooting the .357Sig however, I had hoped for more success for this cartridge. I'm no cartridge guru, but for me, the .357Sig was just about perfect in my Glock22. It felt more crisp and flat shooting than the .40 - almost rifle like. The short time I carried my G22, it was always loaded with .357Sig, but alas - the .40 was more affordable to shoot...

I would like to see the 6.5 Grendel take off.

.260 Remington as well.

My .40 barrel has been gathering dust ever since I got my .357Sig barrel. Perfect handgun round if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom