• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New CMP Garands are Coming in! Post them here!

A little off topic but I just tried a new method of getting to cosmo out of the stock of my M1 that came in last month and it worked the best I have ever seen. I took the wood and wrapped it in paper and then in a black trash bag and taped the bag tight to the stock. I left it in the rear window of my car (it didn't look to strange so that it was screaming "gun part") for two days. When I unwrapped it all the cosmo was out and in the paper towels and it looked real nice and still had the "patina" that we look for. I found this method on another board and felt I would share. Best method I have used so far with no danger to the stock and little to no mess.

yes works well doesnt it. Armorer's Corner - Wood Cleaning Article this is the write up from the cmp Section #9 also works very well. I love tung oil!

Time to start my thread!

Mailed: 6/24/13 - ordered a SA in FG. Requested WWII receiver, GI wood, milled TG.
Received certified: 6/27/13
DBU: 7/11/13

T

Last edited:
I just got mine today as well. Just unboxed it. HRA Service grade Garand. Looks great, can't wait to get it to the range. It has USGI wood too, not the new CMP stocks. My trigger guard looks different from the HRA Garand above, what's the difference/reason for this? Is there a website that can tell me more about my Garand? I haven't cleaned mine yet either. Tomorrow morning I will try to get some of that done

photo-7 (2).jpg photo-8 (2).jpg

Last edited:
looking over the dates posted on order progress mine should be here with the next 15 business days! I best be getting me some old wood!
nice guns guys, im lov'n the deep red tones of those stocks.

A little off topic but I just tried a new method of getting to cosmo out of the stock of my M1 that came in last month and it worked the best I have ever seen. I took the wood and wrapped it in paper and then in a black trash bag and taped the bag tight to the stock. I left it in the rear window of my car (it didn't look to strange so that it was screaming "gun part") for two days. When I unwrapped it all the cosmo was out and in the paper towels and it looked real nice and still had the "patina" that we look for. I found this method on another board and felt I would share. Best method I have used so far with no danger to the stock and little to no mess.

Did you do any disassembly and wrap the metal parts separately in paper towel, or just the whole rifle?
Wondering what to do about the cosmo in the barrel and the innards...

Did you do any disassembly and wrap the metal parts separately in paper towel, or just the whole rifle?
Wondering what to do about the cosmo in the barrel and the innards...

Just the wood. I hand cleaned the metal and greased them. I always found the wood would still give up cosmo no matter how well you cleaned by hand.

I just got mine today as well. Just unboxed it. HRA Service grade Garand. Looks great, can't wait to get it to the range. It has USGI wood too, not the new CMP stocks. My trigger guard looks different from the HRA Garand above, what's the difference/reason for this? Is there a website that can tell me more about my Garand? I haven't cleaned mine yet either. Tomorrow morning I will try to get some of that done

View attachment 72589View attachment 72590

More gi wood! nice score!

Haven't cleaned her up yet. Just rushed to take some photos. Lighting is pretty poor too :/

9262251213_9ff0056405_b.jpg

Get that greasy gun off the good furniture! -- signed, your wife.

Seriously, congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I Ordered a SA CMP Special:

Sent application: Late April
Received: 05/02/2013
Didn't get DBU, So I B'd them. They said they sent DBU on: 05/10/2013
Hit the Estore: 07/11/2013(says within 30 days)
CC: ?
Ship: ?
Delivered: ?

Also, I ordered some more 30.06 ammo on the estore:
Ordered: 06/24/2013
Shipped: 07/10/2013
Delivered: Est. 07/16/2013

Time to start my thread!

Mailed: 6/24/13 - ordered a SA in FG. Requested WWII receiver, GI wood, milled TG.
Received certified: 6/27/13
DBU: 7/11/13

T

Order hit the e-store today: 7/26/13...seems kind of fast...15 days?

Order # Ord. Date Ship Date Cust # Loc. SLM. Purchase Order # Ship Via
475041 07/26/2013 TBD 255578 AD SDH FedEx Priority

T

Maj, if you look at the New Order Timeline thread at CMP Forums, rifles are about 120 days from DBU to Shipment. When you factor in the recent newsletter from Orest regarding rifle orders and the CMP's declining stock of M1 rifles, it looks like we might be at the end of M1 Garands from the CMP:

The following update will be emailed to all our customers:
MANY M1 GARAND OPTIONS – SOLD OUT. As most of our customers and competitors know, this year has seen has seen a nationwide unprecedented purchasing of firearms and ammunition. The panic buying, along with the increased popularity of the M1 Garand has impacted significantly on the CMP. Our store racks are bare and our M1 Garand ready to ship inventory of several grades and manufacturers has been wiped out and the waiting list (backorders) for some items exceeds 2,000 orders. As a result, we have stopped accepting orders for several grades and manufacturers. Please see http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm for additional information.

Several years ago CMP received a large quantity of M1 Garand rifles from the U.S. Army. People generally assume that these were complete rifles, already packed and ready to ship. That is not the case. The "rifle" may be a stripped receiver, welded rifle, barreled receiver, complete rifle, used, unused, or even a lump of metal with a tag on it saying that this was serial number xxxxx destroyed in a fire. We still have thousands of these uninspected rifles in storage. The rifles are stored in unopened crates in several warehouses. We work (inspect, repair as needed, and grade) these rifles one crate at a time. Until we work a crate, we do not know what manufacturer we will find or how the rifle will grade.

The item with the largest amount of backorders is RM1HRAS, Harrington and Richardson Arms (HRA) Service Grade M1 Garand. Our serial number records show that we have significantly more HRA serial numbers than any other manufacturer, which is why we are still taking orders for this option. We do find 10-20 M1 Garands manufactured by Springfield Armory (SA) each week. We are not finding enough of these SA to again begin accepting orders for them, but as we do find SA M1 Garands, we are contacting customers on the RM1HRAS list to see if they would accept the SA as a substitute, since pricing is the same for both. We work the oldest orders first and are now contacting a few customers whose orders were received in Mar, 2013. We request that customers not contact us requesting a change, but wait till we contact them, since we will give the opportunity to change first to oldest orders.

AGUILA .22 CAL AMMO: This week we received an unexpected 300 cases of Aguila 419ASVGE and 400 cases of Aguila 419ASVSE. Oldest orders for these two items will be processed next week. This will still leave 5,460 open orders for the standard velocity 419ASVSE and 309 orders for Golden Eagle 419ASVGE. The next shipment is expected in October, 2013.

Orest

CMP Chief Operating Officer

[crying]

I thought I read a post on CMP that they would done and out of the rifle side in about two years. Maybe they've been hit harder than they thought.

We gotta get those Garands and carbines over from Korea. Well, the Garands at least.

MS

I thought I read a post on CMP that they would done and out of the rifle side in about two years. Maybe they've been hit harder than they thought.

We gotta get those Garands and carbines over from Korea. Well, the Garands at least.

MS
Yep, I've read the same multiple times and yet here we are. Look at the sales page. Maybe they underestimated demand or their inventory. Who knows, but I'm not ready for the CMP to run out!

From one of the past articles in the Garand collectors Association they mentioned up wards of 30K rifles came from the turkish returns, from my understanding thats what they are working through right now. Thing is as posted in the email. A reciever is a rifle. So they need to go through them. Also I would emagine that there are still 10s of thousands left beyound that in the CMP special area they just can build them fast enough. I cant see the cmp getting into refinishing/re barreling M1 garands for only a few thousand? I do think that with the current climate and if the prices remain where they are they will sell out faster than most would like.

for you Terrence!!!

I sent Terrence a teaser email that I have ordered 4 of these HRAs and the 4th one showed up. it is nicer than the other 3!!. Someone told me there was a 7 month waiting period. Since I had bought 3, I figured in 7 months, I could have the cash for the 4th. UNFORTUNATELY it showed up in 4 months. oh well. can't complain based on what I got!

HRA cartouche, 98-99% blue, inspection P mark. can anyone believe we are getting these for $650 delivered? buy yours now. pretty soon, we will all sound like old timers talking about "the way it was"

- - - Updated - - -

for you Terrence!!!

I sent Terrence a teaser email that I have ordered 4 of these HRAs and the 4th one showed up. it is nicer than the other 3!!. Someone told me there was a 7 month waiting period. Since I had bought 3, I figured in 7 months, I could have the cash for the 4th. UNFORTUNATELY it showed up in 4 months. oh well. can't complain based on what I got!

HRA cartouche, 98-99% blue, inspection P mark. can anyone believe we are getting these for $650 delivered? buy yours now. pretty soon, we will all sound like old timers talking about "the way it was"

Wow. 40 cal go play the lottery right now. That is a FAP worthy HRA right there. GI wood, crusty-fresh parkerizing. Great ME/TE readings. God I love M1 Garands and the CMP.

40 cal, you can do better sell that thing to me and reorder the next batch of HRA are better......................nice another USGI stock, man my odds are dwindling

That stock is really nice. The matching color, it doesn't look too ate up, etc.

40 cal, it looks like that rifle has an older style gas cylinder lock on it. I believe an HRA of that vintage should have a high hump lock on it. If you want to correct that check one of your other amazing M1 rifles and see if that has a mismatched lock to swap. But in the grand (Garand?) scheme of things its not a huge deal since most people won't notice that minor detail while their eyes are glued to the glory of USGI walnut.

FYI,

Once your order hits the e-store, you can't add to it. Yesterday I thought I'd tack on a couple boxes of 30/06, but no-go.

MS

Back
Top Bottom