New gun for the wife

I was THINKING it, but I wasn’t going to say it.View attachment 542477View attachment 542478

OP, just for formalities sake, how did you answer question 1 on your background check?
Since the OP was the “buyer” of the firearm, he would answer yes. If you are giving a firearm as a gift, you are still the actual buyer of the firearm. Nothing in Fed law says you can’t buy a firearm and gift it to another person (as long as they are in your state and can legally own the firearm). You are not buying the firearm “on behalf” of another person (meaning that they are paying you to buy the gun). You are buying it for yourself so you can gift it to someone else. If I want to give my nephew, who lives in my state, a 10/22 when he turns 18 and gets his FID, I can certainly do that. And when I fill out the 4473 I answer “yes” because I am the buyer of the gun. As long as my nephew doesn’t pay me to buy it for him, it is not a straw purchase.

Since the OP was the “buyer” of the firearm, he would answer yes. If you are giving a firearm as a gift, you are still the actual buyer of the firearm. Nothing in Fed law says you can’t buy a firearm and gift it to another person (as long as they are in your state and can legally own the firearm). You are not buying the firearm “on behalf” of another person (meaning that they are paying you to buy the gun). You are buying it for yourself so you can gift it to someone else. If I want to give my nephew, who lives in my state, a 10/22 when he turns 18 and gets his FID, I can certainly do that. And when I fill out the 4473 I answer “yes” because I am the buyer of the gun. As long as my nephew doesn’t pay me to buy it for him, it is not a straw purchase.
Touche’!

I stand corrected.

Back
Top Bottom