New here...

...and wanted to say this forum looks great. I've 'ghosted' on here for awhile and unlike other forums, this place appears to be populated by knowledgeable, well-balanced people that actually seem to know and value the idea of community, so kudos to everyone here!

As for the topic of my first post, I was wondering how many of you MA residents have applied for Machine Gun licenses, and what the outcome was.

I want to apply, and already have an ALP Class A, a C&R FFL, as well as LTCs in NH and FL. I would think I wouldn't have much of a problem getting the MG license, but as any MA resident knows, what common sense tells you and the reality of gun laws in MA are usually in opposition...lol.

welcome major blood. we have a few members who have MG licenses, hopefully they will chime in with their experiences.

Hi Major. Nice to have you here.
I didn't apply for a MG license. I just asked and was laughed at so that's how far I got[frown]

Welcome aboard Major, Glad you like it here.
Good luck with the MGL, don't forget to invite me to the festivities once ya get it. [wink]

I didn't apply for a MG license. I just asked and was laughed at so that's how far I got[frown]

I thought that was for your drivers licence[thinking]

Welcome aboard Major, Glad you like it here.
Good luck with the MGL, don't forget to invite me to the festivities once ya get it. [wink]

I thought that was for your drivers licence[thinking]

Welcome to NES, Major! It's been discussed here a few times before, and it seems as though the best plan of action would be to discuss it with your CLEO first to see what they think, before even thinking about applying! Yes, you have your LTC-A, C&R, and other CCW permits, but that doesn't mean he'll approve an MG license. Not only do you want to not waste time just to be turned down, but you also don't want to have to answer "yes" to that little question of "Have you ever been denied a firearms license?"

Welcome to the board Major Blood.

As with any gun license in this state, it is up to the chief of police in your city or town of residence or city or town in which you own a business whether you are issued and as always you must meet the qualifications as set out in the laws.

I applied for and was issued an MG license in my town and have renewed it once and will renew it once more before I leave Mass for good.

Some good info to know before applying is whether there are other MG licenses issued in your city. If so, you must be treated with the same equality under the law if you qualify. If you qualify and are refused, are you prepared to sue for it? Are you prepared to move to a town that has an MG friendly chief?

A few that I can think of off the top of my head are Middleboro, Amesbury, Westfield, Westford, Lakeville, Paxton and Truro. I'm sure there are others but these are ones that I know for sure.

It is a sad state of affairs in Mass that all citizens of this commonwealth are not treated equally under the law and are left to the whims of one person (the local chief of police) when it comes to gun licensing and there are no criminal penalties for those cheifs who are successfully sued for denying the rights of citizens. All you can do is apply and go from there.
Know this, there has never to this point been a successful suit against a Mass chief for the issuance of a machinegun license, so if you sue and win, you will be the first in this state.

Best of luck. If you want it, go for it.

I'll have to second what Finalygotabeltfed said about towns. The town I live in had issued them in the distant past, but will no longer. After talking with a couple of LEOs in the town, I decided that not getting refused was the best option for me.

Welcome to the forum and we hope you enjoy it here.

As previously stated, there are some chiefs who absolutely refuse to issue ANY MG Licenses. No law forces them to issue any MG Licenses or LTCs for that matter.

So an advanced discussion (you already qualify by MGLs) with your chief would pay off here.

Then if you do win, there is the cost of "care and feeding" which can be overwhelming unless you have LOTS of disposable income.

Good luck.

Thanks for the hearty welcome and great advice everyone!

I think I'll have a lil talk with the woman who handles the application procedure here in Lynn. She's a very courteous and knowledgeable lady and was a great help in getting my LTC. I'm glad she acts as a buffer for the CLEO, that way I can pick her brain as far as his general attitudes towards MGs and also find out how successful others' attempts have been.

Once again, thanks everyone! I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome...

Thanks for the hearty welcome and great advice everyone!

I think I'll have a lil talk with the woman who handles the application procedure here in Lynn. She's a very courteous and knowledgeable lady and was a great help in getting my LTC. I'm glad she acts as a buffer for the CLEO, that way I can pick her brain as far as his general attitudes towards MGs and also find out how successful others' attempts have been.

Once again, thanks everyone! I'll keep you all posted as to the outcome...

She may be able to give you info about the number of other licenses issued but I would suggest that you talk directly to the chief and not through a third party concerning yours. If she is mistaken about your chief's attitudes on MG licenses, you and only you will suffer the consequences of her mistake. I had this happen to me when I simply asked for an application. I was told that "oh, he's not issuing those". Well guess what....two people whom I know personally had just picked theirs up two weeks prior.
I got the application, filled it out, paid my "fee", and told her to process the form. She thought she could run me out the door with a simple statement....that was false, actually an outright lie because she herself had processed the licenses that had been issued.
Talk directly to the man who's signature goes on the license.

This is not legal advice, just a friendly suggestion from someone who has done it.

Back
Top Bottom