New powder bar or additional powder measure for Dillon 550b change over

The number of calibers I'm reloading on my 550b is growing and it's time to place a big order for some proper conversion kits for my press. Calibers will be 380,9mm,45acp and 5.56. .40s&w will likely be in the future as well. Being cheap, and wanting to buy more components, I read in another thread about buying separate powder bars for each caliber so your charge is a least close instead of buying a whole new powder measure for each conversion.

This sounded like a good idea in the thread, but how does this actually work in the real world?

Waste of money.

You still need to change out the powder in the hopper and drop several charges to calibrate and check the weights anyway, a little screw turning isn't going to hurt.

I reload about 10 calibers combined both rifle and pistol on a 550b and only have two bars.

The more things you have to replace on the press the more likely you are to make a mistake.

If it's the same size powder bar I just turn the screw to adjust. However on some calibers, .44 mag and 45/70 for example, there may be a really big difference in charge weight for different loads. In that case I change to a different sized powder bar and leave everything else the same. If you frequently load a lot of one particular caliber you'll probably want get it its own dedicated quick change conversion kit (toohead, dies, measure) and just leave it set.

Last edited:
If you plan on switching back and forth between calibers, get extra powder measures.
That way you can leave the entire tool head intact for a caliber. Set it and forget it. A few pulls of the handle to check and confirm weight and you are on with production.

A powder measure is $75 if I remember. The cost of 3 pounds of powder. In my opinion its worth it, compared to cleaning out the bottle, and setting up the charge bar each time you switch over.

Waste of money.

You still need to change out the powder in the hopper and drop several charges to calibrate and check the weights anyway, a little screw turning isn't going to hurt.

Yup.

I've been buying Dillon powder measures for every caliber I load in quantity, and using a Hornady powder measure along with Quick Change Hornady powder dies for my less-frequently loaded calibers, and most of my rifle calibers.

The Hornady measure is easy to move around (no tools required) and it throws stick powders much better than the Dillon measures.

If you plan on switching back and forth between calibers, get extra powder measures.
That way you can leave the entire tool head intact for a caliber. Set it and forget it. A few pulls of the handle to check and confirm weight and you are on with production.

A powder measure is $75 if I remember. The cost of 3 pounds of powder. In my opinion its worth it, compared to cleaning out the bottle, and setting up the charge bar each time you switch over.

+1. Spare powder measures are the way to go; I have several on tool heads in various calibers for my 550s. Another consideration for those who reload a lot is that gun powder is very abrasive and your powder measures will wear out. The Dillon warranty is great and they will fix your powder measure very quickly, but what will you do while it is gone? Always have a spare.

Back
Top Bottom