New reloader here...

Just got a Lee classic turret kit and some manuals. Read the ABC's of reloading to learn a little. I just loaded my first twenty .38 special rounds as follows:

4 gr. Unique
158 gr. LSWC
Remington once fired brass
Winchester SP primers

On my first few rounds the OAL of the round was 1.415". Recommended minimum OAL is 1.42. Is it necessary to pull the bullets and redo the OAL to 1.42+?

Since this is not a max load I don't think it's necessary. Any opinions?
Thanks

Shouldn't be a problem.

I'd find something besides Unique and I personnaly don't like Win. primers.

Not a fan of Unique, either - very dirty; however, I personally prefer Winchester. Readily available, less like to perforate than Federal and not prone to hard strikes as CCI's are.

Not a fan of Unique, either - very dirty; however, I personally prefer Winchester. Readily available, less like to perforate than Federal and not prone to hard strikes as CCI's are.

Everything I've seen is Win is soft and more likely to perforate and have detonation from free floating pins like the AR.

Everything I've seen is Win is soft and more likely to perforate and have detonation from free floating pins like the AR.

If they don't perforate in my .38 Super race gun loads - and they don't, they're strong enough for my other applications, including .223.

The size diff. is not an issue.

Try 231. It's cleaner than the new Unique. Clays works good to.

I shot my reloads today, real pipsqueaks. Definitely have to up the ante a little. Once I run through the 1lb of Unique that I have i'll try out some W231.

Everything I've seen is Win is soft and more likely to perforate...---TonyD
I use Winchester SP and LP primers as my main everyday primers because I believe they are generally considered not as soft as Federal primers, but are softer then CCI primers.

I use Federal primers in some of my revolvers when I’ve had light strike issues on Winchester primers.

I don’t know how this translates into performance with AR type rifles or which primer you’re comparing them to (CCI?).

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom