New Veterans housing project in South Boston

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
A veterans housing project won out over an arts center. These projects split the community right down the middle, but I'm glad to see veterans housing has taken priority, even though my kids would have benefited from the Arts Center. I had friends leading both groups so I did a lot of sitting on my hands....

City-owned property on D Street that's currently home to the old South Boston Police Station will be converted into 24 rental units of affordable housing for veterans called Patriot Homes. The decision from the Public Facilities Commission comes after months of anticipation from the two proposals vying for the land.

"From our perspective, the need for this housing for veterans is only going to increase in the coming years, and we really wanted to be able to address that need here in South Boston, where we've historically had so many veterans living in the community," said Donna Brown, executive director of the South Boston Development Corporation, which proposed the Patriot Homes project.

Globe article.

Great use for that building. I know right where it is, I lived around the corner from it 15 years ago. Used to be a great little "beer and a shot" bar on the corner of D and W. 2nd street back then, probably a yuppie bistro now.

Now I hope they can keep the Auntie Zatuni's of the world out of it, and make sure our Veterans are not "last in peace"

I'll go take a look and see what's happened to your watering hole.

Not saying this was the case with your hangout, but a lot of them were drug fronts, so they disappeared within a few months of Whitey's departure.

Back
Top Bottom