Newest K98; bnz (SS) 1943

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Recently I added another Mauser to my collection (five and counting). A S/42G (Vet bringback) will be the next one. Or a G43 if I win the lottery.

Tim

1943 Geweher K98 8mm Mauser "bnz" (Steyr/Daimler/Puch) #8301, Russian capture and rework with mostly mismatched parts. Five Waffenamt marked parts remain from Steyr manufacture: receiver ("bnz") and barrel (673 and matching serial number), 77 (floorplate, bolt shroud, and cocking piece). The sight hood is a correct original (Steyr variant is lower and wider). There are five other Waffenamt manufacturer codes: Suhl 33 (stock) and 37 (extractor claw), Erma 280 (follower), Gustloff-Werke [or Berlin-Lubecker or Suhl] 214 (firing pin) and 359 (sight leaf), and Mauser/Obendorf 135 (sight base) and 655 (front band). Original metal finish, SS proof marked “SSZZA4” (SS Zentral Zeugamt 4 or SS Central Ordinance Depot No.4) on rare Astrawerke “I” marked receiver, and “S” proof rune on floor plate (indicates slave labor from Mauthausen camp complex at Gusen). Reproduction sling (I'll get an original one after Christmas), original cleaning rod, and original capture screws. Four matching numbers; cleaning rod, stock, barrel, and receiver. Cupped butt plate heavy pattern laminated stock with take down and bayonet lugs. Blue finish 90%. Barrel medium dark (has lightened with shooting and cleaning), very light pitting (could be copper), good. Import marked, R Guns, Carpentersville, IL. Shoots well, given the battle sight is actually 150, not 100, meters when flat. I have refinished the stock; stripper, mineral spirits, carnuba wax, and cold bluing touch-ups after removing rust and pitts from trigger.

100_0666.jpg

100_0662.jpg

SLg.jpg

100_0657.jpg

bnz43.jpg

100_0454.jpg

sslga.jpg

lgst.jpg

100_0453.jpg

100_0452.jpg

Shot 14.12.08, Sippican Gun Club.
100 yards, sitting, no rest.
Romanian 7.92x57 military surplus, 1977.

target.jpg

Last edited:
go to your pictures in photobucket and look for the image "IMG" code under your picture. copy and paste the code into the space where you type and your pictures will appear.

Do I have to be an NES member to get my own avatar? I filled in my profile, and was unable to unselect "no avatar".

you do not have to be a paid member to have a avatar. go to your user cp at the top red bar of the page and go to avatars. pick a image that you like from the web and resize it to no more than 150x150 pix then save it. click browse then open your pic and down load it and your all set.

you do not have to be a paid member to have a avatar. go to your user cp at the top red bar of the page and go to avatars. pick a image that you like from the web and resize it to no more than 150x150 pix then save it. click browse then open your pic and down load it and your all set.

You do have to be a member but now that he is green its good to go.

If you need help Tim, send Evan or someone else here who is good with PC graphics your image so they can resize and host it. Then you can add it to your avatar selection.

BTW... welcome to the Green side of the fence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom