NH: 2 Hunters Shoot Themselves

JonJ

NES Member
http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071116/GJNEWS02/711160024

Meredith man treated for gunshot wound to foot

By GAIL OBER
[email protected]
Article Date: Friday, November 16, 2007

A Meredith man was treated at Lakes Region General Hospital Thursday morning after accidentally shooting himself in the foot while hunting in Ahern State Park.

N.H. Department of Fish and Game Conservation Officer Michael Eastman said John A. Hurd, 53, was hunting with his nephew and his father around 7:45 a.m. when he shifted his 12-gauge shotgun from his right hand to his left. Eastman said the gun discharged one slug into Hurd's right foot at the top of his toes.

Eastman said Hurd is a very accomplished and experienced hunter and the incident is still under investigation. "This unfortunate incident demonstrates how important it is to make sure your safety is always on until you are ready to shoot," said Eastman.

Corrections Officers from the nearby Lakes Region correctional facility were the first to respond and were soon joined by the Laconia Police Department, the Belknap County Sheriffs Department, and conservation officers from the Department of Fish and Game.

Hurd was taken the Laconia Fire Department to the hospital and is in stable condition.

"Even for experienced hunters it's always a good idea to review daily what they need to do to be safe," said Laura Ryder, N.H. Fish and Game Hunter Education Supervisor.

She said since hunter education classes became mandatory in the late 1960s, hunting-related incidents have decreased each decade. She said overall New Hampshire has an excellent record for hunter safety.

This is the second hunting accident reported since black-power or muzzleloader season started Nov. 2. On Nov. 5, James White, 33, of Lisbon accidentally shot himself in the hand while he was attempting to reload his muzzleloader rifle while hunting deer.

Rifle season began Nov. 14 and continues until Dec. 2 said Eastman, who added there is no rifle hunting in the areas around Laconia, including Ahern State Park — only shotguns, muzzleloaders, and bows.

Ryder said all hunters should review the "Ten Commandments of Shooting Safety" each time they head out into the woods.

1. Treat every firearm with the same respect due a loaded firearm.

2. Control the direction of your firearm's muzzle.

3. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

4. Be sure the barrel and action are clear of obstructions.

5. Unload firearms when not in use.

6. Never point a firearm at anything you do not want to shoot.

7. Never climb a fence or tree, or jump a ditch or log, with a loaded firearm.

8. Never shoot a bullet at a flat, hard surface or at water.

9. Store firearms and ammunition separately.

10. Avoid alcoholic beverages or other mood-altering drugs before or while shooting.

This is the second hunting accident reported since black-power or muzzleloader season started Nov. 2. On Nov. 5, James White, 33, of Lisbon accidentally shot himself in the hand while he was attempting to reload his muzzleloader rifle while hunting deer.
One of the things that gives me the willies about loading the muzzleloader is that you have to have your hand over the muzzle while loading it. If there happens to be some residue smoldering in the base of the chamber, and that happens to light the powder charge while you are ramming the bullet down the barrel, yuck...

Though I didn't see the incident, I was there back in the 80's for the aftermath of a guy who shot the steel ramrod through his hand and out into space....A full charge for his .58 was backing up the ramrod as it went through his hand and disappeared into the sky. Ever since that day, I always take it really easy when I load my own .58 Zouave...

I'm da only one in dis room profeshunal enuff......

It is kinda weird that the whole "keep your snot picker off the bang switch till youre ready to make boomboom" is missing from that list. That should be No. 1. Or No. 0 (more important than 1).

[rofl]Atleast he wasnt standing next to the deer he just killed and had hanging from a tree to get his picture taken when another hunter shot him like the guy in CT a few years ago

One of the things that gives me the willies about loading the muzzleloader is that you have to have your hand over the muzzle while loading it. If there happens to be some residue smoldering in the base of the chamber, and that happens to light the powder charge while you are ramming the bullet down the barrel, yuck...

Which is why the prudent muzzle-loading enthusiast runs a cleaning patch down first. [wink]

Though I didn't see the incident, I was there back in the 80's for the aftermath of a guy who shot the steel ramrod through his hand and out into space.

I was taught to hold the ramrod between my thumb and forefinger when tamping a load for just that reason.

Which is why the prudent muzzle-loading enthusiast runs a cleaning patch down first. [wink]

I was taught to hold the ramrod between my thumb and forefinger when tamping a load for just that reason.

+1 and +1. Same reason you never put your hand over the hop of a motor round, you'll never get it out of the way in time. [smile]

That's kind of what I was thinking would be more safe. Just seemed logical...

+1 and +1. Same reason you never put your hand over the top of a motor round, you'll never get it out of the way in time. [smile]
Hop of a motor round? Huh?

Which is why the prudent muzzle-loading enthusiast runs a cleaning patch down first.
Good idea.

I wish I could, but quite often it requires more force than I can generate with thumb and forefinger. Should I be lubing the barrel more? Suggestions would be appreciated...

Back
Top Bottom