NH Alert: SB116. Still on the Gov's desk. ***Vetoed***

Hirsch letter (draft) below. I don't expect that it will change anything, but I feel better :)

Mr. Hirsch -

As a member of the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee I’m writing this in hopes that I can count on you for a vote of Ought To Pass to Senate Bill 116.

There are many people who refer to SB116 as “constitutional carry”. I agree with this statement, but also understand why many people believe otherwise. There are a number of people who argue that carrying a firearm “openly” is enough, and there is no need to allow someone to carry inconspicuously. Being able to carry openly meets the requirements of the US 2nd Amendment, as well as Part First, Art. 2A of the NH Constitution. In general, I do agree that being able to carry openly does meet the requirements of the US 2nd Amendment and Part First Art 2A of the NH constitution, however, it also constrains the person to not exercise this right while wearing a coat, or while driving a car. It also prevents someone who wishes to defend themselves from carrying their firearm in a purse, or backpack (legally, of course) as that would be defined as “non-open” carry. While it’s a bit of a silly stretch, let’s imagine what it would look like if we applied these same restrictions to another basic right, like free speech. People are welcome to assemble and have discussions, unless they are wearing coats, or jackets. Shirts and pants are fine. Perhaps a dress, but no jackets. that’s just too dangerous. And if we take freedom of the press, who often don’t speak, but write, or use some sort of technology to write, then carrying a pen, in the open, of course, is fine, but don’t put it in your pocket. Also no carrying of phones, tablet or computers inconspicuously. You must carry them exposed. Our rights do come with responsibility. Carrying an inconspicuous writing utensil implies an awesome responsibility in its care and, if necessary, its deployment. People who wish to inconspicuously carry writing utensils should honor that right and responsibility with the acquisition of a permit. It is an act of somber recognition that the safety of all of us is just as important as an individual right. After all, the pen is mightier than the sword (or, in modern vernacular, the computer is mightier than the firearm). Does this seem reasonable?

I’m sure that you’ve heard the argument from those who support SB116 that “criminals are going to have guns anyway, so we should just do away with this silly restriction”. While I’m actually a fan of getting rid of many malum prohibitum laws I’m not going to try to convince you of my stance on this. Let’s compromise and agree (for now) that criminals should not be allowed to carry weapons inconspicuously. Since RSA 159-3 and 3a are not impacted at all by SB116 that means that convicted felons and career criminals will still be excluded from owning or possessing a firearm. Even without RSA 159 there is still 18 U.S.C. 922(g) which says:

It shall be unlawful for any person—
(1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
(2) who is a fugitive from justice;
(3) who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));
(4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;
(5) who, being an alien— (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26)));
(6) who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
(7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;
(8) who is subject to a court order that— (A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had an opportunity to participate; (B) restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child; and (C) (i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or (ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or
(9) who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence, to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

SB116 in no way impacts RSA 159-3 or does it impact the existing federal code on possession and ownership of firearms. Criminals still can’t have them. People who can legally possess a firearm (and carry it around with them openly) can wear a coat. Great!!

The argument that I’ve heard from Law Enforcement themselves (it should be noted that law enforcement members are not required to comply with the requirements of RSA 159-4 or RSA 159-3, for that matter) who are required to deal with citizens who may or may not be armed on a daily basis is that “they should know who is and isn’t armed”. While I’m not a law enforcement officer, my argument is exactly the opposite. Those of us willing to submit to a Pistol and Revolver License to legally carry a firearm are significantly less of a danger than someone who is otherwise unknown to law enforcement. If there is anyone to be fearful of it isn’t those that have a Pistol and Revolver License, it’s those without one. The state of NH has no laws related to letting an officer know whether or not a person is carrying a firearm and an officer who relies on a “records check” to see if a person that they are approaching is carrying a firearm is putting themselves in much graver danger than approaching someone with a Pistol and Revolver License.

I’ll close by once again asking for your support of SB116 and for voting that the bill OTP as amended with the amendment made during the hearing last Tuesday. It is a common sense measure that allows citizens of the state to wear a coat. I appreciate your time.

nhpoke

I hadn't heard Ian Underwood speak before and hadn't seen the thread Bonesinium started. Very compelling arguments that I'm going to go through later in detail... His points could be used in many different discussions about federal overreach... Not just regarding firearms.

He (Ian Underwood) was on a recentish episode of GrokTalk. Might be one of these ... http://granitegrok.com/blog/2014/02/groktalk-february-8th-2014-with-carla-gericke-and-ian-underwood

He indicates one of the books he read that changed his way of thinking was "Less Than Words Can Say" which I can't seem to start actually reading... Sourcetext can be found at http://www.sourcetext.com/grammarian/less-than-words-can-say/

Letter off to Mr. Hirsch. I don't expect it to make a difference (or to get a reply).

Last edited:
I hadn't heard Ian Underwood speak before and hadn't seen the thread Bonesinium started. Very compelling arguments that I'm going to go through later in detail... His points could be used in many different discussions about federal overreach... Not just regarding firearms.

he gave a very interesting talk at Liberty Forum on why using the arguments we do to try to persuade the other side that our view is correct and theirs is wrong fails.

He (Ian Underwood) was on a recentish episode of GrokTalk. Might be one of these ... http://granitegrok.com/blog/2014/02/groktalk-february-8th-2014-with-carla-gericke-and-ian-underwood

He indicates one of the books he read that changed his way of thinking was "Less Than Words Can Say" which I can't seem to start actually reading... Sourcetext can be found at http://www.sourcetext.com/grammarian/less-than-words-can-say/

Didn't check your link, but this is it on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, it won't matter. The libtards in Henniker and Bradford have us reasonable folks outnumbered...

Find a freestater to run as a dem (or run as one yourself) and primary him. Yes I am dead serious.

And if you do find such a person to run, actively help them. If that town is going to go dem, at least we can try to get a "dem" that will be with us more often.

Find a freestater to run as a dem (or run as one yourself) and primary him. Yes I am dead serious.

And if you do find such a person to run, actively help them. If that town is going to go dem, at least we can try to get a "dem" that will be with us more often.

Great idea.

The Milfs Demand Action crew was seen fumbling for answers to straightforward questions from the Representatives. Eva (the foreign broad) showed her true colors and loyalty to her family by throwing her son under the bus regarding his mental
illness. I wanted to say "Hey Lady, shame on you for being a terrible mother and not getting your son the help he needs. That's how you create your very own Adam Lanza."

That lady was a "special" kind of dirtbag, I knew it. I bet she thought she'd never be found out. I think there are some people like Rep. Mangipudi and Castillo-Turgeon who really come over to the USA and try to push whatever brand of the US Constitution they see fit. I'd bet that in their homeland countries the very idea of the 2A is unimaginable.

Still assigned to committee (which means that the committee hasn't voted on it yet). It isn't listed in the current House Calender yet, so only an "insider" will know the actual status.

UL editorial today

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150407/OPINION01/150409369

Carry permits: A fee for what?
EDITORIAL
Senators will debate this week a small administrative change that makes some sense as long as New Hampshire has a concealed carry permit process, which does not make sense.

Current law allows municipalities to charge $10 for concealed carry permits. The fees must go to the local government’s law enforcement agency. House Bill 607, sponsored by Rep. David Bickford, R-New Durham, states that the fees go to the municipality, not to the law enforcement agency.

In some municipalities, selectmen issue concealed carry permits. Mayors are given the authority as well. HB 607 allows local governments to dispense with the fees as they see fit. Sounds good, but aren’t the fees to cover processing costs? If not, why have them?

For that matter, why issue permits at all? The application process has become almost ceremonial. Permits must be issued if the “applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant’s person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose.”

However, the law allows enough discretion to get municipalities in trouble. There is no definition of “suitable person,” which empowers government officials to arbitrarily deny permits, which has happened. These are not gun permits; they are concealed carry permits for people who already own guns. Government should not have such discretion.

In Vermont, any legal gun owner may carry concealed without a permit. Last week Kansas became the fifth state with such a law (its new law takes effect in July). New Hampshire should eliminate the unnecessary permit and allow all legal gun owners to carry concealed.

- See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150407/OPINION01/150409369#sthash.X1mhScCw.dpuf

Any updates? Any guess if this is going to succeed?

Still assigned to committee (which means that the committee hasn't voted on it yet). It isn't listed in the current House Calender yet, so only an "insider" will know the actual status.

Yea, I have no new information regarding the vote status. I will post here and on FB as soon as I have it. A few other members here can see this info when I see it as well so feel free to post if I have not. Since it has not been scheduled for a vote yet, that means you can still call and email.

BTW, I have been told by a committee member that very few women have emailed, it has mainly been men. If you are going to send an email, write it up and send it with your wife/GF's email and in her name. If you have daughters close to the age of 18, have them send an email to the committee. Basically have more females send an email.

Committee email: [email protected]

Always include your name and address. And always address the committee members. I typically start out with "Honorable members of the House Criminal Justice and Public Safety Committee." Yes it is "sucking up" to them, especially considering some are not really "honorable," but in order to win the game you have to play the game, so play it right.

Also, keep it short and to the point. Brevity is more helpful at this point.

Last edited:
Ok, so I do have some news. Kinda. This is in the calendar:

Thursday , April 9
CRIMINAL JUSTICE AND PUBLIC SAFETY, Room 204, LOB
10:00 a.m. SB 236-FN, relative to alcohol ignition interlock requirements.
11:00 a.m. SB 53, repealing the interagency coordinating council for women offenders and transferring
certain members and duties to the interbranch criminal and juvenile justice council.
Executive session on all pending legislation may follow.

So it might be up for a committee vote on Thursday.

That statement typically does not show up in the calendar, I suspect something is up with a vote on Thursday.

PASSED COMMITTEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UI9mzE7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom