Nh carry questions.

hey guys I had a few quetions about open carry and I could not find any answers on the fourms. So I am a mass resident but I have a 9mm at my uncles house that he got for me. I am 19 with a FID not a LTC in mass. am I allowed to open carry in nh? and if I get stopped on the street with my gun and the officer asks where I am from, if I tell him mass will their be a problem? I just want to remain fully legal if I am going to open carry thanks in advance guys.

New Hampshire has no minimum age for open carry; law is simple here, and doesn't discriminate on residency, read RSA 159:4.

I see the state updated the rules for non-resident permits a few weeks ago.

I can't imagine they get many (if any) non-residents applicants who are under 18. I guess since the applicable RSA simply says that you must be "a suitable applicant to be licensed", yet doesn't describe what a 'suitable applicant' is, that it is left to the issuing authority to determine, and they have determined that being under 18 means you are not? That is pretty crappy, and could bring up some issues (though I don't anticipate) that I hadn't realized before.

Section 159:6 License to Carry.

But yes, anyone not prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm can open carry any lawful firearm in NH, as far as I am aware.

I can't imagine they get many (if any) non-residents applicants who are under 18. I guess since the applicable RSA simply says that you must be "a suitable applicant to be licensed", yet doesn't describe what a 'suitable applicant' is, that it is left to the issuing authority to determine, and they have determined that being under 18 means you are not? That is pretty crappy, and could bring up some issues (though I don't anticipate) that I hadn't realized before.
The other limitation making underage non-resident applicantions rare is they need an LTC from their home state, or a "A letter from the resident’s local police department signed by an authorized representative... "; either of which would be tough to get as a youngster.

New Hampshire has no minimum age for open carry; law is simple here, and doesn't discriminate on residency, read RSA 159:4.

I see the state updated the rules for non-resident permits a few weeks ago.

Non-resident licenses are for concealed carry only. Open carry isn't licensed.

Be that as it may, I have no idea how this plays out when the carrier is a minor.

The other snag, of course, would be any vehicular carry. Vehicular carry is considered concealed carry, FWIW, so long as the gun is actually loaded.

And the REALLY big snag is that, while LEGAL in most of New Hampshire it's not common. Which makes it not smart in most of New Hampshire. Why annoy people and generate bad publicity for our cause? Especially as a non-resident. In my opinion, you're just ASKing for the cops to hassle you.

And the REALLY big snag is that, while LEGAL in most of New Hampshire it's not common. Which makes it not smart in most of New Hampshire. Why annoy people and generate bad publicity for our cause? Especially as a non-resident. In my opinion, you're just ASKing for the cops to hassle you.

What a load of crap.

Someones discomfort does not supersede your inalienable right. Multiple courts have ruled on this very question and the NH Atty Gen has published guidelines for Law Enforcement.
Resident or non, he/she has a right to open carry. Most cops aren't interested in someone with a sidearm in plain view.

hey guys I had a few quetions about open carry and I could not find any answers on the fourms. So I am a mass resident but I have a 9mm at my uncles house that he got for me. I am 19 with a FID not a LTC in mass. am I allowed to open carry in nh? and if I get stopped on the street with my gun and the officer asks where I am from, if I tell him mass will their be a problem? I just want to remain fully legal if I am going to open carry thanks in advance guys.

One piece of advice though, watch out for motor vehicles. Even though OC is legal in NH without a P/R license, without that license you are screwed if you touch an MV with a loaded handgun on you. You must clear the gun before getting into a motor vehicle.

Everyone forgets this. It's pretty much the only common way any non-criminal can get jammed up in NH on the gun laws there.

-Mike

It is legal in all of NH except for courts (and federal buildings/property which is few). The fact that some businesses may not allow firearms is completely separate from the state. I and a couple others were open carrying in PORTSMOUTH. In Market Square, then walked to Prescott Park. AKA Moonbat central. No cops were called. They did show up, but for a different reason (to bag someone for an open container in public). The came over, introduced them selves and were VERY supportive of us open carrying. One of them even had an FFL.

I've also open carried in Manchester. I walked right by city hall in broad daylight. No cops were called.

One piece of advice though, watch out for motor vehicles. Even though OC is legal in NH without a P/R license, without that license you are screwed if you touch an MV with a loaded handgun on you. You must clear the gun before getting into a motor vehicle.

Everyone forgets this. It's pretty much the only common way any non-criminal can get jammed up in NH on the gun laws there.

-Mike

The cool thing is though, you are not a PP for violating the conceal carry law for the first offense. It is only a misdemeanor.

159:4 Carrying Without License. – No person shall carry a loaded pistol or revolver in any vehicle or concealed upon his person, except in his dwelling, house or place of business, without a valid license therefor as hereinafter provided. A loaded pistol or revolver shall include any pistol or revolver with a magazine, cylinder, chamber or clip in which there are loaded cartridges. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall, for the first such offense, be guilty of a misdemeanor. For the second and for each subsequent violation of the provisions of this section, such person shall be guilty of a class B felony, provided such second or subsequent violation has occurred within 7 years of the previous conviction.

NOTE: NHSC clarified the definition of "loaded" to mean a chamber with a round in it and/or a magazine with loaded rounds inserted into the pistol.

What a load of crap.

Someones discomfort does not supersede your inalienable right....

Here we go again.

Because it's your "right" it doesn't make it smart, and it doesn't means it helps our cause.

Now YOU say: "It helps our cause to make people get used to seeing guns in public and not freaking out. Left unexercised, we can lose our rights."

And I say: "Not really, because that whole process involves people freaking out UNTIL they get used to it, and THAT doesn't help our cause."

And then YOU say: ... (etc)...

We've all had this discussion before, I'm sure. We should have a number for it. Tell OP: See NES FAQ item #23.

Most cops aren't interested in someone with a sidearm in plain view.

Well, I don't really know what "most cops" are interested in -- Remember, "most cops" aren't "gun people" either.

And I say: "Not really, because that whole process involves people freaking out UNTIL they get used to it, and THAT doesn't help our cause."

I might agree with this in some places but in NH it's actually working. 10 years ago certain PDs would freak out, "detain" people who were openly carrying guns, etc. Now they just ping you, possibly maybe run your ID (if you let them) and more or less go on their way, assuming they care about you OCing at all. A lot of people I know who OC in NH have never had the police called on them. Hmm, must be a reason for that. [thinking] It might have something to do with the fact that less people freak out about it than you would think.

-Mike

Here we go again.

[/COLOR]

It really isn't going anywhere but you seem set on debating yourself for some odd reason. Open carry, don't open carry. Do what suits yourself man. People get freaked out when they see a gun. You get freaked out when you think it doesn't 'help our cause'. Cool. It's whatever. Life usually involves lots of things that happen that people don't think, or think differently about. That's reality.

Even if open carry was accepted and wide spread, it STILL wouldn't change my opinion that it's a stupid way to attract attention to yourself, and not worth giving up the advantages concealed offers.

Just wanted to point out that you made an error in your OP. The pistol at your uncle's house is his. You may use it while you are there, but it belongs to him. Now, if when you someday become a NH resident, he can give it to you. Or, when you get your LTC in MA, he can bring it to a MA dealer and have it transferred to you. I know that is what you meant though.

Him purchasing a pistol for your would be considered a straw purchase (federal crime) Transfering it to you as an out of state resident, a federal crime as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

-Mike

I'm pretty sure this applies to ATV's and sleds as well.......................

I open carry 90% of the time in CT and NH. I've never been stopped, never had anyone freak out.

I do however meet a lot of people who like guns and a lot more people than you would think walk up and ask how to get their permit.

Even if open carry was accepted and wide spread, it STILL wouldn't change my opinion that it's a stupid way to attract attention to yourself, and not worth giving up the advantages concealed offers.

You should absolutely make the decisions that make sense to you.

Other people beg to differ and are taking some risks by open carrying to help all of us preserve our freedoms.

And no, I do not open carry at this time for reasons that are good to me.

To each its own... the essence of freedom.

I might agree with this in some places but in NH it's actually working. 10 years ago certain PDs would freak out, "detain" people who were openly carrying guns, etc. Now they just ping you, possibly maybe run your ID (if you let them) and more or less go on their way, assuming they care about you OCing at all. A lot of people I know who OC in NH have never had the police called on them. Hmm, must be a reason for that. [thinking] It might have something to do with the fact that less people freak out about it than you would think.

-Mike
+1

I have not found a concealable holster that is comfortable on me so while I do have a CC permit, I don't actively carry concealed. I effectively open carry all the time while in NH, ME or VT.

-Mike

I was with another open carrying in Portsmouth, in Market Square outside of Starbucks. Police approached us, said hello and then said thanks for OCing, had a little gun talk and they were on their way.

Not once were we asked for ID.

I do not know why some get all hung up over open carry or concealed carry. Everyday, I simply carry. I do not care if it so called open or not. I get dressed, put the holster/pistol on my belt and go. Yes, I have a P&R License (why wouldn't you for $10), so I really do not care if it is covered, hanging out in the open or whatever.

If there truly was a report that the gun was being waved around, and they determined it never left his holster, the person who called that report in should be charged.

The disorderly charge may stand, if he was yelling and swearing, but he is absolutely correct. That he was open carrying should have had nothing to do with it.

Hard to know what actually happened when you have two sides to the story that totally contradict each other. I do wonder if him open carrying was actually the reason for the call in the first place...if so, that clinic may be the one who ends up on the wrong side of things.

If there truly was a report that the gun was being waved around, and they determined it never left his holster, the person who called that report in should be charged.

The disorderly charge may stand, if he was yelling and swearing, but he is absolutely correct. That he was open carrying should have had nothing to do with it.

Hard to know what actually happened when you have two sides to the story that totally contradict each other. I do wonder if him open carrying was actually the reason for the call in the first place...if so, that clinic may be the one who ends up on the wrong side of things.

It truly is almost unheard of that anyone making a bogus report of a threat/gun gets charged, never mind convicted of filing a false police report.

I'll bet it was a moonbat calling because the sight of a gun is a "threat" to them.

Back
Top Bottom