NH, VT and New England Laws

I have been reading the VT and NH law sections. I currently live in MA, but recently have been considering a move to either NH or VT. Obviously for more reasons than gun laws. I guess instead of making multiple posts in VT and NH forums, I would do one post here. I currently have CCW here in MA, but would like to know about a couple things for other states. I know NH and VT are much more free. I know VT you don't need anything to carry concealed. Not sure about NH. What is the law in each of those states about "pre-bans" such as an M4 with telescoping stock? Do you have to buy pre-ban, or is it one of the states that you can still buy that stuff new, and don't have to pay extra for preban? I would love to buy a new Carbine with 14.5 or 16" barrel, suppresor, telescoping stock, etc. But here, pre bans are getting pricey. In other states, I am not sure if you can buy that new or if they also conform to the "you need to have preban" crap as well. Also, I thought I read in another post about setting up a personal range in the back yard. I would buy enough land that I could do this, provided law allowed. But then, I though I read something about being able to use a "suppressor" for noice in NH? Is this true? You can actually use a silencer in NH? Is that for any weapon? What are the laws on that in VT? Thanks guys.

Try seperating your questions with spaces, it helps people read.

I have been reading the VT and NH law sections. I currently live in MA, but recently have been considering a move to either NH or VT. Obviously for more reasons than gun laws. I guess instead of making multiple posts in VT and NH forums, I would do one post here. I currently have CCW here in MA, but would like to know about a couple things for other states. I know NH and VT are much more free. I know VT you don't need anything to carry concealed. Not sure about NH.

NH requires a pistol/revolver license for concealed carry only.

What is the law in each of those states about "pre-bans" such as an M4 with telescoping stock? Do you have to buy pre-ban, or is it one of the states that you can still buy that stuff new, and don't have to pay extra for preban? I would love to buy a new Carbine with 14.5 or 16" barrel, suppresor, telescoping stock, etc. But here, pre bans are getting pricey. In other states, I am not sure if you can buy that new or if they also conform to the "you need to have preban" crap as well.

NH and VT do not have an assault weapons ban. You can buy all the no-ban rifles you want. Note that a 14.5 inch barrel would make the rifle a short-barreled rifle under FEDERAL law and you would need CLEO signoff and some sort of federal excise tax

Also, I thought I read in another post about setting up a personal range in the back yard. I would buy enough land that I could do this, provided law allowed. But then, I though I read something about being able to use a "suppressor" for noice in NH? Is this true? You can actually use a silencer in NH? Is that for any weapon? What are the laws on that in VT? Thanks guys.

You need to have a certain BATFE form signed off by your CLEO, if I'm not mistaken, but it is possible to get one. I don't know the mechanics of doing so.

As far as NH goes, a Pistol and Revolver License is "shall issue," costs $10, is good for at least 4 years, and must, by law, be in your hands (unless denied) in 14 days. You drop off you application at the local Police station. No muss, no fuss. The longest mine has ever taken is 5 days. Personal best is 4.

You can own anything here Uncle Sam will let you own (i.e. all Class III including suppressors). Normal NFA hoop-jumping applies, but no State-added hurdles. "Pre-ban" and "post-ban" are meaningless terms here, except in the context of returning to MA to shoot a match.

As far as shooting on your own land, those ordinances vary by location, but I've yet to hear of one that was restrictive if your lot can accommodate it (i.e. not too many legal backyard shooting ranges in Manchester. Couple of illegal ones, though...), but they could be out there, so best to check with the city you're looking at.

But then, I though I read something about being able to use a "suppressor" for noice in NH? Is this true? You can actually use a silencer in NH? Is that for any weapon? What are the laws on that in VT? Thanks guys.

You can use a suppressor in NH, you can't in VT (Fish & Game regulation*). Obtaining a suppressor is under NFA. Your CLEO will need to sign off on it unless you go a trust route. I plan on going the suppressor route for my HD gun and an AR-15 once I decide calibers, etc.

* Is this regulation against possession, use for hunting, or use at all? What are the F&G reasonings behind it?

Laws

Thanks for the replies guys, and sorry, I will space out questions for easier reading.

So as far as supressors, they are legal in NH, but need to get CLEO permission if I understand the explanation. What is CLEO (Hope that doesn't sound too stupid)

Good news to hear about the No ban weapons thing in both states. Plus I would imagine that you can buy all kinds of guns new that cannot be bought in MA.

I shouldn't have any trouble getting hand or long gun permits up there if I have had a ccw here correct? Thanks.

Also, what is law about doing full auto? Possibly when I do the 22 cal conversion on AR. Is this just completely illeagal in VT and NH?

The silencer law in VT is against possession, to the best of my knowledge.

State law, based on Fish and Game need. Small trade off, IMNSHO for having no CCW permit requirement.

If they were legal, too many deer "jackers" ("poachers for you Southern folks") would be using them, and the Fish Cops (Game Wardens) wouldn't get as many calls from tipsters. Or so we're told.

Fire a high power rifle after dark up here, and the Fish Cops are liable to get a call.

Oddly enough, Night Scopes are still legal.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/26thedition/index.htm

4010. Gun silencers. A person who manufactures, sells or uses or possesses with intent
to sell or use, an appliance known as or used for a gun silencer shall be fined $25.00 for each offense. The provisions of this section shall not prevent the use or possession of gun silencers for military purposes when so used or possessed under proper military authority and restriction.

Also, what is law about doing full auto? Possibly when I do the 22 cal conversion on AR. Is this just completely illeagal in VT and NH?

VT law doesn't restrict NFA '34 stuff, except the silencers.

You must abide by ALL Federal laws anyways. No new MG's are goingto ever be registered, so if it isn't already registered per NFA '34, you're out of luck. That's Federal law, BTW.

So as far as suppressors, they are legal in NH, but need to get CLEO permission if I understand the explanation. What is CLEO (Hope that doesn't sound too stupid)
Not stupid, but it's clear you're not familiar with the requirement of acquiring or owning weapons covered by the National Firearms Act (NFA), such as SBR's, automatic weapons, or suppressors. You need to do a fair amount of research on that first. There's a quick primer here:, but you owe it to yourself to do some reading.

I shouldn't have any trouble getting hand or long gun permits up there if I have had a ccw here correct? Thanks.
Correct. If you had an LTC in MA, I can't think of a reason why you'd be denied a NH P&RL.

So as far as supressors, they are legal in NH, but need to get CLEO permission if I understand the explanation. What is CLEO (Hope that doesn't sound too stupid)

CLEO = Chief Law Enforcement Officer

No permits needed to posses or open carry in either states. A permit is needed to CCW in NH. Unless you are a felon there is no reason to not be issued a NH permit.

If you had a receiver that was registered as a FA... or if you paid the for a tax stamp to buy one for a ridiculous amount of money (probably around 10k), you could do a a full auto. Again it needs CLEO sign off to get the tax stamp.

I wouldn't use any off the shelf conversion kits on a 22 cal ar conversion kit. I doubt they could cycle properly in a FA mode, even a 3 rnd. selective fire mode.

Thanks again for the info. I will do some reading on that link you sent me. I am for sure, not up to speed on a lot of the laws, and probably should be. Interesting that you can carry open with no permit in NH, but to carry concealed, you need license. In MA, they onlywant concealed carry it seems.

So by that rational, If I moved to NH and wanted to carry open, I would never have to apply or register anything to purchase a firearm at all, just go to the store with MY NH Driver license and purchase, correct?

So by that rational, If I moved to NH and wanted to carry open, I would never have to apply or register anything to purchase a firearm at all, just go to the store with MY NH Driver license and purchase, correct?

That's basically correct...however depending where you are living you may find your self troubled by police who get complaints of someone carrying a gun. Even though it is legal if they get a complaint they still have to investigate.

Also, places may not let you in if you are open carrying. Like for example the Rockingham Mall in S. NH. They have big signs saying 'No guns, legal included." It kind of makes me want to go up to a LEO I find in there and inform them they are not allowed to have their side arm in there. as the sign says 'no guns legal included.'

HOWEVER being in a car with a loaded gun is considered CONCEALED carry, so that means you need a permit if it's loaded and in the car with you.

If you guys had to guess, in NH, about how much acreage would you say one would need to shoot in their backyard? Provided they are not right next to another house, but have a house set back, what would you think (key word being think), would be the safe amount of land so people would not hassle or complain? Maybe 2+ Acres?

Also, places may not let you in if you are open carrying. Like for example the Rockingham Mall in S. NH. They have big signs saying 'No guns, legal included." It kind of makes me want to go up to a LEO I find in there and inform them they are not allowed to have their side arm in there. as the sign says 'no guns legal included.'

Been there and more times than I have fingers and toes. Oopsie. [laugh]

If you guys had to guess, in NH, about how much acreage would you say one would need to shoot in their backyard? Provided they are not right next to another house, but have a house set back, what would you think (key word being think), would be the safe amount of land so people would not hassle or complain? Maybe 2+ Acres?

It may vary from town to town depending on their noise ordinances... suppressors don't kill all of the sound. I believe you need permission of owners of any structure within 300 ft of where you are shooting. I'd highly recommend having it in writing not just verbal.

Since you sound like you are buying discuss it with your realtor or find a realtor who is gun friendly and/or somewhat knowledgeable. If you find one let me know too... Since I'll be going realtor hunting soon.

If you open carry in NH unload your gun when it's in your vehicle. In VT, shotguns and rifles can't be loaded in a vehicle (but handguns can). Silencers are illegal in VT but as was stated, all other NFA stuff is fine if you follow the federal laws.

I actually have the same question as OP. I'm leaning towards NH simply because it's closer, and I'm not looking to move permanently. Maybe just setup an RV for a couple of weeks in summer. I know some info has been posted on here regarding shooting in the backyard, but I was born and raised in mass. I'm stuck with the mentality that just because something is legal doesn't make it "suitable."

If one had 5+ acres in a relatively secluded area, would there be any problem with backyard shooting? A mosin nagant will definitely be heard by neighbors, I'm just not sure if that's a problem up in free land. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but us mass residents can't even carry an umbrella in a mall without the swat being called [sad].

As far as people hassling you because they hear gunshots, one way to gauge whether that might be an issue is to do your house shopping on weekend afternoons. If you hear shots popping off at intervals, you know things are good. I'm pretty sure I have at least one neighbor with a full auto judging by mag dumps in the distance on Sunday afternoons.

Look for a neighborhood where there is an active firearms range. Along with published range locations, if you scout around (Best seems to be Bing Maps "Birds Eye View") you can find outdoor ranges by the telltale signs. You could also download the list of FFLs from BATFE and plot them on google maps.

If you guys had to guess, in NH, about how much acreage would you say one would need to shoot in their backyard? ... Maybe 2+ Acres?
If buying, you may want 11+ acres to qualify for the "Current Use" tax break, also helps ensure nobody builds a house within 300 feet of your benchrest.

I know some info has been posted on here regarding shooting in the backyard, but I was born and raised in mass. I'm stuck with the mentality that just because something is legal doesn't make it "suitable."

If one had 5+ acres in a relatively secluded area, would there be any problem with backyard shooting? A mosin nagant will definitely be heard by neighbors, I'm just not sure if that's a problem up in free land.

IMHO, it's less about total acres than about topology, a good backstop, and distance to the neighbors homes. If your land is not inside the "compact area" of a town, and at least 300 feet from a neighbors house, not only can you shoot on your land, and your town cannot use a "noise" law to stop you..

But honestly, once you get clear of the congested areas near the border with MA, I doubt you will find much to worry about. The second house I looked at (in Lyndeborough), the owner had a bank of floodlights above the back deck so he could keep shooting skeet after sunset.

Back
Top Bottom