• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NJ bill aims to ban all handgun, some rifle ammo

As long as a handgun exists that shoots a particular caliber of rifle ammunition, New Jersey treats that ammunition as if it were handgun ammunition.

So I take that to mean that any rifle caliber ever chambered in a Contender will be classified and banned as "handgun" ammo.

The bills would also “criminalize the use of a defaced or stolen firearm,” which would again, through vague and ill-defined language, deceptively restrict the lawful ownership of virtually any modified or restored firearm.

Does this mean that NJ doesn't already have laws regarding STOLEN firearms, or guns with defaced serial numbers on the books ???

And does this also mean that it'll be illegal to have a gun reblued, nickeled or Cerrakoted if it alters the original finish???

What a bunch of dumbasses that write these retarded bills.

[banghead]

How come NJ is so stuck on ammunition being the problem? I mean, it's all lunacy and MA certainly isn't any better, but isn't NJ the place where hollow points are banned?

How come NJ is so stuck on ammunition being the problem? I mean, it's all lunacy and MA certainly isn't any better, but isn't NJ the place where hollow points are banned?

Hollow points are not banned and are perfectly legal You only go to jail if you use them in the commission of a felony!

They are illegal for mere civilians to carry in NJ, of course very few civilians can carry anyway. But you can buy a Kimber.
Exactly. It's so close to impossible to get a carry permit at all, the restriction on carrying hollowpoints is kind of a blip on the "problem radar."

I know I shouldn't analyze the "logic" behind anti-gun legislation, but wouldn't having people carry hollow points make more sense since they are more likely to stay in the target? Aren't FMJ rounds more likely to pass through a target and hit other people and objects?

Wrong. Possesion of hollow point ammunition is a felony in NJ unless you are a police officer.

Wrong.
(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

There are other exceptions as well. See:
http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

Here's the full text of the bill.

It appears to be aimed primarily at SS190AP ammunition for the FN Five-Seven. I think that this ammunition may not be available to the public anyway. What's particularly concerning about this bill is that it appears to give the NJ AG wide latitude to determine which ammunition is 'dangerous to police'.

I suspect the NJ is no different than MA. The ratio of bills proposed to those actually enacted is probably like 500:1

It's a pretty stupid law considering that AP handgun ammo is more or less banned by federal law, at least for sale by FFL's.

All of the companies that sell AP pistol ammo in the US have very STRICT regulations on it, too. There is no "pop a badge and get a box of SS190". Doesn't work that way.

-Mike

If the proposed law says anything about limiting, banning, restricting or "at the AG's discretion", it will pass and Christie will sign it. Those pesky citizens are getting uppity and think they have rights and need to be put in their place.

Back
Top Bottom