NJ "Gun Nut"

Maplewood NJ gun owner campaigns for firearms

Don't disarm people during crisis, he says

Tuesday, August 29, 2006
By PHILIP READ

STAR-LEDGER STAFF

There are 23,000 residents in Maplewood but just 18 registered firearms.

Five of them belong to one man.

Meet Matt Carmel. In a town where Republicans are rarities and the counter-culture is mainstream, Carmel is the oddest of political ducks: A champion for the National Rifle Association.

"I'm not a gun nut,'' Carmel said. "I'm just a nice Jewish boy from Westchester.''
Still, he is probably the only guy in town who is trying to get the mayor, Fred Profeta, to sign a pledge saying he would never confiscate guns during a time of disaster.

It's part of the NRA's "sign the pledge'' campaign, something that grew out of the aftermath of Katrina, when authorities seized citizens' guns to help contain posthurricane looting and civil unrest.

The campaign, which the NRA says is an attempt to buttress the Second Amendment right to bear arms, is aimed at mayors and police chiefs across the nation. And while that might not turn heads in Peoria or Houston, it's a little bit unusual in a place known for its liberal leanings and short train ride to Manhattan, not for the strength of its gun lobby.

In fact, Carmel couldn't even get the mayor's attention at first. Carmel went to Profeta's office, called him at home, made it clear he wouldn't go away without an answer. Eventually he got it: No.

"It's superfluous,'' Profeta said. "I'm already pledged to support the Constitution, and the Second Amendment is part of that.''

There's also the matter of interpretation, Profeta said, especially the role of a "well-regulated militia'' as the predicate for an individual's right to bear arms.

"The interpretation I put on the Second Amendment is the one favored by the state and federal courts,'' said Profeta, who is also a lawyer. "I'm sure that the NRA is at odds with that interpretation, which is also in accord with my personal beliefs.''

Profeta isn't the only opponent of the pledge. The International Association of Chiefs of Police has branded it "insulting'' and a "disservice'' to law-enforcers.

The IACP also called the NRA campaign a front to conceal a "reckless'' legislative agenda that would make it harder to trace illegal gun traffickers and would eliminate restrictions on interstate gun sales.

As for the NRA, it couldn't come up with any mayors who signed the pledge, and the campaign apparently escaped the notice of the New Jersey Conference of Mayors. "Believe me, I would know if they were after us,'' said Donald Fauerbach, the executive director.

Still, Carmel is not the kind of person who minds swimming upstream.

When he got fed up by a local anti-war group – South Mountain Peace Action's "Be About Peace'' lawn signs are ubiquitous in Maplewood and South Orange – he started his own Web site.

It's called beaboutfreedom.com. There, he sells signs like the one outside his house with the boldfaced slogan "Be About Freedom.''

As a full-time job, he owns another Web site, a safety research service he runs out of his home called oshadata.com.

Carmel – a motorcycle-riding, mountain-climbing sea-salt who captains sailboat charters that aren't for the "faint of heart'' – is passionate about safety, his own and the nation's.

He insists his hobbies aren't dangerous, as long as the risks are managed properly. He keeps his handguns locked up in a biometric safe that can only be opened with his fingerprints. On his sailboat, he has redundant navigation systems. When he rides his Suzuki Bandit, he wears highly protective yellow gear.

"I look like a banana when I ride a motorcycle,'' he said.

But he says his guns are his ultimate safety net. And he says the chaos after a natural disaster like Katrina – or the threat of a 9/ 11-style unnatural disaster – are just two reminders of why they're necessary.

Folks... this is the People's Democratik Republik of New Jersey we're talking about here. You think we have it bad? No way, Jose... How would you like to go down to the police station and pay $25 EACH TIME YOU WANT A HANDGUN for a PURCHASE PERMIT? And wait 4-6 weeks to boot? For a permit that's only good for 30 days?

That's what you have to do in NJ... and suffer smart-aleck comments about building an arsenal when you apply for your second purchase permit in one year. That's the kind of crap I got out of the Fair Lawn PD when I went for my permit for my Ruger Mk1. [rolleyes]

Go, Matt Carmel, GO!!! [bow] Keep fighting the good fight!

Permits are only three dollars. The NIC check per gun is twenty five. That's pass or fail, pay up. If Fairlawn was getting twenty five per permit, they rally had a nice deal. We never charged for ourt permits. Gave them away for free to the residents.

The permits are good for 90 days with a 90 day extention unless they changed it recently.

It's been almost 20 years since I lived in NJ; things may have changed or my memory may be slipping. But I do remember paying $$ for each friggin' permit... [rolleyes] And getting a ration of sh*t about building an arsenal. It was my second handgun, for G-d'ssake!

Arg... getting my BP up over a place I'll NEVER live again. Not worth it.

I would get a few a year. I would have bought more but there was no place local to shoot anything larger than a 40S&W. No place at all for rifle except 22lr within a 90 minute drive.

We had one local doctor who must have owned at least seventy five handguns. When he died the family asked me to come over and go over the collection as they were going to sell it off. Every gun was unfired or nearly so. He just liked to hang them on the wall.

To thank me, they gave me a unfired Ruger Single Action 357 unfired from the 70's...

Last edited:
I'm so glad I got out of there. Took ages to get my "firearm owners ID card" and handgun purchase permits. The local police weren't too bad about it, just slow.

Since arriving in NH I have been on a spending spree: "evil" guns, hi-cap magazines, hollowpoint ammo, etc etc. [smile]

Back
Top Bottom