NJ sues Las Vegas gun dealer over high-capacity magazine sales to undercover agent

mikeyp

NES Member
New Jersey sues Las Vegas gun dealer over high-capacity magazine sales to undercover agent

The state is suing a Las Vegas gun dealer for allegedly selling six high-capacity magazines — including a 100-round drum magazine for an AR-15 — to an undercover investigator despite knowing the transactions were illegal, the Attorney General's Office said Wednesday.

Gurbir Grewal, the attorney general, filed the three-count complaint this week in state Superior Court in Newark. In it, Grewal alleged the Nevada-based New Frontier Armory broke New Jersey’s Consumer Fraud Act and violated state regulations on illegal products when it sold outlawed magazines of 15, 30 and 100 rounds to state investigators twice in the last 10 months.

On both occasions, investigators bought the banned magazines through the company’s website and picked them up at a New Jersey mailing address, according to the complaint. Grewal sent a cease-and-desist letter between the purchases demanding that the company stop marketing, selling and shipping the products to New Jersey residents. The company acknowledged the letter but apparently disregarded it, leading to the lawsuit.

"We intend to hold New Frontier Armory — and any other companies who engage in similar conduct — fully accountable," Grewal said at a Wednesday news conference in Trenton. "With today's action, we're once again showing this industry, across the country, that we're not afraid to use our civil enforcement authority and all the tools at our disposal."

The state wants New Frontier to immediately stop selling high-capacity magazines to New Jersey residents and give up the money it made through the illegal sales. It is also seeking civil penalties of $10,000 per violation and $20,000 for each subsequent violation.

"We're going to hit them where it hurts, which is their pocketbooks," Grewal said.

Adding the rest, bolding by me

Judge Jodi Lee of Essex County Superior Court on Wednesday ordered New Frontier to temporarily stop selling high-capacity magazines to New Jersey customers. New Frontier cannot sell the magazines on its website or anywhere else to people in the state. The next court date on the matter is scheduled for July 15.

Grewal also wants the company to post a statement on its website telling shoppers that possession of high-capacity magazines is a fourth-degree crime in New Jersey. And he wants New Frontier to hand over five years’ worth of information about which residents bought illegal magazines.

A New Frontier employee who answered the phone Wednesday declined to comment.

New Jersey outlawed magazines of more than 15 rounds about three decades ago. Last summer, Gov. Phil Murphy signed a package of gun control laws that dropped that limit to 10, tightening the state's already-strict firearms rules.

The regulations, taken together, represented a largely Democratic response to a string of high-profile mass shootings that shook the nation in recent years.

The move opens another front in the state’s battle to stem the tide of illegal firearms and accessories flooding New Jersey. Last week, Grewal announced that authorities had, for the first time, charged four suspects with breaking a seven-month-old ban on new-age firearms called “ghost guns,” which manufacturers specifically engineer to skirt regulations and evade detection.

And in March, Grewal sued the founder of a California-based ghost gun company that he said markets the firearms to residents despite the state’s ban.

New Frontier describes itself on its website as a 10-year-old full-service firearms and weapons dealer. The company first sold three illegal 30-round magazines to state investigators last summer, spurring Grewal’s letter, according to the complaint.

The attorney general's investigation found that 27 of the 30 magazines for sale on New Frontier's website hold more than 10 rounds. But the site does not mention the state law banning the products, officials said.

Wait...

If you're a credit card company, you're bound by the laws of the state you're incorporated in, but not the ones where your customers live, right? This is why so many credit card companies are in South Dakota: Their usury laws are super duper lax. That doesn't stop them from giving me a high rate credit card, and our AG doesn't seem to give a shit about that.

But a company in Nevada is subject to the state laws of New Jersey?

The move opens another front in the state’s battle to stem the tide of illegal firearms and accessories flooding New Jersey. Last week, Grewal announced that authorities had, for the first time,.... (blah blah blah)

"flooding New Jersey" Huh....

Hey ... Sandy tried ...

Eastern NJ could use a good flooding; a good bath would be an improvement. Western NJ is nice farming country. I bet they feel about Trenton the way the folks in the MA hill counties feel about Boston ...
Oh, they do. Sussex and Morris Cos. especially.

We do have the Federal judge ordering that mag bans are unconstitutional in CA - maybe there is something there.

There was a case about whether they are selling "in" a state by virtue of a website being available in that state. This one will have to go to SCOTUS we can count on the lower courts not being consistent.

Well, he's going after interstate sales of mags so I definitely do not like his politics, but don't be all "not American because turban" s*** - the guy's Sikh and frankly, if you're worried about bad people coming to the USA, Sikhs should be at the top of the "please come here" list.

Last edited:
Well, he's going after interstate sales of mags so I definitely do not like his politics, but don't be all "not American because turban" s*** - the guy's Sikh and frankly, if you're worried about bad people coming to the USA, Sikhs should be at the top of the "please come here" list.
The whole "our faith demands we be armed to defend the defenseless, we expect our men to be warrior poets, to use songs and poems to bring joy to those who greet us in peace and terror to the hearts of those who would threaten the innocent" is something I can get behind.

Wait...

If you're a credit card company, you're bound by the laws of the state you're incorporated in, but not the ones where your customers live, right? This is why so many credit card companies are in South Dakota: Their usury laws are super duper lax. That doesn't stop them from giving me a high rate credit card, and our AG doesn't seem to give a shit about that.

By streaching the law.

In a typical FOB sale, the sale is complete, and title transfers to the buyer at the point of delivery to the common carrier, not the point of destination. There is a great explaination of FOB here: FOB shipping point

But, there are other scenarios:

- What if the dealer sells the mags to a friend who the dealer has reason to believe will give the mags to you in NJ?

- What if you send a courier to pick up the paid for mags, and the courier is acting as your transportation agent, not the agent of the seller.

If #2 is enough to be legal, there is a market for high cap mag sellers using the UPS call tag service in which the customer pays for, and orders, a pickup of the package from the vendor which the customer owns upon transfer to the man in brown.

The whole "our faith demands we be armed to defend the defenseless, we expect our men to be warrior poets, to use songs and poems to bring joy to those who greet us in peace and terror to the hearts of those who would threaten the innocent" is something I can get behind.

If they applied that philosophy to non-Sikhs. But what's good for the Sikh apparently isn't what's good for the NATIVE BORN member of the founding stock of New Jersey.

And again, why does the right feel the need to bend over backwards to prove their "I'm not a racist" bona fides?

This isn't about him being an Indian. Which, BTW, are classified as caucasian. [Interesting. The spell check is telling me this is spelled wrong. NOPE!]

It's about WHERE IS THE GODDAM VALUE ADD to him joining in the melting pot? Look what this guy is doing. Do you think he cares about this country or its laws and traditions?
HELL NO! He's subverting you and you drag out the "Not All" defense.

How about we just close down ALL immigration until we can have a group of applicants prove their worth? Like in the before times when my grandfather came over in 1921 and had to live and work here, and prove that he was worthy of becoming an American, for SIX YEARS before he could bring over his wife and four children?

You do realize the guy was born here and isn't an immigrant?
And again, why does the right feel the need to bend over backwards to prove their "I'm not a racist" bona fides?

This isn't about him being an Indian. Which, BTW, are classified as caucasian. [Interesting. The spell check is telling me this is spelled wrong. NOPE!]

It's about WHERE IS THE GODDAM VALUE ADD to him joining in the melting pot? Look what this guy is doing. Do you think he cares about this country or its laws and traditions?
HELL NO! He's subverting you and you drag out the "Not All" defense.

How about we just close down ALL immigration until we can have a group of applicants prove their worth? Like in the before times when my grandfather came over in 1921 and had to live and work here, and prove that he was worthy of becoming an American, for SIX YEARS before he could bring over his wife and four children?

There is no such thing as a "high capacity magazine" How many standard size mags are in possession by people in the US? Millions? Billions? How are these devices the problem? They lack any real intestinal fortitude to do the real thing and call out the criminals for what they are.

When a drunk driver kills someone they sure as hell get all the blame (Rightfully so), not the car, not the producer of alcohol, not the alcohol, etc...
So, in a crime where a gun is used, the GUN gets the blame. But, anything else the person gets the blame, fault or what ever you want to call it. HOW the f*** that does that make any sense.

Last edited:
Wait...

But you can't kill someone with a credit card. . . . well maybe if you sharpened the edge on some sandpaper and went all John Wick or some'pin.

"flooding New Jersey" Huh....

The only thing flooding Jersey is these jamokes:

JS_S5_1920x540.jpg

About 15 years ago, I was driving back from GA on 95 in Jersey. Some truck rear-ended some dude's car in tough traffic. Stuff happens. The d-bag gets out of his car looking like these tools and acting like an extra on duhSopranoze. I couldn't believe that was reality for some people. ROFL!

Those politics are NJ-grown, not imported. NJ was like that loooong before this guy's family got there (and frankly before yours got to the USA, too). If anything, what happened here IS magic dirt - NJ took a person whose religion is about self-reliance and defending those unable to defend themselves and grew him from birth into a pro-disarmament mouthpiece.

I have a few New Frontier Armory products. They do a pretty nice job on them, and they're reasonably affordable. Their president also passed away a few months ago.

Those politics are NJ-grown, not imported. NJ was like that loooong before this guy's family got there (and frankly before yours got to the USA, too). If anything, what happened here IS magic dirt - NJ took a person whose religion is about self-reliance and defending those unable to defend themselves and grew him from birth into a pro-disarmament mouthpiece.

It isn't magic dirt. It's a persuasive minority that has an agenda, and they are able to convince idiots to actively support policies that are diametrically opposed to their own basic human right to self-defense.

It isn't magic dirt. It's a persuasive minority that has an agenda, and they are able to convince idiots to actively support policies that are diametrically opposed to their own basic human right to self-defense.

You would think their self-destruction is assured and lead to their extinction, which appears to be over due.

I'd put Sikhs lower down the list but they're nowhere close to the bottom, that's for sure.

Nevertheless it's not a good look for obviously recent-ish immigrants to be openly attacking the Bill Of Rights.

You do realize the guy was born here and isn't an immigrant?

We're 54 years into the great replacement. Plenty of time for 2nd generation replacers to appear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom