• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

No victim, no crime? Right NES?

What are your thoughts on regulation of home shooting ranges

• This is completely acceptable, action should only be taken once there is a victim

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • There should be zoning/building regulations when it comes to home shooting ranges

Votes: 22 38.6%
  • People should only use designated shooting ranges (just leave NES now)

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
My family owned a ton of acreage in eastern Mass.

From the 1940's to the 1980's, we had a shooting range that was used by us, as well as friends and relatives.

I probably shot there a few hundred times, and NEVER had a neighbor complain or see any law enforcement.

Could never do that now.

My family owned a ton of acreage in eastern Mass.

From the 1940's to the 1980's, we had a shooting range that was used by us, as well as friends and relatives.

I probably shot there a few hundred times, and NEVER had a neighbor complain or see any law enforcement.

Could never do that now.

might get complaints but you could certainly still do it

So of those of you who have no issue with this until someone gets shot, would you be completely cool with that guy having that setup facing your house?

Mike

That's why I don't live in the burbs with the sheep that look toward the .gov for protection.

Looks like the situation was taken care of without running to tell daddy.

Mike I'd say you're along the lines of a 7 or 8 on the scale. [wink]

Problem is, one, that's not a backstop, and two, there is a victim.

If he built a backstop that would provide sufficient protection for the property beyond, and dealt with the noise in some manner, there would be no victim, but since he chose to do it this way, the neighbors beyond can no longer be out and about on their own property without significant risk of being injured.

I don't care for the government to get involved. Would be nice if a neighbor or friend schooled him a little on how to improve the backstop. From what I can see, my main concern would be that if he's not hitting his shots 'center mass' the backstop would fail as it is so small. Maybe an 8'x8' "container" about 2' deep with sand would be a little more appropriate. But I'm no backstop expert. Seems to me I have seen something like what I am trying to describe.

might get complaints but you could certainly still do it

Behind my old place we'd do all sorts of stuff, mag dumps with ARs, low light shooting, etc. Cops showed up once, asked if it was us, and left. This was in MA about 5 minutes from UMass. We also were shooting into the side of a pretty steep hill.

Mike

I love freedom. I love the freedom to do what you want on your own property.
DO I believe this is irresponsible? Yup.
But, maybe the community could express their concerns and maybe help pitch in to build a proper backstop. A little neighborly give and take would be the order of the day me thinks.

and i guess it got solved w o gubmint interference. Good for everyone!

Last edited:
Problem is, one, that's not a backstop, and two, there is a victim.

If he built a backstop that would provide sufficient protection for the property beyond, and dealt with the noise in some manner, there would be no victim, but since he chose to do it this way, the neighbors beyond can no longer be out and about on their own property without significant risk of being injured.

You must be a bad shot. [grin] It's pretty hard to miss the backstop he built.

The answer probably lies somewhere in between the first two choices. The first choice if you have enough land; the second if you have very limited land.

C'mon now. I've never been to an NES car shoot, but I've seen the comments here.[laugh]

I'm thinking of things like a slam fire when chambering a round or other mechanical or ammo related failures.

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon now. I've never been to an NES car shoot, but I've seen the comments here.[laugh]

I'm thinking of things like a slam fire when chambering a round or other mechanical or ammo related failures.

Two words, "Muzzle discipline" [grin]

if you are following the simple rules of gun safety those failures won't be an issue

Laws are not the solution. Allowing the community to handle it is a better idea. You can't legislate personal responsibility not stupidity.

25f504f47d7291d365850be317de9924.jpg

Here we go with the anarchy stuff again.

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't miss that backstop. But if I were teaching my 10 year old grandson I wouldn't want to bet someone else's life on it.

When my father taught my brother, sister and I to shoot it was in the parking lot in front of our house, using the dirt embankment as a back stop. The embankment was about 50 feet long, and perhaps 7 feet high, with the ground sloping upwards for several hundred feet. With a modicum of care, and parental oversight, there was no way that anyone was getting hurt.

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't miss that backstop. But if I were teaching my 10 year old grandson I wouldn't want to bet someone else's life on it.

When my father taught my brother, sister and I to shoot it was in the parking lot in front of our house, using the dirt embankment as a back stop. The embankment was about 50 feet long, and perhaps 7 feet high, with the ground sloping upwards for several hundred feet. With a modicum of care, and parental oversight, there was no way that anyone was getting hurt.

I didn't see anywhere in the article where the guy was teaching 10 years old to shoot at it.

I know a ton of guys in here that would have no problem with me shooting in to a backstop like he had that was facing their house.

I didn't see anywhere in the article where the guy was teaching 10 years old to shoot at it.

This, just because he has a back stop doesn't mean he has a bunch of knuckleheads over blasting away like it is an NES shoot. I shoot in my back yard all the time, but it is typically just my wife and I, and I am not worried about one of us missing the back stop.

Two words, "Muzzle discipline" [grin]

if you are following the simple rules of gun safety those failures won't be an issue

Forgive me if I don't believe that the genius that thought that would be a sufficient backstop in that environment is practicing perfect muzzle discipline. I'm going to go with "Know your target and what's beyond." on this one.

For the record, I live a few doors away from a home pistol range in a neighborhood that is as tight as the one in the article. I have zero issues with it because it is done right. Most people have no idea it is there.

So how does the community handle it, mob rule? Or asking their town to pass a bylaw that stipulates zoning and inspection requirements when it comes to home shooting ranges?

Mike

Burning down his place while he's at work would probably be the most appropriate response.

A new law is not needed here. Some common sense and if such is not to be found, 2x4's... (or matches)

Maybe there is a back story of long term animosity between the sharpshooter and his neighbors. Maybe he is surrounded by Mass retirees and they know he has a gun so they harass him. Maybe he's a flaming a-hole or unstable and simply hates everyone. Maybe the web site with the story (gunfreezone.net. Really??) sensationalized a "nothing" story with lurid descriptions and doctored photos.

Same retarded NES mentality again: you're either an anarchist or a statist, right? Nothing in between is acceptable!

I couldn't care less if you have a few acres and want to shoot on them. When you're shooting into a POS "backstop" that's ten yards from my house, we're gonna have a problem.

Dude, you even got the thread title correct. How did you forgot so quickly that there is a difference between things with victims and without?

Also, your poll sucks. You don't have to think something is acceptable to think there doesn't need to be government involvement and more laws.

This. As a Christian, I'm opposed to prostitution, among a bunch of other things, that I do not want to see banned. Opposition != government involvement.

Same retarded NES mentality again: you're either an anarchist or a statist, right? Nothing in between is acceptable!

I couldn't care less if you have a few acres and want to shoot on them. When you're shooting into a POS "backstop" that's ten yards from my house, we're gonna have a problem.

Absolutely...this is not a yes/no issue. It's somewhere in between. Common sense needs to come from someplace. Am I my brother's keeper? We all have a responsibility not to put our neighbors in harms way. Do what you want but like kalash says...if your sh!t harms me...I will enforce common sense along with anyone else I can get.

Freedom is just that - as long as you are not physically harming someone else. Feelings? Cry me a river, if we have to jump through hoops over feelings then we are truly lost.

It's his property, if he wants to build a range, a three sided, 12 color shed then so be it using 1x3 strapping then so be it.

IF he harms someone or something - then deal with it. I have guns in my house, it's a fair assumption they get loaded from time to time - anyone think a 300 Weatherby Magnum with 180 grain Barnes-X bullets is going to stop in anything less than several feet of dirt? So, while loading the rifle, if I show poor muzzle discipline, and close the bolt and have a slam fire or just pull the trigger with my booger hook that round leaves my house and passes completely though the neighbors house. I'm not at my range, so does that mean no guns in residential areas either?

Back to the range - I wouldn't do it. I have a range in my back yard and intend to extend it to over 100 yards, shooting off my deck. Of course my backstop is a mountain and the target area is a pile of pine logs 6 feet thick and 12 feet wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom