Non resident shooting in MA

I have a cousin who lives over the border in CT. He would like to join my club here in MA. My question is-if he has an LTC in CT, does he need a MA license in order to transport handguns to the range and to shoot his guns at the range? If not, is it possible for him to get a non-resident LTC for MA?

Yes and Yes.

The only exception is if he is competing at a formal competition (best to have a copy of your registration for the event with you). Merely going to the range to shoot is NOT a sufficient reason in Mass.

In addition to ateending a formal competiton, the visitor must posess a firearms license from a state, district or territory that prohibits issuance of such licenses to drug users or felons. And no, being from a state that does not require a license to posess a gun is NOT the same as having a license for the purpose of this law.

In addition to ateending a formal competiton, the visitor must posess a firearms license from a state, district or territory that prohibits issuance of such licenses to drug users or felons. And no, being from a state that does not require a license to posess a gun is NOT the same as having a license for the purpose of this law.
So, did you just say that no one from VT can shoot a match in MA unless he has some OTHER state's carry license?

So, did you just say that no one from VT can shoot a match in MA unless he has some OTHER state's carry license?
A diplomatic passport from a nation with which the US has an immunitiy agreement, or LEO credentials will also suffice.

How in the hell does one get a license when such a thing does not exist in one's home state?

Every time I think Mass laws cannot get more f-ed up, I get schooled......[rolleyes]

Aren't you glad you don't live in Commiechusetts Jose?

FWIW...for anyone that has friends in, for example VT, and they want to come down to shoot at a competition - tell them to print out something from the VT's government page (or State Police - whereever the information is listed) that states a resident does not need a license to own guns in VT.

Just a suggestion. [smile]

How in the hell does one get a license when such a thing does not exist in one's home state?

Every time I think Mass laws cannot get more f-ed up, I get schooled......[rolleyes]

The requirement is "any state, district or territory that prohibits issuance of such permits to drug users or felons." There is no "home state" requirement. NH issues non-resident LTCs with 15 days for (last I checked) $20, and does not impost a "home state" requirement.

Aren't you glad you don't live in Commiechusetts Jose?

FWIW...for anyone that has friends in, for example VT, and they want to come down to shoot at a competition - tell them to print out something from the VT's government page (or State Police - whereever the information is listed) that states a resident does not need a license to own guns in VT.

Just a suggestion. [smile]

That is completely irrelevant, since the law requires that you hold a permit. Nothing in the law states that not needing a permit is the same as having
one. US states recognize drivers licenses from MANY countries. That does not, however, mean that a foreign national may legally drive on US roads if they have no license, but can prove they don't need one to drive in their home country.

Do not make the mistake of assuming thing exist in the law simply because common sense dictates that such provisions should exist.

CAUTION: NH does not do background checks on NR CCW. They rely on the permit you gave them a copy of with your application doing that already. That's why most folks have them in hand almost before the ink is dry on their application form.

Get one in a place like FL that actually takes the time (up to 90 days) to do a background check and then you'd be good to go (plus have ~28 additional states covered, but none in the Northeast).

CAUTION: NH does not do background checks on NR CCW. They rely on the permit you gave them a copy of with your application doing that already. That's why most folks have them in hand almost before the ink is dry on their application form.
NH law states that the permit MUST be issued within 15 days unless the issuing agency can find a statuatory prohibition. It's just the reverse of MA - a record check that does not arrive in a timely manner is assumed in the applicant's favor until proven otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom