Noob question - .357 revolvers

pj150

NES Member
Doing some research on purchasing a revolver. Ive shot both the mid-frame and the air-lites in .357. I like how the mid frame feels but concealment is a big factor. The airlite is certainly easy to conceal but the recoil and the punishment my hand takes a toll after 5 shots.

How is something like the S&W 686 in concealabilty? Would a 2.5" or 3" barrel feel ok in the 4 o'clock position? Also, would a gun shop let me try on a holster with the gun in it while I was at the store?

pj150 said:
Doing some research on purchasing a revolver. Ive shot both the mid-frame and the air-lites in .357. I like how the mid frame feels but concealment is a big factor. The airlite is certainly easy to conceal but the recoil and the punishment my hand takes a toll after 5 shots.

How is something like the S&W 686 in concealabilty? Would a 2.5" or 3" barrel feel ok in the 4 o'clock position? Also, would a gun shop let me try on a holster with the gun in it while I was at the store?

There's quite a range between and Airlite and a 686. You might be able to find something in there that's a better balance for you between low recoil and portability.

A couple of suggestions for revolvers in that range: a steel J frame or a K frame.

A steel J frame (such as a S&W 640) weighs nearly twice as much as an Airlite but is the same size. The weight shouldn't be a factor if it's on your belt and the recoil will be less.

A K frame (such as the S&W 65 or 66) is a little smaller and lighter than the 686. The grip is the same size, the frame is slightly smaller, and there's no lug under the barrel. Weighs about 50% more than a steel J frame. These might be harder to find new than the others.

And lastly, the L frame 686 that you're already looking at. I think it's a little heavier and bigger than ideal but otherwise a fine choice.

If you have a choice between a 2 1/2 or 3 inch barrel, I'd go with the 3 inch. It's just long enough to give you room for a full length ejector rod. That's not a big deal but something to consider if everything else is equal.

As to guns shops letting you carry one around to test, it doesn't hurt to ask. Carl at Four Seasons had no problem with me trying one on.

tucker66.jpg

I carry around a 2.5 inch mod 66 in a Tucker Texas Heritage holster. This is a very comfortable carry system. The Tucker is designed to carry at on slightly behind the hip.

The 66 conceals very well in this type of a rig.

If I could have I'd have gotten the 3 incher but it wasn't available when I got this. I'd think that the 686 would be a little difficult to carry comfortably, unless you got a goot two point holster and a good gunbelt, as it's heavier than the the 66 which weighs in at 36 ounces empty.

As was mentioned earlier, there is a BIG difference between the smaller and larger of those you mentioned.

Concealing any gun depends on the gun, on the holster, your belt, your body shape and on your choice of clothing. A good gunbelt is very necessary to hold the weight of a larger gun.

Whatever gun you get, you will probably go thru several holsters before you find one that works right for you. Take a hint from someone who has probably spent more money on holsters than I have on my handguns, don't buy cheap holsters. You'll buy many before you realize that money could have been spent on a high end one in the first place.

Here's my SW CS45 in a Texas Heritage:

texas.jpg

This is my main carry rig. I like the way it snuggles to me more than the 66. But the 66 still carries well, just not as good as the CS45 - at least for me.

and my J frame SW332 .32 magnum in a Tucker 'coverup'.

332inholster2.jpg

This sometimes goes in a Mka pocket holster.

mika.jpg

As you can tell, I'm a fan of Tucker gunleather.

Thanks. Looks like I have some more research to do. I didn't see those models listed in the S&W site. I guess my best bet would be just to go out and look at them in person.

You won't see the 66 or the 332 on their site. The 66 is a K frame size and all K's were discontinued last year. The 332 was replaced with another model (432?) but I showed you mine because it is a Jframe like many of the current SW offerings.

If you want a K frame you'll either have to buy used or find someone who still has some left over stock on hand.

Good luck.

From Four Seasons.

Smith & Wesson RECENT 66 .357 Magnum Expand $349.95 2 available at this price

If you have any kind of a gut as I do, weight will be an issue. The heavier gun will have a tendency to pull the old drawers down. Suspenders will help. As to model of gun, get something with enough heft so that recoil will not hurt you. I recently bought a model19 2.5" and it is a superb revolver. In fact it is more mechanically accurate than a 4" 19 that I also shoot. If you go with a .357 as a concealment/protection weapon you will be well armed with any of the quality models available. At the risk of offending I would also suggest you avoid Taurus products and current production S&W guns with the safety lock mechanism. Good luck in your decision.

Walter Smitty is right about the gut factor.

When not using one of the leather items above, I use the Smart Carry.

http://www.smartcarry.com

It's designed to be worn with the gun in the front and that's the only way it's advertised BUT I discovered a very cool thiing about it, since I have a littlel 'overhang' in front.

I wear it on the hip like a regular IWB holster.

It comes with it's own velcro belt, doesn't weigh down your pants, you don't need a $100 gun belt, shirt can be tucked more easily than with a leather holster or any that are hanging on your belt. You can wear it high or if deep concealment is needed you just push it down below your belt. When you sit on the throne, it stays around your waist not on the floor in yours pants and doesn't get left behind, like it might if you took it out of your pants. And if I'm carry a semi, it holds another magazine.

If you like cross draw, wear it on the other side.

It's also about 1/2 the cost of a good leather one.

It's very comfortable, soft tough denim material, well made and has a dampness fabric to prevent sweat from touching your gun.

I like it.

The trick to carrying any gun concealed is in the right holster on a real good belt. You can hide any gun comfortably with the right setup.

I've been carrying 30 years now and learned the hard way, My holster collecton is proof of that.

In .357 I carry either a Model 66 2 1/2 inch or a 4 inch in a pancake holster and it works fine for me. I just havn't gotten around to getting a IWB for them.

I swap around alot what I carry. I try and stick with my S&W 1911 5inch C&L in a wilson IWB holster. But with 35 handguns sitting there in the safe yelling take me. I like to take them out in the fresh air for a walk so they don't feel neglected.

Holsters can be very expensize, get a real good custom one and it well last you forever.

A "K" frame might be the answer for you, either a Mod 10, 12, 15 with a 2 inch barrel or a Model 19 or Model 66 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. That was a good suggestion, plus the 10, 12 (no longer made, an airweight 10) 19 and 66 (also no longer made) show up on the used gun market. I saw a used two inch Model 15 (also no longer made) at the Blue Northern Trading Company in Ayer yesterday, can't remember the price. I always thought that adjustable sights on a 2 inch "K" frame was an affectation of sorts, but it is also kind of cool too. S&W adjustables hold their zero pretty well.

Now the question that I have for you: why does it have to be a Smith & Wesson ? You might find a Ruger SP101 more to your liking or a Colt Detective Special or Detective Special II, or the .357 Carry Magnum (maybe the best snubbie Colt ever made). The Colts are lamentably out of production at this time, but they are out there on the used market, although usually the prices are a little hefty for used ordnance.

I think by wedding yourself only to S&W that you are limiting your options. There was a time in my life when my only brand allegiance was to the folks on Roosevelt Avenue in Springfield, but I gotta tell ya, over the years I discovered that there other makers out there that make some decent revolvers.

As one other poster pointed out, the secret to good carry is get a good belt. Folks will spend hundreds on guns, premium ammunition, a quality holster and then put it all together on a cheap Wal-Mart dress belt that simply won't cut it. Galco and Bianchi both make some classy looking belts that look like quality dress belts but will support the weight of a firearm. Don Hume makes some very nice belts at very attractive prices (around $45.00)...so don't neglect the belt or spare ammo carrier either (another topic for another time: speed strips, speed loaders, individual loop carriers, or loose cartridges in your pocket).

Good luck to you,

Mark

Back
Top Bottom