Norinco Sporter AK47 Question

Hello everyone,
I have a Norico sporter AK47 that I got from my father. do not now much about it but would like to remove the thumb hole stock and put a regular stock and pistol grip on it. the problem I am having is that it was once an underfolder stock so ther is a plate welded on the back of the reciever and there is an extra tab that hold the thumbhole stock on. Is there any way to put a pistolgrip and regular stock on this rifle. Thanks

Most likely doable. Some pics would help.
If it's like the ones I've seen you're looking at a bit of a pain in the a**.
It probably has a flat/solid stock trunnion block so you can't just insert a regular AK stock. I think it can be done but you may have to modify the new stock and/or modify the trunnion for this to be solid.
Possibly swap the trunnion to a WASR one and use a regular wood stock.
Or get a stock like this for a more standard feel.
8baoh-6.jpg

Also, if you modify it you have to make it 922r compliant.

Last edited:
I dont have a camera at the moment, wish I did. The reciver just says Norico sporter(does nott say mak90 like i thought it was). It has two caped holes for an under folder and a welded plate on the rear. the bolt for the pistol grip and a tang on the top hold the thumb hole on. I was not sure if anybody had seen one before.

I do not recall my father is holding on to the rifle until the morning when we do the transfer. but what if it did? I thought it was just on hole in the center but cant be sure till i look at it again

Its a stock conversion plate that allows the use of Ace,Tromix & DPH "Skeleton" type stocks on AK recievers, IMO a good thing.
post some pics,you may have to dremmel off the upper flange & bottom weld & insert a reciever block stock adapter,depending on what type of stock you want to upgrade to.Not a big deal either way.

Most likely doable. Some pics would help.
If it's like the ones I've seen you're looking at a bit of a pain in the a**.
It probably has a flat/solid stock trunnion block so you can't just insert a regular AK stock. I think it can be done but you may have to modify the new stock and drill the trunnion for this to be solid.
Possibly swap the trunnion to a WASR one and use a regular wood stock.
Or get a stock like this for a more standard feel.
8baoh-6.jpg

I belive your refering to the Milled reciever Bulgarian SLR-95 by Arsenal, which will not readily accept "standard/stamped " reciever stocks. I thought the Norinco was a stamped reciever (though I don't own one) & would'nt be as difficult

ETA*.. there is also a 922R compliance requirment when converting a "sporterized "AK" it must have a minimum a 5 U.S. made parts if in a pistolgrip configuration. (may not be worth it)

Last edited:
With a little more reading it seems (I may be wrong) Norinko stopped shipping any AK variants before our favorite AWB came info effect...therefore it MAY be a Pre-Ban and you MIGHT be able to convert it to a under-fold.

I thought it was a preban but the threads are turned off in the barrel. also I forgot to mention before that it has a slanted receiver, dont know if that makes a diffrence.

The confusion with Norinko AKs is the use of the term "pre/post ban." Few people specify weather they're talking about the 1989 Import Ban or the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. From what I gathered is they all came into the country before the 94 AWB. The pre'89 where in the classic AK look, the post'89 models where the thumb-hole. I think this is where the 922r compliance comes from. READ HERE
To be as clear as I can be - the '89 ban pertains to import, not possession.
Basically no importing military-looking Chinese AKs (wood stock/grip or under-fold).
IANAL - But I think you can make it into an under-fold (922 compliant).
Please don't take my word for it...research it your self.

YOU WILL HATE ME FOR THIS LINK (ATF)

With a little more reading it seems (I may be wrong) Norinko stopped shipping any AK variants before our favorite AWB came info effect...therefore it MAY be a Pre-Ban and you MIGHT be able to convert it to a under-fold.

Problem is, at least via the letter of the law, you could only do this if it was configured as an AW prior to the AWB cutoff. Most of the AKs imported at the time were left in the crippled "89-94 window" configuration. The usual argument of course is "who would know" and I doubt it's been tested either way in case law.

922R compliance is a whole other ballgame, but that's pretty easy to do if you change out enough parts.

-Mike

I took another look at the rifle today. It has no holes on the plate in the back of the rifle and the tang was added(welded on). Also I read that the date was stamepd infront of the serial number on norico rifles, all my rifle has is MSO22*** does this mean it is a preban? and dont norico's usually get stamed with "Mak90 sporter" or somthing like that not just "sporter". Thanks for all your help guys.

Problem is, at least via the letter of the law, you could only do this if it was configured as an AW prior to the AWB cutoff. Most of the AKs imported at the time were left in the crippled "89-94 window" configuration. The usual argument of course is "who would know" and I doubt it's been tested either way in case law.

922R compliance is a whole other ballgame, but that's pretty easy to do if you change out enough parts.

-Mike

I still don't quite understand that point in regards to AK's, since "Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models)" are specifically named in the law as semiautomatic assault weapons in addition to "a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--"...

Wouldn't the configuration thing apply to rifles that were not specifically named in the law, but made before the 9/94 cutoff date?

As an aside, Clinton banned most Chinese gun imports in early 1994 (before the AWB). But THEN you have the whole problem of the Polytech MAK-90's that were held up in customs until 1996... were they "lawfully possessed" before 9/94? And how does one know when their MAK-90 came out of customs?

READ HERE
I think it's a pre-'94 AWB, but making it an underfold is your call.
You could put on an under-fold stock and then neuter (read: "pin" or "weld") the stock if you want to stay on the safe side.

What I would do is, I would replace the wood to a more comfortable plastic thumb-hole (have one laying around) to make it more comfortable and do some more looking into making it an under-fold. I don't know if you want to change it because of looks or comfort.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have one more question, all underfolders the same? I cant find a Norinco Underfolder so i was thinking of using a bulgarian, would that work ok with my Norinco

Is this an NHM91?

Sounds like it might be.

It's probably an NHM-90, NHM-91's were Norinco's version of an RPK.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have one more question, all underfolders the same? I cant find a Norinco Underfolder so i was thinking of using a bulgarian, would that work ok with my Norinco

All underfolders are not the same, the biggest difference being between milled and stamped receiver guns. Also, (assuming yours is a stamped receiver) the Chicoms have a thicker receiver wall than most stamped AK's. If you intend to make this gun an underfolder AK, then I'd stick with Chicom parts (for compatibility), they can be found easy enough on the net (bearing in mind 922r compliance of course).

Chicom AK parts

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom