• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Not quite Milsurp, but

Well I'm pretty pleased; got the op rod guide installed and it's perfectly aligned. Op rod and bolt feel real nice when cycled.

I would like to do more tonight, but calling it a night - if I know myself I will end up rushing and break something.

Hey, what was the guidance from Jeff at Bula? Getting ready to tackle the op rod guide. Thanks [grin]

Hmmm...never knew that required alignment. I just squared the pin up after seating the guide and put the pin on. If the guide itself is really tight, you should probably use a set of calipers first to measure internal v. External diameters.

then use a plug or electrical tape over the muzzle and threads, and painters tape over the thickest part of the barrel in front of the guide...using a pipe slightly larger than the size of your barrel, the pipe end that will touch the guide wrapped in electrical tape or a piece of rubber tubing sliced lengthwise and placed over the lip, gently tap the guide into place. Obviously a piece of firm carpet or rubber under your receiver to keep from damaging it.

and I suppose you could probably use schedule 40 PVC or the likes if you don't want to use a steel pipe. Just don't force anything and you'll be alright.

I don't recall but didn't Tony Ben have something about dealing with new/tight ORs in one of his YouTubes?

Yep...tony's basically my illegitimate best friend these past few months. My girlfriend thinks it's creepy that I watch his videos before going to bed so I can get ready for the next days project sometimes.

LOL, after all these years there's not much I can do to creep out my wife. She might call 'boring' or 'nerdy' but not creepy.

I didn't see a Tony Ben video about a tight guide but I did see one about knurling a loose one. To get it aligned, he recommended matching up the GC and op rod so that the op rod is properly centered.

I removed the park from the inside of the guide and it now seems like I might be able to pound it on.

He (TonyBen) touched on the installation of the oprod guide for the Sage Chassis install video that I watched. Much to my surprise, when I went to install my oprod guide, it was too loose! I still need to knurl it before I delve into that build.

Just sent Dakar652 a PM to see if I can bum a cylinder wrench and shims- we're in the same area. Gas cylinder lock is hitting bottom either 12:00 or 3:30 via hand and rubber mallet bumps, depending on which side first. Way to far to tighten up, so I'll need shims. Yeah, I could leave it a hair loose and just go to the range and plink, but the goal is to shoot matches so shim I must. Ordered a set of shims from Treeline, so I can replace what I 'borrow' in case anyone has some. My new wrench is on the slow boat too.

So I'm pretty close to locking this thing up in its stock and heading out to the range this weekend. Gas cylinder shims should deliver today. Could leave it as is, but since I'll shoot in matches I want the GC tight against the shoulder. No idea on delivery for the wrench, but I have tools I can cover with rubber or leather and make do to get the GC locked up properly.

Overall, the parts are very high quality especially Bula's forged receiver and bolt. I had to remove some finish off of the op rod connector pin to ensure that it would not bind. Probably could have left the park inside the op rod guide and just driven it on more aggressively.

First M1a trigger I have assembled, and it was a bit of a bear. I used my rubber jawed ski tuning vise to help get the trigger pin lined up- the hammer spring is pretty stout.

We'll see what level of accuracy is possible with their medium weight barrel. Bula sets the headspace tighter than spec for 7.62 but not quite as tight as for .308, so that the chamber will run well with a variety of ammo. FYI, in case someone wants a tighter .308 chamber or something G.I. spec for 7.62- you should request when ordering or leave it uncut and do locally or by yourself if you have the skills and tools.

The level of challenge is definitely higher than assembling an AR. If you are comfortable assembling an AR and have at least some familiarity with the ol' steel and wood, this is a manageable project. If you have fully assembled a Garand, it will be almost as easy as that. I definitely would not recommend it as a first project.

Thanks all who helped with parts and/or advice...

I think I finally figured out my accuracy issue with mine. My scope cap was putting a literal c-hair of pressure on the front hand guard and was causing my shots to go all over the place when the barrel heated up. Took the scope cap off and am back on paper consistantly. I have 3 different types of ammo i'm trying today to see where I'm at with store bought ammo. (man do i HATE buying factory produced ammo now)

I'll post my results if I fixed my problem and I shoot well :D

Otherwise I'll just keep quiet until you guys forget about it and i'll mention it again in a few months.

i had already precision fit the handguard over a month ago. accuracy was fine until I installed butler creek caps on the scope of my XM21...the front cap was VERY VERY and I mean VERY lightly touching the handguard on the top...seems like that was enough. I'm not really sure why they even put the damn thing there if it effected accuracy so much. Perhaps to guard the shooters hand? :D

Re: the handguard.

In fitting my stock, I noticed my HG was making contact against the stock. It's important to sand or remove material on the HG to fix this. While I am in the stock fitting process, I have removed the HG for the time being.

anyone own a knurling tool? i'm finding this is going to be the only way to get my oprod guide to fit well on my EBR build.

Too loose for a JB weld job? You can always chisel in a series of chicken tracks, XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

edit-

GC shims delivered from Treeline M14. Nice quality, delivered VERY quickly. Set includes 3 shims of different thicknesses to cover 360 degrees. Had to use the 2 thickest ones. Maybe someday I'll find a lock that times correctly without a shim.

Last edited:
Too loose for a JB weld job? You can always chisel in a series of chicken tracks, XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

edit-

GC shims delivered from Treeline M14. Nice quality, delivered VERY quickly. Set includes 3 shims of different thicknesses to cover 360 degrees. Had to use the 2 thickest ones. Maybe someday I'll find a lock that times correctly without a shim.

Machine shop should be able to do a knurl job. I wish the machine shop was still open near me.
They can use a knurler the swages the knurls in raising the steel a little.
You can use a chisel and or punch to do do the same it's just not as pretty looking.

was thinking of getting this tool http://www.penntoolco.com/eagle-roc...oMnRkKbh1QIVkIhpCh0epARGEAQYASAB EgIQl_D_BwE

the machine shop i used to use had a simular type of set up but was a large bench unit with a center point lathe thing on one end.

Last edited by a moderator:
I shot our club's 100 yard reduced target walk and paste today, 471 with my AR.

Was gifted some 308 brass by another shooter, 110 pieces of PPU plus a crapload of mixed headstamp stuff. Wondering if there is any difference between the PPU 7.62 and 308 cases.......

https://imgur.com/a/Yx6Br

Im goingto say no. If its not NATO brass it will be the same as any other PPU brass.
if you take a 308 win cartridge dimension drawing and a 7.62 cartridge dimension drawings theres not a huge difference. in the out side dimensions. On Nato brass the web can be thicker and so can the case wall in that "case head separation zone" They did this knowing the NATO chamber was pretty Fn loose and if the brass was to thin it would have to many 1st shot case head seperation

7.62 is generally reported to be thicker. If you size 7.62 vs. .308 in the same dies, theoretically your 7.62 will have less internal volume. I'm going to guess that the difference is not enough to make a difference in loading, unless you are at the extreme edge of high grain weight- not something anyone really does for semi-auto. Assuming you use similar lots of brass for a match, shouldn't be an accuracy issue.

If you are using sizing dies that feature neck sizing bushings and you want to maintain similar neck pressure, you may need to go up a size in bushing to account for thicker brass- if indeed the brass is thicker at the neck. Someone's going to chime in and say that neck sizing is a bad idea for semi-auto. I'm talking about FL dies that use a bushing insert.

7.62 is generally reported to be thicker. If you size 7.62 vs. .308 in the same dies, theoretically your 7.62 will have less internal volume. I'm going to guess that the difference is not enough to make a difference in loading, unless you are at the extreme edge of high grain weight- not something anyone really does for semi-auto. Assuming you use similar lots of brass for a match, shouldn't be an accuracy issue.

If you are using sizing dies that feature neck sizing bushings and you want to maintain similar neck pressure, you may need to go up a size in bushing to account for thicker brass- if indeed the brass is thicker at the neck. Someone's going to chime in and say that neck sizing is a bad idea for semi-auto. I'm talking about FL dies that use a bushing insert.

load it shoot it.... Since I cant get out much maybe I will dissect some 308 brass I have on hand. I have a good amount of assorted stuff shot in god knows what platform. I have not been able to find specs on case neck thickness ?

Google Larry Gibson 308 vs 762 may or may not be accurate IDK but hes posted a good amount of info on the stuff.

As far as sizing 308 or 762 I don't think there will be a difference in case volume If your sizing back to spec? you would have to sqeeze the case below minimum specs to do that.

Last edited:
I could be talking out of my ass but if your concerned with case neck wall thickness between "NATO" vs "308 win" it's time to start neck turning for your reloads.
Case dimensions are the same... externally.

Chamber differences are different.

Last edited:
Interesting that the PPU probably has more beef than the LC. I'm not as big of a fan of LC as others. I may try it again, but I had neck splits on a few.30-06 cases on the first reload.

F-sticks regarding deliver of a replacement trigger. Vendor shipped asap, with tracking. USPS tracking shows dropped in mailbox yesterday, but it wasn't. Either USPS cheating on their reporting or the carrier dropped in wrong box. Highly doubt theft- never happened around here. I had a couple SLED's in that order as well- they were for the Postal Match winners.

Looks like I'll be bitching at my Post Office this morning- the phantom delivery has happened before. Our last two carriers were great- a lady and before that an older guy. We now have some younger snowflake who once skipped my box because the plowed snow would have made him reach another foot from his vehicle. I caught him on the way back down the street and was amused by his stammering excuse. @sshole is cramming boxes that are too big for the mailbox also.

Interesting that the PPU probably has more beef than the LC. I'm not as big of a fan of LC as others. I may try it again, but I had neck splits on a few.30-06 cases on the first reload.

F-sticks regarding deliver of a replacement trigger. Vendor shipped asap, with tracking. USPS tracking shows dropped in mailbox yesterday, but it wasn't. Either USPS cheating on their reporting or the carrier dropped in wrong box. Highly doubt theft- never happened around here. I had a couple SLED's in that order as well- they were for the Postal Match winners.

Looks like I'll be bitching at my Post Office this morning- the phantom delivery has happened before. Our last two carriers were great- a lady and before that an older guy. We now have some younger snowflake who once skipped my box because the plowed snow would have made him reach another foot from his vehicle. I caught him on the way back down the street and was amused by his stammering excuse. @sshole is cramming boxes that are too big for the mailbox also.

I have a shinning snow flake at the PO that's used to bitch when I was shipping out lots of fishing weights. Old lady used to nudge him aside and say "I will take care of that for you Nancy"
I have been hating the UPS/USPS cross delivery BS. I get home to find bags hanging from my mail box but they will refuse to pick up anything that does not fit in the box...
Our driver sucks sometimes she gets out to delivery stuff to the steps but she's a little lazy as she gets with in 5' and chucks the box onto the steps.

Last edited:
I have a shinning snow flake at the PO that's used to bitch when I was shipping out lots of fishing weights. Old lady used to nudge him aside and say "I will take care of that for you Nancy"
I have been hating the UPS/USPS cross delivery BS. I get home to find bags hanging from my mail box but they will refuse to pick up anything that does not fit in the box...
Our driver sucks sometimes she gets out to delivery stuff to the steps but she's a little lazy as she gets with in 5' and chucks the box onto the steps.

[rofl]

the copper to zinc ratio could be different also. Copper weighs more than zinc so a cartridge with a higher percentage of copper will weigh more.
How much more i have no idea.... Cut a few cases in half and see if there is a big difference with a cut away view.

Back
Top Bottom