Not quite Milsurp, but

it's orange...but i guess it might as well be pink.

my girlfriend is so 'anti-pink' i have to take anything pink out of anything before I give it to her or she gets all bent out of shape. we got some soda stream bottles a few months ago...blue, green and pink...guess who got the pink one.

i TRIED the JB weld, but it cured before I could even get the damn thing seated! the roll crimped pipe i used to get the op rod guide on it kinda wore the finish of a spot on my barrel too. oh well...good thing i'm not in it for the looks :D

I think you're right though...I can't see how it WOULDN'T help. I kinda wish i had the time to do them one at a time and test each individual tweak, but i'm lucky if i get to the range once a month these days. friggen crazy that I have to look at all you ugly bastards next sunday already...as long as it's felt, the winter kinda flew by for me this year.
what have you been running for ammo. A decent bullet goes a long way to better groups. I tossed together some bulk hornady 150s for a friend to run through his M1a standard few years back cut his groups in half vs any 7.62 Nato he used.

Dakar, I've found the best way to close up your groupings with the M14 and nearly any shoulder fired weapon is to get a lot closer to the target. :cool:

Finally got my McMillan stock for my XM25 build. :)

Oh man, I can't friggen wait to see how that thing shoots...and I KNOW you're going to actually shoot it :D

Are you posting your progress anywhere? Here or on the M14 forum?

what have you been running for ammo. A decent bullet goes a long way to better groups. I tossed together some bulk hornady 150s for a friend to run through his M1a standard few years back cut his groups in half vs any 7.62 Nato he used.

I've only done loads with 168 Noslers, but have been considering trying the 155's for the M14's...I have a thousand of them in the dungeon, so maybe I'll give them a shot soon. Next week for modern military it's either going to be the pooozeeee gun or a kalashnikov variant.

Oh man, I can't friggen wait to see how that thing shoots...and I KNOW you're going to actually shoot it :D

Are you posting your progress anywhere? Here or on the M14 forum?

Oh, I'll shoot it. I shoot everything I have. I've posted a few things over on the M14 Forum...just fitted the butt pad. When working on stuff I rarely think to document what I'm doing. I think the 'Deven's Cut' is a bit shallow so I'll have to correct that next. Baby steps in between other projects. Working on an 'Electron Gun' (high voltage feedthrough) at the moment. Electron Guns pay for real guns.

Hey Dakar- you loading up those 155's yet? I bought a box of the Nosler 155 CC's on sale last year (might be blems, IDK) and loaded them up with that 40 gr Varget in some free PPU brass courtesy of DW. Shot a 100-5X in prone and ended up with the silver, 5 points behind Franco. Basically loaded to mag length with some room to spare- I can give the actual OAL later.

Maybe hit the range sometime and you can try some of my loads? Only thing I did differently than usual was to trim the brass to uniform length.

Hey Dakar- you loading up those 155's yet? I bought a box of the Nosler 155 CC's on sale last year (might be blems, IDK) and loaded them up with that 40 gr Varget in some free PPU brass courtesy of DW. Shot a 100-5X in prone and ended up with the silver, 5 points behind Franco. Basically loaded to mag length with some room to spare- I can give the actual OAL later.

Maybe hit the range sometime and you can try some of my loads? Only thing I did differently than usual was to trim the brass to uniform length.

woweeee!!! and here I was thinking i was going to load the 155's for my 7.62x39 loads and get more out of them that way...nu-uh...no way...not anymore!

i feel like you just told me about a secret fishing hole or something :D

woweeee!!! and here I was thinking i was going to load the 155's for my 7.62x39 loads and get more out of them that way...nu-uh...no way...not anymore!

i feel like you just told me about a secret fishing hole or something :D
They are telling you about the old fishing hole, they have not told you they are all spinning on barrels for 6.5

They are telling you about the old fishing hole, they have not told you they are all spinning on barrels for 6.5

wait...who's building a Creedmoor?

I almost...ALMOST bought one the last time around...but was tempted with another deal that wasn't quite so frivolous.

As much as I like the IDEA of having a 1000yd capable round/firearm....is it really practical for around here?

I still WANT one...but won't be able to justify it until i move somewhere else.

LOL, the 155's seem to work well with the Bula chamber and barrel.

The 6.5CM barrel is very tempting, but I already built an AR in 6.5CM. It's almost boring to 600 yards so why make the M14/M1A boring? :D

wait...who's building a Creedmoor?

I almost...ALMOST bought one the last time around...but was tempted with another deal that wasn't quite so frivolous.

As much as I like the IDEA of having a 1000yd capable round/firearm....is it really practical for around here?

I still WANT one...but won't be able to justify it until i move somewhere else.
Only the cool kids have the 6.5

I’m hoping bula stops dicking around and offers a complete rifle for less than their competitors. Are they supplying complete rifles to military? If so how much.

I’m hoping bula stops dicking around and offers a complete rifle for less than their competitors. Are they supplying complete rifles to military? If so how much.

If Jeff sets up another special deal like last 4th of July, you'll have just about everything but the stock and mags. Build wasn't Legos easy like an AR, but no harder than an M1.

I think they’re
If Jeff sets up another special deal like last 4th of July, you'll have just about everything but the stock and mags. Build wasn't Legos easy like an AR, but no harder than an M1.

I had way more fun building the M14 than I ever did building an AR. All the fitting of the individual pieces to make them just right. It’s a little tedious, but well worth the effort. I’ve seen some drastic improvement in accuracy in my XM21 build since doing the few tweaks last weekend. Like...sub MOA somehow. I have no idea how it happened, and it may have been a fluke...but I took it to the range yesterday to test some different loads through it and it REALLY liked a couple of them. I’ll post pictures when I can take some calipers to the targets.

I think they’re

I had way more fun building the M14 than I ever did building an AR. All the fitting of the individual pieces to make them just right. It’s a little tedious, but well worth the effort. I’ve seen some drastic improvement in accuracy in my XM21 build since doing the few tweaks last weekend. Like...sub MOA somehow. I have no idea how it happened, and it may have been a fluke...but I took it to the range yesterday to test some different loads through it and it REALLY liked a couple of them. I’ll post pictures when I can take some calipers to the targets.

Nice! Was one of your tweaks shimming so that the GC was snugged up correctly?

Most likely not going to happen unless the deal is several hundred less than before.
I spent the last 2 years selling and scrounging to finish up a few projects, buying some optics and still need to buy some decent cases ,apaprox 8 for scopes rifles and others.
I'm running low on salable inventory that will bring in any decent play money. I got a raise last year and felt a little relief and thought just maybe if would have a few bucks to put away towards mystuff.......no sooner than I got my raise heath insurance went up and notice of real estate tax going up again pretty much back to square one.......no fun money.

Most likely not going to happen unless the deal is several hundred less than before.
I spent the last 2 years selling and scrounging to finish up a few projects, buying some optics and still need to buy some decent cases ,apaprox 8 for scopes rifles and others.
I'm running low on salable inventory that will bring in any decent play money. I got a raise last year and felt a little relief and thought just maybe if would have a few bucks to put away towards mystuff.......no sooner than I got my raise heath insurance went up and notice of real estate tax going up again pretty much back to square one.......no fun money.

My kids (college age) don't quite yet understand that all that stuff adds up- health insurance especially. Higher premiums every year + less coverage + higher co-pays will gobble up some serious disposable income. Just wait until they are making a reasonable income and want to spend some money on something fun...

I was planning on taking more time to slowly build the Bula, but the parts kit was going to be difficult to beat for pricing and comparable quality. Really nice deal on the stock from another NESer.

Nice! Was one of your tweaks shimming so that the GC was snugged up correctly?

yessir...i didn't even know that shimming a unitized gas cylinder could be of benefit, but i mostly did it to help the gas lock 'time' better so that everything was snug.

it's amazing too...i have 5 or 6 different shims and each one is only a hair thicker/thinner than the rest, but there were some that clearly weren't thick enough (left the gas lock timing around 7-8 o clock...and some that were too thick (timing at 2 or 3). Finally through trial and error found one that timed just after 5 and that last little snug was enough to keep the slop out...well, between THAT and the barrel peening. I'm not really certain as to which one had more of an effect on the accuracy as I'm seeing it now, but whatever it was made a YUGE difference...YUGE!

my next step is to hone in on that perfect load for it even more. gonna make some rounds between 44 and 46gr in .3gr increments and see where it's at and what it likes the best out of that mix. i've kinda been wondering where this rifle is going to fit in my collection, but looking at it last night I realized that it will make one HELL of a hunting rifle should I ever get around to hunting in a state where it's legal to use. accurate, reliable, easy to pack due to all the sling points/options, and fairly weather hardy due to the archangel stock being made of heavy plastic.

i was honestly floored when I saw the two rounds touching each other yesterday with 45.5gr of Varget. I'm not sure i've ever noticed that I've ever had a semi auto that could even perform like that...let alone with a stock I bought for $160 that looks like it could be made by fisher price. who knows though...it could have nothing to do with the stock either. it's a REALLY tight fit though, and I even had to shave down the points where the trigger shoes make contact so I could get the guard to close without bending anything.

44-46 grains of Varget , seems a bit stout for M1a?
Your 155s got to be getting up there 2900fps+?
With 168s your really pushing the envelope.

You know me though I run just enough powder to function and he accurate to 200 yards. I used 40.5 grains of 4895 in the 308M1 seemed to do ok and if I had a puller pretty sure I could have cleaned the slow fire.
If I ever get time I will probably start with like 37 grains and find that minimum charge for function and accuracy. Keeps that front sight from jumping off target

Last edited:
44-46 seems wicked high and bordering on dangerous..... That's a 30-06 load.

Agreed- 46 gr Varget basically is my Garand .30-06 load.

Perhaps Dakar pissed off his girlfriend and she edited his reloading notes? Something about making a sandwich...

44-46 seems wicked high and bordering on dangerous..... That's a 30-06 load.
Getting up there for sure, dangerous maybe not for chamber pressure but running M1a action hard. Like Franco says cheap poozzzy rounds for me. My normal 06 garand load is 42.5 grains varget. Running a touch over 2400fps

gee...maybe Franco was right about you guys...lol.

i don't know what to tell ya...my Nosler manual is plain as paper 42-46gr Varget for the 168gr CC HPBT
IMG_0859.jpg IMG_0860.jpg

i'll admit, I single load with the gas system off when I'm testing reloads on the XM21, but she sure liked what I fed her today. i took the mid-range of my most accurate loads from last time and split them up into even more groups with less variation of charge between each group so I could really see where the sweet spot is.

IMG_0853.jpg

today's results were better than I could have ever expected, as there seems to be a nice wide(ish) range of charges it likes...at least a half grain of leeway in either direction, but I think i'll go with 44.2gr because it's at the lower end of the mid-range, but also the best of the bunch. there were other targets for lower and higher charges, but the rifle didn't like either. the nosler manual states that 44gr was the most accurate load tested....I found slightly better luck with just a little more oooh-la.

IMG_0854.jpg IMG_0855.jpg IMG_0856.jpg IMG_0857.jpg IMG_0858.jpg

normally with the Garands I've been shooting as low of a charge as possibe...I guess what you're telling me is that I need to find something lower for the XM21?

regardless...it was a good day at the range and I'm glad i at least found a load that 'works' in the XM21...even if it's not optimal. i'll try out the 155's at some point and see if i can find something that makes a little more sense for the platform in regards to longevity of the parts.

IMG_0852.jpg

just out of curiosity...what are you guys using for loads?

i don't know what to tell ya...my Nosler manual is plain as paper 42-46gr Varget for the 168gr CC HPBT
View attachment 233963 View attachment 233965

i'll admit, I single load with the gas system off when I'm testing reloads on the XM21, but she sure liked what I fed her today. i took the mid-range of my most accurate loads from last time and split them up into even more groups with less variation of charge between each group so I could really see where the sweet spot is.

View attachment 233971

today's results were better than I could have ever expected, as there seems to be a nice wide(ish) range of charges it likes...at least a half grain of leeway in either direction, but I think i'll go with 44.2gr because it's at the lower end of the mid-range, but also the best of the bunch. there were other targets for lower and higher charges, but the rifle didn't like either. the nosler manual states that 44gr was the most accurate load tested....I found slightly better luck with just a little more oooh-la.

View attachment 233970 View attachment 233969 View attachment 233968 View attachment 233967 View attachment 233966

normally with the Garands I've been shooting as low of a charge as possibe...I guess what you're telling me is that I need to find something lower for the XM21?

regardless...it was a good day at the range and I'm glad i at least found a load that 'works' in the XM21...even if it's not optimal. i'll try out the 155's at some point and see if i can find something that makes a little more sense for the platform in regards to longevity of the parts.

View attachment 233972

Well you know me I'm a pooosey. Now you do know that nosler load data is for a 308 bolt gun right.
Not that the chamber can't handle your loads on your M1a .

moving on. My loads are loaded to conditions. I know I will only be shooting 200 yards at a 3moa 10 ring I don't need much to get there. Since I already know for my 06 garand that I do not see any gains in groups of scores with charges above 44 grains. Most of my posts for the garand loading are scrubbed of pics of my results.
308 M1 I'm at a whimpy load of 40grains. Have not had the time to work on the 308M1 yet.
Only one good M1a shooter I know other than Franco said this. With the common garand/M1 burnrate powders 40-42 grains will get you there better than you can hold except 748 as it can go a bit higher on the charge.
His go to load is 2520 at 42 grains which he used for 600yards.

View attachment 233963 View attachment 233965

View attachment 233971

View attachment 233970 View attachment 233969 View attachment 233968 View attachment 233967 View attachment 233966

View attachment 233972

just to add Noslers "accuracy" results are from a 2 4 lija barrel. Not sure if it's a universal testing rig or some other testing device.

My Hornady manual has a 308 Winchester and a 308 Service Rifle section - much like it has a 30-06 and M1 Garand section.

Hornady is usually a little conservative. In 308 Win, it lists 44.0 under a 168g as a Max charge. In 308 SR, 42.7 is max

I run 41.0 IMR4895 under a 168cc.... (Hornady has 41.4 as a max load for this combo)

Dakar, nice groups with the Bula. Looks like it's sorted out quite well. As mentioned, 40.0 Varget pushing 155's. SMK's or Nosler CC's- really no difference. Possibly my best CMP score ever with this load?

I’m definitely open to trying different loads/lower charges with different powders, for sure. I’m mostly just really really stoked that my rifle can even group like it did at all.

I essentially turn my M14 into a bolt action when I shut the gas system off, so no harm was done to the action/gas system/op rod.

Got bored today and did a little fitting on the XM25 project.

The 'Deven's' cut from McMillan was a bit shallow preventing the trigger group from closing...by a mile. I tossed it in the mill and lowered the floor 0.030". I also filed a bit off one of the 'wing' pads to get the trigger group to sit correctly.

Making a little dust.
oIU91xE.jpg

Hey...it fits with really tight lockup! Barrel collar installed for draw pressure.
3eMYKHG.jpg

This is the Brookfield Precision Tool stock liner mounted to the receiver in case you're curious.
5zemUpD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom