• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nra Range officer training

I'm looking for an nra instructor that can message me. My club is trying to get at least 5 people certified as range safety officers I figured I'd send it out to you guys first.
I may want to get both the RSO and instructor training as well.

Contact Scouter-Rick, in fact he's teaching it May 1st.

May 1 - NRA Chief Range safety Officer. Taunton, MA, $200
https://www.nrainstructors.org/Cour...ate=y&SearchState=MA&id=29&bsa=&youth=&women=

If you get enough people, perhaps he'll come to your club.

Otherwise reach out to Jon Green at GOAL, I understand that he runs an awesome RSO course.

It is a deadly boring course, so having a dynamite instructor can minimize the number of people who fall asleep in that class.

Only if you are already an NRA instructor. from NRA online training web page. Course Prerequisites
You must be a currently certified NRA instructor in a firearms discipline to participate in this online course.

Thanks. I just did it online for the heck of it a while back and didn't realize my instructor cert was why I was able to do it.

Otherwise reach out to Jon Green at GOAL, I understand that he runs an awesome RSO course.
It is a deadly boring course, so having a dynamite instructor can minimize the number of people who fall asleep in that class.

Jon Green at GOAL runs a great RSO class. He came to the club and had a number of suggestions re. safety.
(When is the last time you opened your first aid box and counted the remaining bandaids.)

Thanks guys just put two brand new first aide kits in one at the range one at the club we have an EMT that's a member so he's actually great about that stuff.

I'm trying to find out how many people want to take the course then I'm going to talk to these guys

I have traveled to many clubs to run NRA RSO Certification and would be happy to discuss it if asked. Unlike online versions of the course I am very fond of hands on experience with many action types.

-Rick

Jon Green at GOAL runs a great RSO class. He came to the club and had a number of suggestions re. safety.
(When is the last time you opened your first aid box and counted the remaining bandaids.)

Just took Jon Green's 2 day RSO course this past weekend at Riverside R&G. Great experience and very hands on...

Just curious - did you find a policy that offers a discount for NRA RSO status?

No we didn't find a discount but there has been a massive increase and use of our range and like from virtually nothing to daily use and we want to be able to show we have people certified to show the club has made an effort to operate shoots as safely as possible

About 5 years ago I ordered the class by mail and got a packet with the materials and test. It was probably 4-5 hours to read and complete the test. Mailed it all in and got my cert. Very easy

No we didn't find a discount but there has been a massive increase and use of our range and like from virtually nothing to daily use and we want to be able to show we have people certified to show the club has made an effort to operate shoots as safely as possible

For the love of god, don't make RSOs a requirement to use the range(s).

Someone made a comment about getting RSO training for insurance purposes.

I was asking if there are any gun club liability policies that offer discounts for having certified RSOs on staff.

Not that I'm aware of. We have NRA club insurance at MF&G and it is not a requirement and I don't think NRA insurance discounts anything.

Just curious - did you find a policy that offers a discount for NRA RSO status?

Discount might be the wrong word. If you solicit insurance quotes, underwriters from some companies may offer reduced premiums for ranges with posted rules, mandatory hearing and eye protection, built to some specification such as NRA, supervision, supervision via NRA Instructors, etc. Premiums are not solely based upon risk but on amount of liability coverage, medical payments, prior claims etc.

Insurance companies make it difficult to compare orange to orange quotes. An application from Philadelphia Insurance shows what an underwriter might consider. https://www.phly.com/Files/Application - Shooting Range31-1784.pdf

RSO's might help a range maintain safety standards which could lower the likelihood of a claim, not necessarily the cost of the policy.

Honestly, I can't think of a worse idea than trusting an NRA class to certify a person to be in charge of range safety.

How about you just pick the most responsible and experienced members of the club instead?

It's a national metric of education - it's like saying I've got a diploma from State College Name vs saying "I read the books, hold my beer..."

Dude, having an NRA cert for anything is not a metric of education in any way.

There are so many complete retards out there teaching safety courses you should know this.

May 1 - NRA Chief Range safety Officer. Taunton, MA, $200
https://www.nrainstructors.org/Cour...ate=y&SearchState=MA&id=29&bsa=&youth=&women=

If you get enough people, perhaps he'll come to your club.

THis may have already been mentioned (I do not want to read all these posts) but the Chief RSO course/certification is different from the RSO course/certification.

Honestly, I can't think of a worse idea than trusting an NRA class to certify a person to be in charge of range safety.

How about you just pick the most responsible and experienced members of the club instead?
Perhaps because insurance companies are looking for something more than responsible experienced club members?

Dude, having an NRA cert for anything is not a metric of education in any way.

There are so many complete retards out there teaching safety courses you should know this.

Now don't confuse what I said for agreeing with it being the "Ultimate Metric for Safety Training", just the nationally recognized one. And you're right, some teachers are smarter/better than others.

I just completed the on-line RSO class (long story, but someone wanted me certified and was willing to pay for it).

The class was decent, but I think it's unfortunate the NRA is choosing to milk its online courses as cash cows rather than as a service to members. $125 to look at a couple hundered slides with audio narration and take an on-line exam to earn a PDF certificate is in my opinion a bit steep, and will discourage people from taking this class.

I always use to think that if there was an injury on the range that the procedure was to call 911 and render first aid. Now that I have taken the course, I know the procedure is to refer to the range SOP and call the emergency number listed in that document :).

Back
Top Bottom